1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gigspam: "The Double Bass" in LA

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by LouisF, Apr 16, 2010.

1. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'm doing my one man show, the Suskind play "The Double Bass" in LA May 13-16. The press release is below and flier and photo are attached.
    I hope you all can make it.

Thanks

Louis

For Immediate Release
    Goethe Institut- LA
    1-323-525-3386
    prog@losangeles.goethe.org

GOETHE INSTITUT-LA TO PRESENT LOUIS FANTASIA IN “THE DOUBLE BASS” AS PART OF LA OPERA’S “RING CYCLE” EVENTS

The Goethe Institut-Los Angeles will present Louis Fantasia in Patrick Suskind’s one-man play about music and obsession, The Double Bass. May 13, 14 and 15, 2010 at 7:30 PM, and a Sunday matinee May 16 at 3:00 PM, at the Goethe Institut auditorium in the mid-Wilshire District.

Fantasia, a Los Angeles writer, director and former theatre critic for NPR’s KCRW-FM, has performed the play since 1988, touring major US cities, performing it as part of the Eclectic Orange Festival at the Orange Country Performing Arts Center, and performing in London and Tokyo. The Los Angeles Times described his original performances as “the memorable edge of a true character...”, while the Los Angeles Weekly hailed it as “hilarious and touching...” and the Boston Globe called him a “virtuoso monologist...remarkable.” “This show is not
    to be missed...” The Boston Herald.

Louis Fantasia is one of the few performers around the world doing the piece who actually plays the double bass, having started his studies on the bulky instrument at the age of thirteen. He later went on to study with Leslie Martin of the Boston Symphony Orchestra. The instrument Louis Fantasia uses in his performances was built especially for him by the Upton Bass String Instrument Company in Stonington, Ct. ()

Fantasia currently plays (as an amateur) with both the Los Angeles Doctors Symphony and the Los Angeles Lawyers Philharmonic. “I can sue myself for musical malpractice,” he quips.

Patrick Suskind is best know as the author of the novel of Perfume, which was made into a film several years ago, and The Pigeon, a novella. His work deals with obsessions, such as the hunt for the perfect scent. But in The Double Bass, the un-named bass player’s obsession with his instrument and with the young soprano he adores, but who does notice him, is liberally dosed with comic overtones.

The Goethe-Institut chose to present the play this spring in connection with a series of events related to the Los Angeles Opera’s “Ring Cycle”. The action of the play takes place in the bassist’s small but sound-proofed apartment just before the opening performance of a production of Das Rheingold. There is no love lost between Fantasia’s anarchic bassist and Wagner’s complex “gesamtmusik”!

The Double Bass is directed by Leupold, a long-time collaborator with Fantasia on various LA theatre projects. Light and set design are by Adam Blumenthal. The original sound design is by Leonore Schildkraut. Photo credits: John Gary Brown

Tickets for the four May performances are $10.00 and maybe obtained by calling 323-525-3388. Seating is limited. The Goethe Institut is located at 5750 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 100, Los Angeles, CA 90036. For tickets and information call 323-525-3388 or email info@losangeles.goethe.org
    #####

Attached Files:

2. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Bump for the LA crowd!!

Louis

Attached Files:

3. T Kerr

T Kerr Commercial User

May 24, 2007
    Pasadena, California
    Bass Luthier Bass Shop Owner
    Hi Louis, just noticed your post here about the play. Thanks for the invite, the kids enjoyed it immensely. What a workout, impressive performance for sure. Tom

4. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks, Tom. It soon becomes Berlin gigspam, because I've been asked to do the play at the Berlin bass conference in October. Details later.

Louis

5. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA