Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gigging with my practice amp (Hartke Kickback)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ZuluFunk, Feb 28, 2003.

1. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    What the heck...
    smaller room, no drums - only congas, the guitarist is going with his accoustic and running through his SWR strawberry blonde...why not take advantage of the situation?

My gig rig is pretty heavy, though I probably would manage with the head and 210. The venue has a really narrow stairway and not much room on 'stage'.

I'll just plop this baby on a table top behind the conga'er and run an XLR to the PA...

Here's a link to the show... if you're in the area and you want to experience the gut-rocking bottom end of my 120-watt, 42lb monster!!!

2. K-Frog

K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
    I say that's what small, yet adequate combos are for. You'll probably enjoy it and try to press it into service where you wouldn't have considered it before. Let us know how it works out.
    K

3. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I've gigged with with a kickback 12 lots of times, it's a great little amp, that can get loud enough if you need it. I love that you can tilt it also!

4. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    We used my Kickback (12) in several gigs against 2 guitars, a steel guitar, bass and drums. The XLR works very well.

5. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Worked out very well.
    I didn't run the XLR out even. The PA was louder than it should have been, but I wasn't going to make things worse by cranking the amp.

The singer got lit. It got a little sloppy, but it was fun.

And I carried all my gear in one trip.

One bass on my back, book bag w/cables etc on one shoulder, 2nd bass in one hand, amp in the other.

Fit everything in my TT!!!:cool:

Give me convenience or give me death!!!

6. I'm jealous!!!

I've wanted our band to to a 'Pseudo unplugged' or 'quasi-acoustic' gig like that (acoustic guitars, conga/djembe, etc).

The little Hartke should be fine, have fun and let us know how it went!!

7. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    I just did. :D

8. Ooops, how the hell did I miss that? Distractions will be the death of me.

Congrats.:)

9. dave_clark69

dave_clark69 Guest

Jan 17, 2003
    great idea a hint that you may not use is that if you put on the tilt it shoiuld make it louder so if you put it on the tilt and at a 45 degree angle to a wall. just try it out at home, i have a 15 watt amp that is built in to a sound cabinet where it is air tight and it actually makes the osund better becuase it acts just like a a valve amp where it makes it 3x more efficient. you may not want to use it in your gig but at home it is worth it trust me

10. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Thanks for the tip.
    I had it tilted and about a foot from the wall.
    It was plenty loud. If I needed more volume, I would have run through the PA too because I would have really had to blast to project over the PA speakers in the back of the room.