Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gimme Head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassJ725, Jul 12, 2004.

1. bassJ725

bassJ725

Jul 7, 2004
    Ok I am in love with the Ampeg SVT-810E and the Ampeg SVT-15E. I am going to get the 8 x 10 first and then eventually the 1 x 15. I think this would be a righteous rig but what head should I use with this I was thinking like an all tube head that is light (carrying a svt 810E and maybe a svt 15E is gonna be killer) but which ones would you guys recomend? :confused: :help:

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Although everything is relative...there is no such thing as a "light" all tube head.

Tube amps have two heavy transformers in them...one for the power supply and one to couple the output tubes to your speaker/speakers. Solid state amps (ones with transistors as power devices) only need one.

I'm sure others know more about this than I do, but the lightest high power tube amp that I've heard of is the one that Eden sells.

3. The Traynor YBA200 weighs 44 lbs methinks and is 200W all-tube

4. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    IMO, a 115 wouldn't add enough to the 810 to make it worth the extra trip up the stairs.

5. An all tube svt head is the best match for an svt 810 period.

6. Happy MurphDay

Happy MurphDay

Mar 9, 2004
    around
    I agree with Chasarms, try this, an ampeg 18 enclosure that would match and make a bigger difference
    http://ampeg.com/products.htm?product=87&catid=11

7. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    No need for a 15 with 8 speakers, you're already moving tons of air.

8. kyo

kyo

Jul 6, 2004
    if you get an 810 its all that you need....its way more than you need just by itself...

9. bassJ725

bassJ725

Jul 7, 2004
    Thanx guys i could get a 18in but i still need head suggestions.

10. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    Mesa 400+?

11. Happy MurphDay

Happy MurphDay

Mar 9, 2004
    around
    Have you thought of going pre/power? and how much do you plan on spending?

12. Definately agreed.

13. Yeah, save the money from the 15" or 18" and use it one the head.

14. bogart

bogart

Dec 11, 2003
    big bear, ca
    Thats the damn truth. SVT *x10 is definitely enough. For all occasions

15. bassJ725

bassJ725

Jul 7, 2004
    Well yeah i was thinkin about going with a pre amp/power amp combo and i willing to spend 2000 on heads if i must but would rather not.

16. Sansamp RBI is $299 new. QSC PLX is $699 new. Then get a rack SKB 4-space rack for $80 bucks and use the rest for cabs and you will be COOKIN!

17. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    *phew*..... an 8X10 cab, and you still want more? I dont see the exact reason for it, but hats off to you, brother! Go ahead and get the 18" and see if you can vibrate the liquor bottles off the bar.... not that the 8X10 doesnt have that kind of potential already :p .

As far as suggestions go, you can do some pretty interesting things if you have a cab on the side. You could pick up a 4 Pro. 1200Watts going through the 8X10... but then you'd want a separate power amp for the 18".... which essentially poses the main problem with getting a solid-state head in this situation.... unless you dont mind building up a rack.

Best idea.... land yourself an SVT-2Pro or an SVT-CL. Personally, I'd go with the 2Pro if I had that kind of money (despite the horror stories).... but it's all in what you're looking for. They're both heavy as hell..... and LOUD as hell. And they'll allow you to use an additional cab, should you decide to go that route.

18. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    *phew*..... an 8X10 cab, and you still want more? I dont see the exact reason for it, but hats off to you, brother! Go ahead and get the 18" and see if you can vibrate the liquor bottles off the bar.... not that the 8X10 doesnt have that kind of potential already :p .

As far as suggestions go, you can do some pretty interesting things if you have a cab on the side. You could pick up a 4 Pro. 1200Watts going through the 8X10... but then you'd want a separate power amp for the 18".... which essentially poses the main problem with getting a solid-state head in this situation.... unless you dont mind building up a rack.

Best idea.... land yourself an SVT-2Pro or an SVT-CL. Personally, I'd go with the 2Pro if I had that kind of money (despite the horror stories).... but it's all in what you're looking for. They're both heavy as hell..... and LOUD as hell. And they'll allow you to use an additional cab, should you decide to go that route.

19. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Correct me if I'm wrong here.... but wouldnt you be running into an impedance problem if you combined the 810E with the 15E?

Someone who knows more should look into that...

20. nsh50a

nsh50a

May 11, 2004
    Columbia, MO
    I gotta tell you guys, I'm sold on the sound of ampeg 8x10's or 6x10's. I was set on getting either an SVT-II, an SVT- classic, or a mesa Bass 400+. I was finally able to a-b them together through a new 8x10 six months ago and lets just say I bought the mesa. If your dead set on ampegs, I did prefer the SVT-II to the SVT-CL though (surprissing b/c I thought it was going to be the other way around going into it).