Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GIGSPAM - New ALL AGES Jazz Club in Indianapolis

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by courderoy guy, Jun 28, 2004.

1. Hey all - hope i'm not causing trouble by posting here.

A new jazz-rock club is opening in Indianapolis as of Thursday, July 1st. It's called Bubba's and is being owned by Cathy Morris, a jazz violinist. Here's the cool deal...

IT's all ages!!!!

A chance for even those under 21 to enjoy creative music in a non-threatening or stuffy environment.

There's pool, bowling, food, beverages, and even beer and wine for those over 21.

Non smoking venue

located at
    325 S. College Street

The reason i'm posting this is because i'm a member of Motosota, the band that's opening the grand opening event of the venue. There's supposed to be local newspapers and stuff there, so i'm pretty psyched and thought maybe there might be someone reading this from Indy who'd be interested in knowing about the club. We've been around less than a year, but things are just now starting to take off.

I play flute and keyboard in Motosota, but I'm generally a bass player (woulda played bass in Motosota but there already was one).

Again, sorry if this isn't appropriate, but I'm just really excited and wanted to vent.

2. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    wow, you're kiddin' right? i didn't think that playing jazz was even possible without a curtain of cigar smoke past midnight at a temperature of approximately 90 degrees farenheit...oh yeah, there can be no more 9 people in the venue, and they cannot be sober :D i'm just pulling your leg...welcome aboard, man! making jazz available to everyone is really cool...just so long as it stays the jazz, the whole jazz and nothing but the jazz...i can see the kids yelling for requests right now :rolleyes: you know what i mean...

:bag:

3. BertBert

BertBert

Nov 9, 2002
    Indianapolis
    Hey courderoy guy,

I'm in the Indianapolis area and Cathy Morris played at the college I work at back in the spring and announced the opening of the place you mentioned. (Her band, particularly her bass player, was KILLER, by the way.) Do you know what kinds of bands they are looking for? You mentioned "jazz/rock" to describe the club; do you have a sense of how big of a range of styles she's interested in having come and play?

If I remember right, the location of this place in in the Fountain Square area -- it's really nice to see that part of town start taking off again. We used to play at the Sonshine Inn right there on the square and it was a shame how run down that area had gotten.

4. The club is called Bubba's and it's actually more east of downtown Indy (at the south end of college). You can get the actual address of of Indianapolismusic.net (if you're so inclined). I'm pretty sure that Cathy is open to just about any kind of music outside of hair metal, and the place is pretty casual. We had a good time opening the place up (not much in the way of crowds, though). Send her a press packet and I'm sure she'd give it a listen. We had an acoustic guitar player open for us, and that was well received. If the band is the same as the one listed at the bottom of your signature, I'd say give it a shot!

5. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    One more reason to get down to 'Nap. Is Rick Knox still there?

6. Sorry, I don't know a Rick Knox.

7. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Nap's a big city; was just hopin' he did something good, boy was awesome. When we get a free weekend, we might trip down there and hole up in a hotel. That'll be good time to checkout the club.

8. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Man I miss the Indy scene. Now I'm stuck out here in Hel...yea, Tucson :help: The music scene out here just sucks. Does Andy Berry still run a jazz night at the Emerson? I think it was on Wednesdays?