Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gigs in the San Francisco area

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Lisa Weiss, Mar 29, 2002.

1. I'm going to be in the San Francisco area, and should have a free night on April 12. Anyone playing anywhere around San Francisco then?

Lisa

2. Jazzbo and Big Wheel live in SF, and I'm only about 50 miles away.

What kinda gigs are you interested in checking out? It's San Fran, so you'd be able to find just about anything.

3. I'm more interested in checking you guys out than any particular music style. :D I like just about everything but Rap and Country. I'm going to be in Healdsburg the 9th through the 14th, but I have a day off on the 12th, so we're going to head to SF to check it out. I've never been, so I'm really looking forward to it!

Lisa

4. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Well, I was gonna keep my mouth shut until I found out, but since you mentioned J and me...

I don't know if I have a gig that night yet. I think a friend of mine does. While he's not a TalkBasser, It would be one rare opportunity to see a 1965 (?) Fender Bass VI being played.

I gotta confirm some dates, though.

5. :eek:

Sorry for outin' ya like that Big Wheel and Jazzbo.

Lisa, sadly I do not have a gig. :( I guess one would need to be in a band for that. God, working so much really sucks. :mad:

6. Well, hey...if nothing else, maybe we can all get together and listen to someone else. Juest learned my dates may flux a bit too. My hubby may have to do some work in Sacremento, which will change my free days to the 13th and 14th. I'll keep ya'll posted!

Lisa

7. If you are going from San Fran to Sac, I assume you'll be taking I-80. If thats the case, you'll be going right past me.
    :D

Now if you care or not is another story altogether. :D

Have fun while you're in the area, whatever you decide to do.

8. Well...*I* won't be going to Sacremento....my hubby will! I'll be in a workshop with Larry Robinson those days doing inlay. :D

Lisa

9. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    .. but it's kinda late. 10:00 - 10:45 at a place called Hotel Utah.

Let me know if you need help getting there.

If you'd like to go, of course...:oops:

10. Hey Big Wheel, we might be able to make that. Are you playing from 10:00-10:45, or is that the potential start time window? My hubby starts his workshop the next morning at 9:00, and we'll have about an hour drive back to the hotel, I think. I'll definitely need directions!

Lisa

11. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Hey, Lisa.

We're not the only band playing that night. there are two bands that are "opening" for us (we're that good.:D) . The actual thing starts at 8:30 or so and I'll probaby be there early too.

For directions, MapQuest.com is great. Just plug in your point of departure and your destination and it'll map it out for you.

Check your PM.

12. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Lisa: You're going to Healdsburg huh?! My new home city. I'm moving in a month to the bordering city to Healdsburg, Santa Rosa. You're going to love Healdsburg. Check out Felix and Louie's for dinner, it's in Healdsburg square, you can't miss it. For a great brewpub, check out Bear Republic. I like the Red Rocket Ale. Since you're going to Healdsburg, hop back onto 101-North for two more exits to Independence Lane. Take a right off the exit and go to Clos Du Bois' winery for excellent Merlot. One winery down is Trentadue. You would be doing yourself a huge disservice not to check out their Chocolate Port. Then one more down is Canyon Road which has the most amazing Riesling. Ah yes, to the right (west) of the freeway, you must go to Chateau Souverain. Amazing Cabernet, Chardonnay and Zinfandels.

Okay, enough wine and restaurant talk. :)

Will: You didn't tell me about your gig. Hotel Utah huh? We should all definitely get together.

Keep me informed of what's going on and I'll make sure I keep that night free.

13. Jazzbo....I'm really looking forward to it! I think we're going to be either right on, or really close to the square, so I'll definitely be checking out some of your recommendations. I'm really excited about going, but am dreading the plane trip. I have to pack a bunch of tools for the workshop, and I can just see the security checkpoint now! :eek:

How far is Healdsburg form San Francisco? I think it's about 50 miles, so I'm thinking somewhere like an hour away. We're flying in to SFO on Tuesday around 12:30, but I don't think we'll be stopping anywhere once we get the rental car, since I have to hit LMII for some additonal stuff for the workshop, and they close at 5:00 or something.

Looking forward to see ing Big Wheel on the 12th. Hope you can come down too...that would be way cool!

Lisa

14. I would come down on the 12th, but I just found out I have to work. :(

It's been awhile since I came down to SF, and even longer since i've seen a good gig.

15. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Eep.

I was going to shoot you a PM also. Sorry.:(

..You're still coming, right?:)

16. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    You're getting a rental in SF? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay, sorry. I'm better now.

But, anyway, what you do is get to 101 North, which you'll want to hop onto Van Ness and take that til it turns into Lombard, (you know, "the crookedest street in the world", but you won't be on that part of Lombard, so don't worry). Anyhoo, that'll turn into the Golden Gate Bridge, which is Hwy 101. It is about 60 miles or so, and will take about an hour once you're out of the city. You absolutely can't go wrong in Healdsburg. God I wish I could go with.

I'll be at the gig Will, even though someone didn't bother to tell me! :)

17. Aquinas

Aquinas

Mar 16, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Ah, Trent, Jazzbo you certainly know your ports, there isn't a finer chocolate port on the west coast.

18. Aquinas

Aquinas

Mar 16, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Oops, forgot to second the chateau souvrain reccomendation, the winery itself is worth the trip itself, simply magnificent. They make fine zinfandels, which is quite a compliment, I tend to shy away from Zinfandels, too sweet for me.

19. Yes...we're getting a rental in SF. Joe's going to have to drive to Sacremento on Wednesday and Thursday while I'm in my class. On the plus side....I won't have to drive! :D

Lisa

20. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Ah, AGE OF AQUARIUS, you certainly know your Dry Creek/Alexander Valley wines. And you're from Sydney too! Okay, well, Australia certainly has its fair share of exquisite wines. Have you been to Sonoma or do you just know the wines?

Dry Creek Vineyards has probably the best Zin I've ever had, and I usually don't like Zins. Their "Old Vines" is to die for. Sweet, but fruity and airy too. They had a killer year in 96, especially for their cabs, (I have a Chateau Souverain 96 Cab that I lied down to let mellow. I think it'll be ready this year!). If you can't get a Port in Portugal, then California doesn't do half bad, especially in Mendocino County, but Trentadue makes an amazing Chocolate Port. They changed the name of it recently from Chocolate Merlot Port to Chocolate Essence, or something like that, but it's AMAZING. You can find some other chocolate ports at BevMo but Trentadue is the way to go.