Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gigs in Colorado - Blueszilla live in CO

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Blueszilla, Apr 25, 2005.

1. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    I am subbing at the end of this week for four shows with the Todd Tijerina Band. The regular bassist has prior committments.

We'll appear at Southside Johnny's in Colorado Springs on 4/28 at 9 pm, at The Foundry in Boulder on 4/29, music starts at 10 PM. On Saturday 4/30 we'll be at the Eagle Grill in Longmont, starting at 8 pm and finally on Sunday 5/1 we'll play at Lincoln's Roadhouse in Denver, starting at 3:30 pm.

All are welcome, should be fun. If you're into the blues, it would be cool to meet some of you guys.

BZ

2. Awww man! I'll be at the boulder theater seeing wooten and company Friday night. When do you go on at the foundry? It's a 3 person birthday celebration and probably a 12 person drunkening at some point. We'll be bar crawlin though I'm sure. let me know when you're supposed to be up if you can and I'll see if we can make it. Half of the party are musicians. Shouldn't be to hard to twist an arm...

3. Blueszilla

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City

We start at 10 on Friday, at least that's what I've been told. Should be a great time to see VW. Have fun!

Thanks for the bump SMASH. Hey, I've been moderated! :eek:

4. Thanks! I've seen him a few times already. It's always a great show until Reggie plays. It's his brother that kills the show IMO with that squire strat he's soooo proud of. I saw him at copper mountain maybe two weeks ago with a bunch of great musicians and then Reggie went off and I left. Shame really... He's great... lots of skills... but no taste.

I hope I can get down there. I don't get near enough blues as is. I'll be twisting arms all night if I have to!

5. Eggman

Eggman

Dec 3, 2004
    Denver, Colorado
    Thanks for the info - I'd try to go to Lincoln's Roadhouse but I too have an early gig that day. Good luck.

Eggman

6. The Todd Tijerina Band is great. Unfortunately I'm on the other side of the mountains. Have fun.

7. Blueszilla

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    Well the gigs themselves went well enough. We got progressivley better as they went by and I learned the material better and better. I had a very limited rehearsal time: only two sessions with Todd, both without the drummer so some endings/beginnings were a bit rough the first night or two. In Colorado Springs the weather played havoc with the crowd as about 11:30 it started raining/snowing and the substantial crowd (for a Thursday night) suddenly disappeared. Up to that point we had the place rocking pretty well. On Friday at the Foundry in Boulder, it was more fun. Big club, sound system and sound man (special thanks to Cary) and good looking folks. He was very complimentary of my tone in particular (bonus!). Big stage and they were obviously experienced with loud music. Club manager said they normally were packed, but this was finals week so not as large as usual, still a good crowd and quite enthusiastic, they stayed until closing. Good fun. saturday in Longmont at the Eagle grill was a lot different, more of a neighborhood sports bar, but appreciative just the same. We had interviewed on an independent radio station earlier in the day and several folks were there because of that. sunday at Lincoln's Roadhouse was cool. Cary the soundman from the Foundry showed up, I guess he liked the band. Decent crowd, mostly the corporate biker type and great gumbo.

Like I said the gigs were cool, but traveling was a bit uncomfortable, 3 guys one van and all our stuff. Since I was a sub-sti-tute the off time was a bit odd. The other guys knew each other well, and I did do some gigs with them a few years ago, but never traveled with them. I'm glad the music went well at least and I stayed with my daughter for the night in the Springs, so it wasn't all bad. I'll think twice about doing it again though. So much of touring is the non-musical quality of the experience and if that is uncomfortable than IMHO the music can't make up for it. OTOH, if the traveling is smooth (I don't know, maybe a tour bus, good food, a chance to sleep...) than its cool.

How about you? Tell me about your experiences and what makes them good or bad.

8. Hey man,

Sorry I missed you at the Foundry on Friday. I saw wooten and ended up playing that night at my three friends B-day bash instead of bar hopping. Hope to see you at some point though! Glad the music went well!

9. Blueszilla

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City

No worrries, glad you were able to play, that is always the goal, yes? I think Todd is trying to put together another short tour, as we were asked back at every venue. He said something about August or October. I'll post updates if and when it happens.

10. Please do! I can usually organize a 6-10 person posse of musicians to go see people play! I would love to catch you next time around and introduce myself.