Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

gimme reasons to get a ric

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by brake, Sep 15, 2004.

1. brake

brake

Jun 23, 2003
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    I'm deciding on my grad present (which I'd be getting in almost a year, I graduate in 5 months but the gift wouldnt come for a while).

I cant think of reasons NOT to..

2. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Then why do you need more reasons from us?

3. brake

brake

Jun 23, 2003
    Nova Scotia, Canada

4. dude, just get a ric! tey're awesome. Geddy Lee used one, need I say more?

5. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    They look cool

They sound OK, or great once you put Bart Ric replacement P/Us in em

They play great

but

They cost too much, unless you get a beat up used one

They don't balance very well. DIVE! DIVE! DIVE!

Not enough frets

Had one, sold it, miss it.

I kept the Barts though, they were too good to let go, but they won't fit in anything else. Year and a half later, I found a stripped Ric clone for $30 to put mu P/Us in... now I just need hardware

6. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I love the single coilness (minus the hum)

I got mine new for 1100

Mine also has perfect balance

I agree, 20 frets is far too few.

7. I think more chicks talk to me after gigs in which I play my Ric.

No kidding.

8. wwittman

wwittman

Apr 21, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    I disagree about changing the pickups...

With Rickenbackers more than any other instruments, after a while (or in some cases right away) you tend to fall in love with them.
    And they're simply not LIKE other instruments.. that's part of WHY we love them.

Attempts to make them into something else are like trying to reinvent classics.
    Know how bars and restaurants are constantly trying to make the next great variant of a martini? chocolate maritni or the apple martini or the kumquat/fiberglass/propane martini or whatever... and people order them....
    and then a year later, they're no longer on the menu, but the classic martini still is.

Rickenbackers are first off beautiful; nothing LOOKS like them either.

Second, the good ones sound great (like Fenders: there are MANY that sound awful yet people don't tend to lump those in when discussing Fender).
    You want the vintage/toaster neck pickup and probably the horseshoe bridge pickup (then you won't want to change pick-ups... i'm NOT a big fan of the newer high-gain bridge pickup)
    This means a 4001CS, 4001v63 or new C series (based on McCartney's bass)

Lastly, they play great.
    There's something about that neck that feels comfortable and yhet solid and seems to inspire confidence.
    It MAKES you play it like a Rickenbacker, in some intangible way.

It's not my ONLY bass guitar or even my main bass guitar... but i use it in every show and usually somewhere on every record.
    It has a unique voice and feel. As every good musician should!

Buy one and I can almost guarantee you'll never want to give it up.

ps MY idea of the great Rickenbacker sound is McCartney... I keep mine with nylon tape wound flats on it.
    And every time i pick it up it makes me smile.

9. The Hammer

The Hammer

Jul 13, 2004
    Amy plays one

10. 4string4ever

4string4ever Guest

Apr 18, 2004
    Orlando, Florida
    The best reason of all.....CAUSE IT'S A RIC!!!! :cool:

11. Hey brake! You're from NS too? I dont remember you being from NS. Cool. Where do you live?

12. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    I actually agree about the vintage pickups, I've never tried one with them myself but the Rics I've heard and liked had them. If I had had them in my Ric I wouldn't have replaced them, but mine was a '79 and sounded pretty flat. Also had a friend with a new 4003 that sounded less than impressive. While I'd like the vintage style pickups, I find the dot inlays and lack of binding to be ugly. I'd love a factory 4003 with vintage pickups. I think used they can be a good deal if you are careful, but for the new prices I'd have something built.

13. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    For you it's free.

14. The Hammer

The Hammer

Jul 13, 2004
    I just bought a brand new vintage 1963 reissue in mapleglow with a silver Ric case for $900 plus tax. It is exactly like the Chris Squire model except it doesn't have a vermillion fretboard and its not cream colored. But it also wasn't $2300 if you can find one. Go and get one Brake!!

15. Well...i have 2 Rics and one thats being built for me...so i dont really think you need me to boost them ;)

Expensive? I hardly think so..especially if you live in the States...they are quite easily found for just under 1000$ (Usually about 985$ to 995$) Which i think is an awsome price for a handbuilt bass. And if you can have something built for you for $995...please tell me who your luthier is. :)

As for the sound..i love them...nothing sounds like them...they have their own thing going on.

Ric has amazing quality control and consistancy...go to the Ric forums and ask how many of them are able to play them from the box (Side from a bit of tuning) Its unfortunate some people here stated they have had a bad experience with them...it really doesnt happen often.

As for balance....personally i never had an unbalanced Ric or played one. The necks arent that long or heavy...so it dont make sense to me :confused:

16. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    Yeah don't listen to any opinion buffs. These guys piss me off when they slander someone else's bass brand. Fact is there's always going to be a very small percentage of excellent bass models that have a flaw. Or the person dissing has a pre-conceived notion of what a bass in general should sound/feel like due to what they've been playing or have been used to.

17. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    I hadn't heard of anyone having a bad experience with them, or slandering them here. Myself, I was expressing my opinion, which was generally positive. I didn't like the sound of the non-reissue pickups, changed them with great results. If the bass had been junk it would still have sounded bad, and wouldn't miss having one. It was my 2nd bass, a big improvement over my 1st. At the time I thought it balanced fine, but my playing was simple and I wore it low. My style has changed, and I need a bass that will rest at a certain angle, quite a bit higher than I used to play, and the Ric doesn't do it. I have had Alembics that didn't. An explorer or Steinberger style does. I remember a long time ago seeing a brochure for Steinberger. It discussed angle and balance, illustrating the advances the design represented when compared to an old style, neck heavy bass. The diagram showing the difference compared a Steinberger to ... guess... a Ric.

I do still like them. They're not perfect, and the design could stand to be updated, though not at the cost of discontinuing the old models. And there are luthiers who can build a bass for under $1000, but my thought was more that for $1000 a bass should have more of the features I want. FBBs start at $1450, I would put the money towards getting exactly what I wanted. The original post mentioned not being able to think of reasons not to buy one. I could. For a production bass, they're quite good, I'd certainly rather have a Ric than a Fender or Music Man.

18. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI

19. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    I love my Rick and plan on getting another. :D

Mapleglo or Montezuma Brown is the question though.

20. elgranluis

elgranluis

Feb 14, 2003
    El paso, TX
    buy it so you hate it. I can buy it from you for half of what you paid, then I would be very, very happy.

For me, that's #1 reason.