1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Gigless tonight. NYE

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by markoc, Dec 31, 2017.

Tags:
  1. markoc

markoc

Jan 6, 2014
    North San Diego
    Enjoying my first NYE off in about 15 yrs. At 50 years old I've probably played 25 of them.
    My friends are playing at the pub down the street from home so I may walk over and see a set. Outside that I'm looking forward to a quiet night at home.
    Happy New Year TalkBassers!

McG, Wisebass, mwbonsall and 6 others like this.
  2. Datsgor

Datsgor Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2000
    California
    Me too. My gig was cancelled but I still got paid per the contract.It turned out to be a good thing because a cold is blowing up on me right now so I am glad to home. Happy New Year.

3. markoc

markoc

Jan 6, 2014
    North San Diego
    So you had the perfect NYE gig.

4. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

congratulations gentlemen! no gig here either. happy new year! :hyper:

5. twinjet

twinjet GE90-equipped Moderator Staff Member

Sep 23, 2008
    I'm at work, so no gig for me. However, I am eating a great meal on the clock. Guess I haven't got it all bad.

McG, mwbonsall, Sore Thumb and 4 others like this.
  6. Old Blastard

Old Blastard

Aug 18, 2013
    Virginia
    We took all of December off.

Question is, will we be back together in the New Year?

mwbonsall and markoc like this.
  7. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

I haven't spent NYE at home with my family in a long time. We had a glass of wine, old Carol Burnett shows on the DVD, and chocolate. It was very nice. Happy New Year everyone. May you be richly blessed in the coming year.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Jimmy4string, SWRnut, McG and 8 others like this.
  8. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    No NYE gig for me last night. I haven't played one in a while but the last few I did were less than memorable. Maybe it was the crap WNY weather that kept people home, the fear of a DWI or the fact it was $h!tholes we were playing...... or perhaps it was all of the above.

Old Blastard and mwbonsall like this.
  9. SWRnut

SWRnut Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2008
    Columbia, SC
    I had hand surgery at the end of November, so we weren't sure how recovery would go, so we didn't bother looking for a gig. Fortunately, my hand came back much faster than expected, but I sat at home for the first time in about forty years.

Ubersheist likes this.
  10. I didn't have a gig for the first time in probably 10 years on NYE. Instead, I invited friends over, got drunk/high (now legal in CA!), ate tons of good food, and everyone got naked in the hot tub. My buddy Eric got plastered and fell onto a chandelier that my roommate was putting together, smashing it up good. :-/ Otherwise, it was a great night.

McG likes this.
  11. I played with my 60's band The Cruise Brothers, and had a great crowd which featured an East Coast New Year toast at 9:00 PM PST, and another at Midnight. The crowd didn't start thinning until around 11:00, which is out of the ordinary for people of my vintage. LOTS of fun.

mwbonsall, McG and Jimmy4string like this.