Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gimmie some suggestions...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by p funk allstar, Dec 31, 2001.

1. Hey everybody... I recently decided to add a fretless bass to my current collection. I plan to spend somewhere in the range of 320-430$ (US) for a USED fretless bass, and I don't know what would be a good choice. I currently play a Fender Standard P-Bass and a Yamaha RBX 370. I play in an alternative-funk band and I play a whole lot of slap, and I do a lot of high-register things, including solos, so I need something FAST on the neck.

Also, does anybody out there know anything about this OLP StingRay bass? I got to play one recently, and it sounded just as good as most "real" stingrays... And the damn thing cost less than both the Yamaha and the fender (it was $230). Any information would be valued.

:confused:

-Thanks,
    Dan

2. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    There are about a million threads on this. Search around.

To sum up what'll get said...get an MIM Fender Jazz and upgrade the bridge and pickups. Done.

OLPs: To me, sound NOTHING like a true stingray. Not to mention they have terrible construction, terrible feel, weak necks, etc. Waste of money, IMO.

3. Thanks for your suggestions, I'll check into the MIM, and disregard the OLP. To me it sounded like a StingRay, But I suppose that the construction can't be very good... Sort of like Squier basses.

4. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    id look for a used MIM fender too, or a yamaha. if you find a good deal on a fretted bass you like you could always just yank the frets on it or one of your other basses. i would defenitly stay away from the OLP's too. about the same level as a squier or a gio series ibanez.

5. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    You can try to find a used MIJ Fender Jazz fretless. Some are of the opinion that they are as good or possibly better than the MIA Fenders. Most of the ones that I have seen are less than $400.00. I don't really know much about the new MIM Fenders but I like my MIJ much better than the MIMs that I tried. The electronics are quieter IMO and it has a more solid feel to it.