Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gimme some gritty snarl

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Nickthebassist, Apr 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I need some good grind out of my sansamp. I've been trying to get that old school tube sound out of it, but have failed miserably(i just get fuzz). It musn't be TOO agressive. I'm using my Spector. I normally have the blend on full, treble flat, slight bass boost, and the drive flat(otherwise i get this fuzz). The presence is normally at 2oclock. I'm using this as a pre amp, btw.

2. Back off the Drive and Presence to 9 o'clock or less and back off the Blend to 12 o'clock or less.

I was under the impression that this problem had been solved ( at least once :) ) and that you had narrowed it down to your Spector's EQ?

3. The clipping problem has been solved. I'm just after a different tone.

4. If you are getting what you describe as "fuzz," I would respectfully suggest that the EQ on you bass must be overloading the SABDDI.

I still think, however, that you will find a great improvement, if not the sound you are seeking, if you adopt something like the settings I have suggested - at least as a starting point.

"Gritty snarl" is, of course, just as subjective as "growl" or "burp". :D :D

That's my £0.02 worth anyway.

5. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Ack, a sansamp can't clip >_<.

6. +++1. :)

7. Hostile post removed. Consider yourself warned Nick.

8. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    ....You'll plug into your amp or go into your computer? Either way, if you have the levels too high, the Sansamp won't clip or distort, your soundcard/amp will.

9. Absolutely correct IMHO

Unless, of course, Nick has had the misfortune to purchase the only SABDDI on the planet which WILL clip. ;) ;)

10. Overload,distort,clip= same thing. You know what I mean. I wish you would just give me some settigns rather than having a go at me.

11. Ok, here are my usual settings:
    Level on full, blend on full, treble 12oclock, bass 2oclock, drive 12oclock, presence 12oclock. This gets a fat sound, but I'm after a bit mroe agression, but if I try to mvoe the drive up a bit, it fuzzes. Also, I was using a DOD EQ pedal, but I have to turn the sldiers up pretty far to notice any difference in tone, but then if i dig in, it distorts a lot(i've got the volume as low as it will go too).

12. All I can do is repeat Post # 6.

The SABDDI DOES NOT clip. The Amp may well Clip/Distort due to excessive input levels.

I'm assuming all is OK with the battery on your bass?

If you try the settings I have suggested (particularly regarding the Blend and Drive levels) and you still get what you describe as "fuzz", I would suggest that either:

1. There is a problem with your SABDDI.

AND/OR

2. There is a problem with your Amp.

AND/OR

3. There is a problem with the EQ on your Bass OR with the way you are setting it. Maybe boosted excessively?

If you don't try the settings I've suggested, Good Luck! :confused: :)

13. Hmmm, I used the settigns you posted a while ago. I'm just after a bit more grit, but i dunno, it aint workin. It works with my Thumb and MIK Spector(bu that thing loases all high end definition). Itl ooks like the Warwick may be the bass I;m using for gigs. :cool:

14. It does seem slightly ironic that you are looking to give your Spector some "gritty snarl" and "grind" whilst your band are unwilling to allow you to play your Warwick because it sounds "too aggressive"!!!!!!!

:D :D :confused: :confused: :D :D :eek: :eek:

15. heh, I'm trying to sneakily get the tone I want without them realising. Hehehe.

16. the thing is, I like my band, I like the music, it's just they seem to have an irrational hatred of ALL warwicks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.