Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gigs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by KumoriNeko, Jul 6, 2001.

1. KumoriNeko

KumoriNeko Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
    I'm curious. What would you classify as a small, medium or large gig? And what wattage would you use for each situation?
    Thanks in advance.

2. If price doesn't matter, go for the most wattage you can, because you can always turn down, but if you run out of power... you know what happens. Plus, you'll have a lot of headroom for cleaner sound.

3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Very important: with or without PA support?

4. KumoriNeko

KumoriNeko Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
    Money is sorta a problem. I'm willing to go up to about $800, maybe alittle more. And I prob. won't be using a PA, I want something that's that can be used in every situtaion, large or small (PA or no). And I'd prefer a combo over head and cab. I really like the Nemisis NC210P becuase of the portability, an expansion cab output, and I think they're 225 watts (or 250 maybe?), is this enough? Ohh, and my guitarist will prob be using a Fender 130 watt amp.

5. i've stepped into the world of "ATLEAST 300 WATTS TO GIG" ....plus, 225w vs 130w? that's too little headroom for my liking.

6. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I've seen the rule of thumb 'At least 4 times what the guitar player has' bandied about here... Sometimes you need more like 10 times!! :D

Seriously, the power requirements to amplify the frequencies put out by your bass are such that for gigs, I'm with Mr. Stoopid in the 'At least 300W' realm. Paste also makes a good point in that you can always turn down, but turning up can be a strecth if you ain't got the power in the first place.

Your $800 places you squarely in Carvin's RC210 combo, (I have one and it's easily powerful enough for all but the largest gigs...). With 600W, you'll be able to see eye to eye with your guitar player's 130W

My two cents...
    -robert

7. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    I also recommend the Carvin RC210. You could also try buying just the R600 head and getting a used cab to go with it.