1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

gigs organised by idiots GRRR!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by cambell360, Apr 16, 2010.

1. we played a gig with my old old band
    i left them a goooood 7/8 months ago after it all fell apart.
    back then it was ok, the guitarist wasnt special, the drummer was pretty bad- but could keep in time and the lead singer was ace.

anyway me and the lead singer joined my current band talking to strangers and were going strong, then the guitarist and drummer form a new band, thinking me and the lead singer were in it :), for about 3 weeks we were pestered to go to a practice then i told them "look im not in your band". after that they said to people that they kicked us out because they didnt need us:eyebrow:, and got some entry level bassist (well guitarist adapting bass) to play and another guitarist to also sing.

so anyway a month ago they decided to "organise" a gig and invited talking to strangers to play. they asked if we could pay £25, to perform... that was to rent the place out then they gave it back saying its all sorted. then they asked for a tiny 100 watt (maybe less) ashdown bass combo and then they said for each person that goes to watchthe event, each band gets £1, fair enough and then he drops the bomb. i asked how many tickets have been sold and he says like 100+ so im like sweet so well have like £100? and he says no... i ask why and he tells me that they need to get £300 raised before bands are paid :| then i say so why have you not told me this? and he says we didnt need to know. thats the most agrivating part if something changes that effects a band, THEY NEED TO KNOW- am i right?.

so anyway its on the night and then the first two acts are pretty top notch, we come on and the crowd was absaloutly fantastic, and then they came on and it was terrible.They were out of time the singer was out of tune and they thought they were rock gods:rollno: they had a smaller crowd but by that time of the night everyone was allready intoxicated so they were just going drunkenly crazy...

so that ashdown bass they wanted wasnt loud enough so i let the borrow my rig; that was very loud :smug:
    then because they werent happy with the ashdown combo they rented from us (our guitarist got it from his friend) they asked for their money back and they said "that ashdown was poo, you didnt provide a loud and quality bass amp for us :eyebrow: erm what was my rig doing, turned on and hooked up to your bassist's crappy £50 p-bass copy and making horrid noises then? this was an argument over facebook, so all their 'friends' could see it and all of the people commenting were against the idiot and then they accepted (FINALLY) defeat.

it agrivates me to this day... anyway thanks for reading, anyone got any other stories of gigs organised by people with an IQ of 63
    THANKS FOR READING :)

2. sorry edited the links to smileys! haha feel rather silly now :/ haha

3. cbrophy

cbrophy

Nov 11, 2009
    Central MA.
    Ahhh....WOW

4. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    So, youre from Keighley, England? My gf's name is Keighley.

5. first or surname? lol and keighleys not much of a nice place anymore due to the vast amount of under educated generation... but there a good place for music rehearsal and guitar shop there :)

6. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Hey, watch it! My IQ is 63!

7. MatticusMania

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    First name. And its spelled exactly as the city.

There are plenty of girls names Kaylee, spelled in all sorts of fashions, but she is the only one either of us know who spell it Keighley.

8. ahh right well its pronounced different lol, its not Kay-lee its like keef-ley haha

9. Goteky45

Goteky45

Oct 30, 2009
    Portugal
    this happened 2 days before the gig:
    hey guys, its isnt an open mic show, its an acoustic show.

Morning before the show and after we practiced for over 8 hours to get a new set list:
    guys, sorry, they want a funk band :scowl:

that was the most incompetent band leader ever. i joined that band after their bass player got kicked and tnhis was going to be my first show. never played with them again. stole 2 of hteir following gigs wiht my band then :bassist:

10. incompetent """"musicisians"""" who try to organise things really irritates me

11. MatticusMania

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Yeah, she knows all about that!

I have a friend who is a competent musician. She's been in bands for a long time. But, when she sets up a show I stay far away, as she never has any of the important details squared away and things fall to pieces.

12. Fetusyolk

Fetusyolk

Aug 7, 2008
    i can not stand people like this- unreliable, unrealistic, irresponsible jerks

it would have been lul worthy if when they went on they found that the power cable to the amp was missing. they didn't 'need to know' they weren't using it anymore. you paid the fee to play expecting compensation, they paid the fee for the amp- fair is fair right? ;)

13. modulusman

modulusman Banned

Jan 18, 2004
    montana
    What is the IQ of people who are dumb enough to play a show like that?

14. well it was our first offered gig so we wanted it, by the way my band doesnt know the old band as well as me, i wasnt too keen on the idea but then its a band decision, plus we were on before them so it was a good time for a good shot to show them up- to show that we were good and they werent (i meant all of their songs are just 4 chords played over and over just at different rhythms, i mean ok for maybe one, possibly two but all of your set?)

and anyway we got a decent pay out of it since all of my bands friends lived in the area of the venue so there was a big turn out and we got about £170 out of it which is pretty spot on :)

15. Howlin' Hanson

Howlin' Hanson Lighter cabs, please.

Sep 3, 2007
    Austin TX

16. FEETUSSSYOOOOLKK!!!!

can i get in the vegetarian club?

17. The_Low_Dude

The_Low_Dude

Oct 16, 2009
    My band played a gig where the PA was done by some monkeys, yesterday. We already saw and heard things that were screwing up the sound before we had to go on, so we were already like "tell those guys to do this", "don't forget to check that", "I'll check the sound in the audience and correct those guys", ... And it all got worse during the soundcheck. It turned out they mic'd almost everything with a shure sm58: the vocals, 2 guitar amps, overheads on the drums, and my bass amp. When I said I have my own DI that I'd like to use, rather than having a sm58 in front of my amp, these guys suddenly think I don't want to be amplified... Our keyboardist starts backing me up, but they were pretty sure that a sm58 sounds better than a DI. They thought they didn't have phantom power ("that wasn't on your rider, so we didn't bring it", but off course they had that). Also messed up a lot of other ****, really frustrating.

Anyway, we're gonna ask for higher standards before accepting gigs now.

Sorry for the random rant.

18. LiF

LiF

May 11, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    LOL! :D:D From someone who spells aggravating "agrivating"! :rollno:

19. I am sorry, i didnt know it was illegal to occasionally spell words incorrectly. :meh::(

20. The OP was painful to read for reasons other than a mere misspelling, or an aggravating anecdote. There should never be quotations from more than one person in a paragraph, and said quotes need to be prefaced with commas & bracketed with quotation marks.

Under-education is usually not the fault of a school, but of a student, provided that the material is presented adequately, but not absorbed. The English language really is written as it is spoken, but one must understand the basic rules for doing so.

Jeez, I've become a Henry Higgins type, but the irony is that I'm a Yank telling a Brit how to write a bit closer to what used to be called, "the King's English," in the mother country.