Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gigs!!! We got gigs!!!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by txbasschik, Mar 6, 2006.

1. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    So excited!!! Counting subbing with other bands, and jams, I have played out maybe ten times since last July when the VChix broke up. So, I am VERY pleased to announce upcoming gigs, all at The Lago Music Hall. (At least, until The Lone Star Bar has an opening...they're booked up 'til the end of April.)

If you're in the area, come by and see us! Also, come early if you can and see my buddys, The Swamp Dogs, who will open at 7 p.m.

The Knowbodys will be playing The Lago Music Hall, 5509 Lohman's Ford, Lago Vista, TX 78645, on March 18, April 8, and April 22. We'll start at 10 p.m., and play until close, usually around 1:30 or 2 a.m. They sell beer and wine, soft drinks/water/coffee/juice, and you can BYOB. They've got bar food, like nachos and stuff. There is no cover. This is an outdoor venue, but don't worry about the chill night air, because there is always a nice fire in the big, stone fire ring.

We are also booked for The Lago Vista Music Festival, at the Lago Music Hall, on May 13.

SQUEEEEEE!!!

Cherie :hyper:

2. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    Congratulations on your sub gigging.

I really miss playing out, the energy from the crowd was the best.

3. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    Thanks! I've gotten to do a bit of subbing with The Swamp Dogs, but for my own Knowbodys to have a gig seemed to take an Act Of God. My drummer is my husband, and his other band has been so busy, he has not been available to play. When I saw empty spaces in their calendar, I was on it like white on rice.

Yeah, the crowd energy is *awesome*! Now that spring is here, there will be bigger crowds there, too. And it is so very hard for me to stay motivated and focused w/o gigs, so this is fuel for the fire.

Wheeee!!!

For why you don't play out anymore, cher? Just not enough time/people/places?

Cherie :)

4. Wish I could come, it sounds like a hell of a good 'ole time! I like playing outdoors, the few times I've done it.

What's the temperature like in your area that time of year?

No cover and BYOB?!! The place should be packed!!!

5. We played in Austin just about this time four years ago at Threadgill's, and I rmember how the temp was about mid-high 50's. Felt kinda warm to us Northeasterners (having just dug out of the previous Winter) but all the natives were freezing.

Got a great band pic at UT in front of the Texas Tower, too. The drummer took it, and now every time someone asks where the drummer is in the picture we say, "Look..Up there."

6. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    I wish you could come, too! Its really beautiful right now. We have 80sF in the daytime, and 50-60's at night. Its about 10 degrees warmer than normal this year, actually. The mountain laurels are blooming, and the air smells like grape koolaid ('cause that's what they smell like). So long as we continue to have decent weather, we'll be *packed* on the 18th. YAY!!!

7. Bass Massta

Bass Massta

Mar 9, 2006
    Philly
    I'm only 14 but I play out every few months. In May i'm playin' The Rocky Horror Picture Show vs. Hedwig and the Angry Inch. It's gonna be awesome. Indre studios May 12/13 7:00
    I'm also tryin to form a band so just aim me if you are too.

8. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    Aw honey, you gotta post that pic! The UT Tower is always a place to make a good picture. Was it lit orange that night? They light it up orange when the Longhorns win at something.

9. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    You know what's odd? Last night, I posted this whole big response to you, and now, it ain't here. Odd, odd, odd.

14? Oh honey, you get out and get 'em! That sounds like a really fun show to play. Yes, it *is* gonna be awesome!

My band is going to break up in July. Our lead singer/main writer has to move to California. His folks are very elderly and frail, and blind and deaf to where they can't drive. He can live there and take care of them, and go to college and finish his degree. We'll still be writing long-distance, though. Poor dude, though. He'll be 50 miles east of LA, no where near a music scene *or* a beach. He wants to keep writing and recording so we can play when he comes back to Texas in-between semesters.

Got invited to be in a prog-blues, Trower-esque power trio the other night, though. I'm gonna go for it. :)

10. FriscoBassAce

FriscoBassAce

Dec 29, 2004
    Frisco, Texas
    Independent Manufacturers Representative
    Congrats on the gigs! I know what that feels like because we just recently completed our lineup and now have several gigs on the calendar for the coming month, and as soon as I get over this stupid cold I have, I'm going to go book us even more!

I'd love to come hear you play...if I'm ever down your way, I'll come check your band out!

11. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    Thanks hon! The one this week will be tough. We are up against two very popular bands playing nearby venues in the same time slot, and one of those is a cd release party. We don't expect much of an audience, and if there's no one there by midnight, we're prolly gonna pack it in early, tell Gary not to worry about pay, and go to the cd release. (A buddy of ours' band.) It doesn't pay Gary to keep the place open if there is no one there buying beer-n-bratz. He11, he'll prolly come to the party with us. :)

Even if we stop early, its still a two-hour show. He can't pay much this time of year, so we'll prolly just tell him to keep his money for a warmer night with more people. ;-)
    I've made as much as $100 there, and as little as $4. The warmer the weather, the bigger the crowd.

So...I'm gonna really promote the April gigs. Then we'll get some pay and have people to play to. The Lone Star wants us, too, so I'm going to the jam there tonight and get Larry to give me a date.

New lineup? Oh yeah, you must be chomping at the bit to play! Takes time to get everyone tight and ready to go out. Where are y'all playing? How fun, to be going out all fresh like that. :)

Yes, come down any time! Ditto for you, too. If we make it to Big D this summer, I wanna come hear you!

12. thekyle

thekyle

Dec 25, 2005
    Breckenridge, CO
    Woohoo for the basschick! I've played in Austin and Houston before and it is always fun. Actually, we are playing Austin again next month on our mini-tour of the Lone Star State. All kinds of music is HUGE down there (unlike in Lubbock, where it was us vs. the Texas Country crowd).

