Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gil Scott Heron

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Matt Till, Mar 3, 2006.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I was introduced to Gil's music via the "Smart Funk" thread a while back. I've been listenin' to Mr. Heron's music for a while now and I've decided...

GIL SCOTT HERON IS THE BEST THING TO HAPPEN TO SOUL/FUNK EVER.

That is all.

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Amen.

Robbie Gordon is a great bassist too.

3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile

I'm more for Curtis Mayfield... but heck yeah, Gil's stuff is great.

4. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    That's the thing about Gil, I'd never heard of him until that thread. I consider myself fairly versed in funk music (much respect for Curtis), well versed at least for a white boy from Northwestern Pennsylvania, and I'd never heard of him.

When I first checked out the studio/live album "It's your world," it honestly hit me like a ton of bricks. Smooooooooth voice, great lyrics, and an even better band! I just hope that this thread introduces a few more people to his music.

5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    cool deal, I first heard him a few years back with a track called "Grandma's Hands" it made me track down most the rest of his catalog!

6. I made a thread about him ages ago. It completely sunk without a trace.

7. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Been a fan since 197.., well, nevermind. Anyway, "B Movie", "The Bottle", and "Angeldust" had some of the smoothest basslines.

8. bassksun

bassksun Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Las Vegas,NV
    Gil Scott-Heron and The Last Poets=The *Original* Rappers.

Try We Almost Lost Detroit by GSH

Peace

9. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    The earlier albums are best (those he recorded with Brian Jackson). Some great musicians on those discs - Ron Carter, Hubert Laws etc.

For a guy who often sang about the dangers of drugs (e.g. 'Home is where the Hatred Is'), it's such a shame that Gil's wasted much of the last twenty years to drugs/jail.

Check out the DVD 'Black Wax' if you can. Lots of prime-period Gil talking about politics, performing poetry, and concert footage with his late '70s/early '80s band (I think the band was called Insomnia Express?). Bassplayer is Robbie Gordon - takes a nice fretless solo on 'Is That Jazz?'

10. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I also liked what Stick (flute) brought to the mix. He was amazing.

11. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Check out "Is that Jazz":)

12. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    What an appropriate title ;) His tunes really are a perfect blend of funk/jazz without doing a half assed version of either genre.

13. PhR

PhR

Dec 13, 2005
    Finland
    It was Amnesia Express.

My favourite album is "Moving Target". I hope they will release his late seventies Arista albums (eg. "Bridges" and "Secrets") on cd someday.

14. slackdaddy

slackdaddy

Mar 1, 2004
    Athens, GA
    Endorsing Artist: David Eden Amplifiers / Rob Wave Custom basses
    Last thing I heard about GSH was that he had some probation problems and was about to go back to jail. Anyone know if he is currently doing time or not right now?

15. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    There was documentary on Gil on BBC television about 18 months ago. At the time of filming, he appeared pretty clean and had got back together with Brian Jackson (who left music years ago and has been very successful in IT) for some gigs.

As the credits rolled, the documentary stated that since filming, Gil had been arrested for possession of crack cocaine and was in custody. Haven't managed to find out where he is right now.

16. He was pretty awesome. The bassline to 'The Revolution Will Not Be Televised' is one of THE bass grooves of all time. I dig 'Needle's Eye' too, the flute solo in that is obscenely awesome.

17. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Everyone should have these in their collection:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Whenever 'The Bottle' gets played in a club, nothing can keep me off the dancefloor! :cool:

18. Pieces of a Man is probably my favourite.

I bought the 'Ghetto Style' compilation when I was about 15, and got into him through that.

19. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
  20. tlvernon

tlvernon

Jan 26, 2011
    Columbus OH
    Just read an obituary in rolling stone. Dug out some amnesia express and esd reminded how gteat robbie gordon was. RIP GSH