1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gigging with the 70's legends..

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Chronicle, Aug 3, 2007.

1. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    So my bass teacher, Randy Coven, is inviting me to be his bass tech. and to possibly play with him on September 8th at Five towns on Long Island. The drummer will be Carmin Appice from Vanilla fudge and Randy has played with Yngwie.

I'm not a tech professionally yet so i wanted to know some tips people could throw in, he's picking me for a tech because i know a lot about the technical stuff about pedals, amps, and basses.

2. BigOleBoogie

BigOleBoogie

Apr 10, 2007
    Indiana
    My GAWD! You take lessons from Randy Coven. Dood. I used to learn bits and pieces off of Funk my Tender and then Sammy Says Ouch. That was such a lifetime ago it seems.

High effin Five!

Oh, a tip.....read, learn all you can about everything that will be on the tour and do NOT say no. You don't know where this particular opportunity will take you.

3. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    God, I'd love to play with Carmine Appice. One of the originators of rock drumming and still flat out awesome. You're a lucky guy!

4. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    Actually Randy says it's difficult playing with Carmine- since he's such a crazy drummer lol I saw their last five towns presentation and Randy kept getting lost. :p

Randy's very impressed with the equipment i'm buying. He especially likes the Guyatone BR-2 :)

5. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY

yeah he does lessons in Copaigue NY and i drive 20mins every wednesday to go there :p

6. Let's hope carmen doesn't read this, Randy might lose a future gig....

7. johnvice

johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    I have 'Funk Me Tender' that is an awesome bass record! In addition to his killer chops, he has a solid grounding in music theory. I have to thank his GFTPM columns on modal scales as I coudl not have learned them without him making them so cool :)

You are luckyto have him as a teacher.

8. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    Nah, Carmine knew lol You just see Randy going like ???? as Carmine pounds the hell out of the drums.

9. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Just have fun. They are just regular guys, albeit, amazing at their instruments!

I played a few songs recently with the guitarist of Moxy (really big in the 70's) and even though I was nervous at first, I realized I knew the tunes we were playing inside out (a few covers) and as well as anybody and decided to just have some fun. It was great.

As far as sound goes, guys like the Appice and the others will likely guide you and help you as they have been doing this for years and know pretty much what they want.

Good luck!

10. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    Update: Randy wants to borrow my pedalboard for recording his new solo album =o