1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gimp/Photochop

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by TallLankyBastyd, Feb 22, 2008.

1. TallLankyBastyd

TallLankyBastyd

Jan 31, 2007
    Seattle
    Man... some of you guys are REALLY good with the Photoshop!!

I'm too cheap to go purchase Photoshop (my wife could even get it for student discount rate) but I have downloaded and used Gimp enough to know that... I suck at its use.

Anybody have any recommendations for learning some of the photo manipulation techniques of Gimp? I see some books out there like "Gimp For Dummies"... very apropos for me... but I always hate buying one of these only to find out... it sucks as well...

:)

2. Lalabadie

Lalabadie Guest

Jan 11, 2007
    This may be a good start.

Look up Gimp on Youtube, too. There are many tutorials where you can see the different tools in action.

3. ubado

ubado

Mar 7, 2007
    FL
    Do you have a Mac or PC?
    ... you can find older versions of Mac Photoshops rather cheap. I've got an old version of Photoshop 4 on my Mac from back in the day when I was a graphic designer. Earlier versions will do all the basic things you need ... they aren't as user friendly and have less "bells and whistles".

4. I downloaded GIMP but found that when you saved the files the quality was GREATLY reduced. Even when saving it on the highest resolution.

I'm using Paint.net now, since Photoshop CS2 is all glitchy with Vista.

5. TallLankyBastyd

TallLankyBastyd

Jan 31, 2007
    Seattle
    Thanks for the info...

I'm a hopeless PC user... my experiment with mac last year went horribly wrong and I was left permanently disfigured!! ...I now only use mac if there is a gun to my head. ;)

I have been to that gimp link before... good info but those youtube videos seem to be REALLY good. I'll run through those...

Thanks again!!

6. I know this is going to sound stupid....but work with me here. Work with MSpaint or whatever you got on your computer and make something you do look good. I once offered a friend a copy of adobe photoshop, expecting him to be excited at the thought of being able to generate cool photos. I got the response "nah, dude, I'm a master with Microsoft Paint.":eyebrow: ah well.