1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gigging Your Studio Gear

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by icorn25, Sep 16, 2020.

1. icorn25

icorn25

Jun 7, 2007
    Temecula, CA
    I am considering selling all of my very expensive pedals that mimic high-end studio and buying the real-deal studio equipment to use live. Am I crazy?!

First off, I am a spoiled musician that gets to play at church every week with the same set-up, reliable power, quality sound equipment, and high-end in-ears. If I am not playing at church, then I am at home recording. I have been recording more often and was considering purchasing the sweet sweet tube analog outboard gear that we all love.

The thought occurred to me that if I kept an LA-2A compressor, 1073 mic pre, and a power conditioner in a rack, then I could easily roll into church on Sundays. This way I could sell my Noble DI, Cali-76 TX compressor, and a few other pedals to help fund the new gear.

Of course, I wanted to get y'alls opinion first. Do any of you have similar setups? Other than the weight of lugging this gear around, what other downsides are there?

2. One major downside is theft. Churches do get broken into, and gear stolen. Especially if it’s more expensive gear. If you intend to leave the expensive studio gear at your home studio - go for it. If you take it to church, haul it there and back every time.

3. I’d say the weight is the main downside. A rack with more than 4 spaces of gear gets heavy pretty quick, especially if you have skinny arms like mine. That’s why I broke mine down to two racks.

It sounds like you’re going to be taking the rack back and forth to home, but Guild has a good point. If the gear is going to be left at church, might check to see if their insurance will cover your personal equipment in the event of a break-in.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Ecclesia: Unique Arrangements of Hymns, P&W Standards, and Original Tunes
    Administrator, Pedulla Club #45
    Administrator, Tobias Club #133
    Fretless Club #943
    Big Cabs Club #23
    My Rig: Stage and FOH Friendly
    My Basses

4. icorn25

icorn25

Jun 7, 2007
    Temecula, CA
    Very good points. There is no way I would leave this gear at the church. Unfortunately, I witnessed exactly what you guys are talking about in the past.

I did quite a bit of research and I haven’t come across anyone that uses a setup like this in live situations. I was just curious, “why not”? Especially with in-ears, I can only assume the result is glorifying bass tones for God. :)

WayneP likes this.
  5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 16, 2021