1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gigging with Fender GUITAR Heads ... and an 8x10???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MOTORHEADBANGER, Sep 23, 2010.

1. MOTORHEADBANGER

MOTORHEADBANGER Spud-boy looking for a real tomato

Dec 23, 2008
    Sidney, Indiana
    I have been (like most other bassist) searching for that special head/amp that has tone and enough power. I am a big fan of tube amps. I enjoy the warmth they add to my tone, even when at low volumes. I recently played through an old 70's Silverface Fender combo (a VibroChamp to be exact), and it truly sounded amazing. Not very much power of course, but amazing tone. Last week I played through a friends old Fender Super Twin (180 watts of power) and I was just blown away.

Are there any reasonably priced guitar heads or combo's(I would disconnect the speakers) made by Fender that would be good for gigging? I use an early 90's Trace Elliot 1084 8x10 cab and I do enjoy quite a bit of volume.

My tone is usually very Geddy Lee like, but I do sometimes go for a rounded vintage tone for smooth stuff, and heavy midrange for really heavy pieces. I have a VT Bass pedal for more overdriven tones, so that is not a problem.

2. hartke20g

hartke20g

Apr 12, 2006
    miami, FL
    reasonably priced? no.:p but there are a BUNCH out there to try out.
    i used a friend's Fender twin reverb (1974 i believe) hooked up to my 4x10 and 1x15 once and i loved every second of it. nice tubey tone to it, LOTS of power, not too much breakup, and i cut through the mix perfectly whilst still keeping the low-end (3 piece punk band). he's trying to sell it, so i might pick it up (only issue is it likes to kill power tubes, but he never took care of it so it's to be expected).
    i also liked the added bonus of having a reverb control :D

3. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Nothing wrong with that. Bassmans, Dual Showmans, even Twins can make great heads of you got enough speakers to get loud enough (like 8 of them).

4. IntrepidCellist

IntrepidCellist Supporting Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Manhattan
    100W Dual Showman + 2x15 = great guitar and bass tone.

5. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    The red knob "evil" twins sell for pretty cheap, $500 give or take. 100w, people hate 'em.

6. toobalicious

toobalicious

May 6, 2008
    triad, nc
    idk why one would look for a guitar amp for this application, seeing as how the bassman 100's and 135's are still so readily available for less than most new SS heads...

7. Hi.

The PA100 and PA135 are even less and have a spring reverb, so I don't get it either.

Granted, playing through a "guitar head" is a great experience, and people constantly ask here and on other sites if it's all right to use a guitar amp with bass. That said, usually the guitar amp they're asking to use is already available. Not too many bassists buy guitar gear unless guitar is their other (secret ;)) passion.

Regards
    Sam

8. cjohnnick

cjohnnick

Aug 3, 2009
    forget the Fenders.

Ampeg V4 all the way

9. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Where 60s-70s era Fenders are concerned there's little difference between amps built on the same chassis. My preference is for those that have a middle tone control, otherwise four 6L6s are four 6L6s.

10. it's great how much muscians will judge something with their eyes rather than their ears

11. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    my super twin (converted to head) actually blows my '72 ampeg V4B in the weeds (but i do really loves me V4B).

supertwin-2-w.jpg

supertwin-5-w.jpg

12. MOTORHEADBANGER

MOTORHEADBANGER Spud-boy looking for a real tomato

Dec 23, 2008
    Sidney, Indiana
    I about crapped myself when I saw that Super Twin head, John. It is truly beautiful. How hard and how much was it to make that head?

Also how are the old Bassman 100 and 135's, Super series heads, and the Red knob aka "Evil" series heads and combos as far as tone and power?

13. the 180watts will be the input current draw not the actual output wattage, it'll do 100 with a quad of 6l6's

14. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    My twin reverb almost tears my 410HLF apart if I peg the volume. Plenty loud for me. I would use it today if it had a DI built in. It's one of my many projects...

15. He is talking about the fender super twin, it has a few more under the hood.;)

16. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Inactive Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Fender Super Twin

Weight: 95 lbs. :eek:

Speaker

* Size: 2 x 12
    * Impedance: 4 ohms
    * Model: Oxford, Utah, CTS(For more info, check out the Jensen Replacement Speakers)

Effects: Active EQ, Distortion

~Watts: 180 watts

Tubes

* Pre amp: 2 x 7025
    * Power: 6 c 6L6

Bias: Fixed with Bias Pot.
    Rectifier: Solid State

Comments: Active EQ: 12AU7

17. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Adding a DI to Fenders is simple, you tap each side of the inverter tube, for plus and minus to feed an XLR. It must of course be capacitor isolated and resistor padded, preferably via a 100K or better dual pot.

18. top028

top028

Dec 14, 1999
    Lancaster, PA
    The big difference is:

a. output transformer impedance
    b. bypass capacitors

Dual showman makes a great amp at 8 ohm output. The Bassmans have a 2 ohm output. Speaker selection can be personal preference, knowing that hooking higher than "optimum" rated load may reduce overall low-end response. All fender amps can be converted to produce lower frequency response with a capacitor change in the preamp section. I love my bassmans and have no problem keeping up with a band using only 100 watts and 2x15s or 2x10 and a 15. I have also increased the size of the bypass caps, to lower response. Farting can be an issue, so close attention has to be paid to the bass knob, which is more powerful than ever. If pushed hard (like I do) be prepared to re-tube yearly to retain low end.

19. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    score a bassman 135 and you'll be in lemmy heaven.

20. toobalicious

toobalicious

May 6, 2008
    triad, nc
    you forgot: c. current market value :crying: