Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GigSpam: Mike Savino tonight

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Ed Fuqua, Dec 13, 2004.

1. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Just got this from Sanni Orasmaa, one of the greatest singers I've had the pleasure to hear or play with:

In case you're in town and not totally overwhelmed with the Holiday cheer, we will be playing an evening of original music and some arrangements of jazz and beyond tunes tonight at Caprice Cafe with Sebastian Noelle (g) and Mike Savino (b). Free Admission. 9:30PM, two shorter sets.

Caprice Cafe
    199 Columbus Ave, Bet 68th & 69th St
    (few blocks up from the Lincoln Center)

Fall by if you can.

2. Savino

Savino

Jun 2, 2004
    nyc
    Thanks Ed
    Sanni is a very dear friend and brilliant musician. Please stop by.
    I also have a Thursday night hang every week with my band, The Zoo, @ Louis 649 in the east village (ave c & 9th st) 9:30 to 12. This is my attempt to fuse modern jazz with indian, brazilian, mid east, african and balkan concepts. There's also a killing jam session before @ 7pm. stop by and say hi. it would be nice to put faces to avatars

3. Please say Hi to Sanni for me.

R2

4. Savino

Savino

Jun 2, 2004
    nyc
    Hey Arto Alho

Is that your full name? Should'nt it have more vowels in there? ;)
    It was a really fun gig anyhoo.

5. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    I think it's just his initials. Sorry I missed the gig, I was clubdating...

6. Savino

Savino

Jun 2, 2004
    nyc
    Nothing like a good ballad medley. Oh and when did Christmas songs become politically incorrect?

7. Quote: ( originally posted by His Vomitiousness ):
    "I think it´s just his initials."

Yeah, and my Real Name is R2D2.

8. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Thank you.

9. So what happened to Hawkeye's and Ed's posts? I was about to reply and suddenly there they weren't. Is Christmas/ political correctness/ incorrectness now a taboo subject here? Or just too obtuse in the context of this thread?

10. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    I can only assume that somebody moderatorily decided it had ABSOLUTLEY NOTHING to do with the thread, was mean spirited and best dealt with in more private confines.

Hence my "Thank You" post.

Perhaps we could celebrate the Good Thought and Cheer engendered by such a thoughtful gesture every year in some fashion?

11. Savino

Savino

Jun 2, 2004
    nyc
    Sorry guys,
    didn't mean to start THAT
    Just did some Christmas? Holiday? parties where we couldnt play xmas songs. just thought it was strange.

12. Ah, politics....I feel for you, guys. Sounds like being geographically challenged is slowly turning into a relief...
    R2

13. Well, the big band I play with will be doing a Christmas dance this Sunday, in a '20's era dance hall with a long tradition of Christmas dances. It will certainly be adorned with Christmas decorations, and certain of the staff will likely once again be dressed like Santa and his elves.

On the playlist will be some Christmas music. We have some smokin' charts of songs like 'Santa Claus is Comin' to Town' and 'Let it Snow, Let it Snow, Let it Snow', and some really beautiful arrangements of songs like 'Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas', and 'The Christmas Song' (Chestnuts roasting...). Fun music to play. People (including me) love this stuff. It really does help instill cheer and good will, and brings back happy memories of family and Christmas past, (and Bing and Nat and Dean and...). Myself, I'm glad we carry on the tradition. Hawkeye, I'm with ya. It galls me that the Holiday Gestapo would prevent such celebrations in the interest of political correctness.

Merry Christmas, or Hannukah, or whatever, to all. Celebrate the holiday as you wish, but don't tell me I can't do the same.
    (Ed, are you genuinely this humbug, or am I misreading?)

14. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    Although thread hijacking is quite common, I think it's frequently felt as offending by the thread initiator, who cannot always yields to lateral thinking and sometimes cannot refrain from reacting abruptly. I guess it's a matter of how developed the thread is, if the topic is far reaching and amenable to intense discussions, or like in the present case, a friendly gigspam which calls more for a few jokes and encouragements than sarcastic flames about the political correctness of celebrating (or not) whatever motif for celebration. Proper netiquette suggests that potential hijackers should figure out if starting a new thread would not be more correct.

Personally I felt also some annoyance by the posts on rock-a-billy chicks in the Great Female Bassists thread (which used to be call top-10 female bassists before I suggested the actual title) but chose to react with as much hypocrite phlegm as I could (I'm in Paris, phlegm is not our usual cuppa tee) to what I thought could be seen like an offence to the greatness in question. Sure those rock-a-billy gals are "great" and may deserve a word and a pic in some forum but they just don't qualify as Great Female Bassists.

Anyhow, back to the gigspam: Ed has often shown a certain ability to take charge of the threads he initiates... he's no hypocrite and tells it when he feels the sores. I like him that way.