Gimme some growl..

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by popinfresh, Jul 3, 2005.

1. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Well, i'm going to try swap the pup out on my Sterling to a Nordstrand or something similar (Made a thread...) to try and get a little 'more' for my sound. If it really doesn't give me what I want, then i'll be looking at trading/swapping basses (can't afford to buy a new outright).

Pretty much, my favourite tone is from Warwicks. The problem is, with newer Warwicks (I presume) i'm not a fan of the necks (I havn't tried an older one). I've tried Vettes and Thumbs, liked the tone, but not the feel. I'll either be looking at a Stg II, Stg I or even perhaps something like a Dolphin.

I've always loved the growl they get, especially Alex Katunich/Dirk Lance's and the bassist from Grinspoon (Aus band, uses Stg I's I think) and the deep lows they get, yet they also have a crisp top end. I'm pretty much after that, growl when I dig in and a nice smooth round tone when I play softer.
    I'm wondering, is the difference in necks that big between the older and newer ones? If so, I want a thin fast neck, would the older ones have that?

If not, what other basses can I look at for that sound? What's similar tone wise? I tried some US and Europe Spectors, which were OK, but I much prefered the cheap Korean models to them, lol. They were easier to fret, faster and more comfortable. Lakland's have caught my eye, but I don't think they'l give me what I want either.

Any recommendations? Or is there really no substitute for a Warwick? I'll be running through a Trace V8 into a Schroeder 410 and I might be getting an Eden Navigator to run into the House PA/Record with. I can go used, as i'll sell the Sterling over here in Aus and get the bass sent over from USA.

Thanks (Sorry for long thread, but I like to give as much info as I can).
  2. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Honestly, a pup replacement won't solve your problems. But if you like that hi-fi warwick esk sound, I would recommend the EMG MM pickup
  3. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    ^^Which one?

I realise I won't get that Warwick tone, not near it with the MM Sterling. But If I could get some of the characteristics (Growl, bottom end, cutting top end) i'd be happy.
  4. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus

Any other bass's that really growl?
  5. Ozbass

Apr 11, 2005
    I have details of a guy who has a Warwick Thumb from ' has a PJ p/up config and looks in great condition. I used to have a '88 Thumb and it had all those thumpy growly tones you want......and the neck was fast and thin..
    Definitely think the older ones are better.

Let me know if you want details....the guy's in SA

6. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I would say, you should try as many warwicks as you can. But if you are to try a pickup replacement, EMGs would be a good bet. Unless you could get a hold of a MEC pickup and pre, but part of the warwick tone is in their construction.
  7. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Hmm, I sent you a PM about the Thumb.

I'll go try out a few more Warwick's soon. I've heard the ones I tried at a local store were dogs and should be avoided. So i'll venture into the city more to try some out.

I definently love the thumb body and sound, it was the neck that dissapointed me last time, so hopefully the older one will be nicer. :)