1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gimme some Jay Z

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by hants, Dec 1, 2006.

1. hants

hants

Oct 11, 2005
    So, Im starting to dig mr. Jays rapping very much. The only problem is that I dont know from where to start on his albums. Anybody have any suggestions, some friend of mine has babbled much good of the 'Black Album'. What do you think, which of his albums is the best in YOUR opinion.

Thank you

2. rezin

rezin

Sep 26, 2006
    Madison, WI
    in my mind i don't think anything else is close to Reasonable Doubt lyrically. i'm not a huge jay z fan though, and i only really liked one song on the black album (lucifer). After reasonable doubt, my favorite is Blueprint.

Don't forget about his mtv unplugged cd with The Roots, i love that

3. gkbass13

gkbass13 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2006
    Chicago
    unplugged, blueprint, black album, hard knock life volume 2, reasonable doubt

but spare yourself the time and check out some real good rap

nas-illmatic
    notorious BIG- ready to die
    mos def and talib kweli-blackstar

those are 3 essential rap albums that in ym opinion are far better than anythign jay-z has ever put out. or ever will for that matter. he puts out good songs, but lyrically he's pretty weak for the most part.

4. dehory

dehory

Oct 13, 2005
    New York, NY
    Another vote for Reasonable Doubt. It's an obvious choice, but he's never sounded so lean or hungry.

5. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I'm actually digging the new cd.