13. FriscoBassAce

FriscoBassAce

Dec 29, 2004
    Frisco, Texas
    Independent Manufacturers Representative
    It's always fun to play out, and even more fun when you get paid to do it! Good luck with your upcoming gig...hopefully the convention will be in town and there will be lots of people at your gig!

As for us, yeah....we're pretty excited. This has been 6 months in the making. Lots of American Idol-ish auditions from people who have no business singing. We finally found our guy and he has been quickly ramping up.

We've got 4 gigs on the books right now, and if I hadn't been sick all this past week, we would probably have more. We're playing in a Battle of the Bands on May 24th at The Hungry Musician (a nightclub for working musicians in Arlington), April 7th at a place called Bleachers in Garland, April 8th at Lone Star Country Club in Coppell, and June 9th at The Thunderhorse Saloon. We're hoping to fill up our calendars and have 4-8 gigs per month on the weekends.

I can't wait to get back on stage....it's such a rush!

14. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    Where and when are you going to be in town? If I'm not booked, I'd like to come see you play! Our April dates are 4/8 and 4/22, at this point.

I love that quality around Austin and Houston, how people are so open-minded about music. You can write or cover just about anything you like, and if you play with soul and do well, people will love it! Punks will come to country shows, headbangers will go listen to an acoustic set...people come out for the music, not just to hang out or watch sports on a communal tv.

The hard-core country crowd is a harrrrrd nut to crack. They're very...um...stubborn. Do you have a hard time getting venues in Lubbock? They're sooo country up there. I love Texas alt-country, but so much of that has moved to Austin, now.

My husband's band had a bunch of country folks at their first gig at the Lone Star. They kept hollering "Play country! We want old-time country!" at this hard Southern rock band. (Made me want to say, "Then go to a f'ing country bar!", but I shut my mouth.)

When I went around with the tip jar, one of the women came up to me and told me that unless they played some "real country", there would be no tips and lots of yelling from their table. "Suit yourself, tip only if you want to," says I, with a cheerful smile.

By the middle of the 2nd set, she was dancing, and putting bucks in the tip jar, and there weren't no country bein' played. ;-)

15. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    We won't get any business from SXSW. Our venue is in Travis County, but its in the far northwest corner, and people have to pass through part of Williamson County, and the infamous gauntlet of Williamson Country constables and Cedar Park PD to get to it. They sit there, waiting for people going back and forth to the bars.

Since its risky to do SXSW for us out here, the North Shore bands try to book a gig or two close to home and serve our local fan bases during the festival. Those folks take a risk going into the city this week, too, so we all try to give them something to see near home, so they can enjoy plenty of music, too. :) I'm hoping that people will come by and see us, then go see Zak or George. I don't mind if they come early and leave early, so long as they come! :)

That being said, if I were to ever get a conference showcase, I'd be there in a second! ;-)

Why do people who can't sing go out and try? Do their families and friends just lie to them all of their lives? "Yes, darling, that's wonderful!", as Little Singer makes the dead spin in their coffins with the screetching? Oi! I'm glad y'all found someone good! Sounds like is top-notch and ready to go. :)

I've heard of The Hungry Musician! I would really love to check that place out one day. Especially when y'all are booked there!

I expect to hear all about those gigs, sugar.

16. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    Sorry I'm so late with your reply.. :bag:

The music scene around my area is bunk. In order to play out any decent show would require a bunch of driving....and I just don't have the willpower, or time for that anymore. Besides, trying to find musicians around here that are either serious enough, or have the same goals as I do is almost an impossibility. I haven't given up completely, I just quit looking. If something worth while were to rear it's ugly head, I'd be all over it. Until that day, I'll stick to what I do.

I still have friends that I jam with every now and again. It's enough to keep me going.....but I do miss a good crowd.

17. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    Oh dear. I hope something will come along for you...something *good*! There's nothing like crowd energy to keep you motivated and stoked.

You know, sometimes, it is when you quit looking, that you find what you are looking for. I hope this is the case for you!

I think I must be lucky. In Central Texas, you can always find someone who wants to play. I get offered more good projects than I have time for, and I'm not even in Austin, proper. People say that even the dirt in Texas is musical...they may be right. :)

That reminds me...! The guitarist in the band I sub for has offered me a spot in a power trio he's forming. Trower-esque-ish. I may just take him up on it.

18. Ruin Bass

Ruin Bass

Mar 19, 2006
    DFW Area
    Thats pretty cool stuff, I just joined a band recently maybe 2-2 1/2 months ago, and we started playing shows in Deep Ellum, Dallas. My first performance was at Tom Cats. Indeed,everyone says that playing a show is a rush but you dont know the feeling until your up on that stage, its quite amazing. I am with a local band here in the DFW area called Ruin. We have a demo coming out soon, recording next week and have many other events coming soon in April.

Well, excellent job on the getting those gigs, fun times for us in Texas, rock out and enjoy yourself.

19. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    Thanks!

Deep Ellum...That's awesome! I've only been there a few times, but I have been by Tom Cats. Been to a few places in Greenville, which was cool, too.

Did you add The Knowbodys, in MySpace? I'd like to be able to keep up with your schedule, so I can see you if you get down my way, or we get up there.

20. Pruitt

Pruitt

Jun 30, 2005
    Danbury, CT
    I'll concur with this. The live music scene in CT is horrible. It wasn't always this way, I remember a time 20-30 years ago where it was unbelievably hot. But it died in the late 80's-early 90's and has yet to recover. I guess that's why I'm more into writing and recording now than trying keep a band going and playing live. Which is fine with me I guess, as that's a lot of fun also. ;)

Have Fun!! :bassist: