Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gimpy Pinky?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by AndrewShirley, Oct 18, 2005.

1. Yes

26.1%
  2. No

65.2%
  3. I lost it in a bizarre vaccuuming accident. (We shall never speak of it again)

8.7%
  1. Who has a gimpy pinky? My 1,2 and 3 are fairly easy to use, but my pinky flops around like a fish out of water... you too?

- Andrew

2. RLT

RLT

Jul 10, 2004
    South Central OH
    Yep every since the motorcycle wreck it's been pretty gimpy.

Just don't want to bend right any more.

3. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    Nope. I used to have a weak pinky, but have worked it up throughout the years.

4. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Nope. My brother has one though. He used to play guitar a lot and did decent lead, but his gimpy pinky really hurt his soloing. Great songwriter and rhythm player though, I wish he hadn't quit playing.

5. froggsoldier

froggsoldier

Apr 29, 2005
    GA
    last time i played bass, i have to say all my fingers were made of butter, but i must say, my pinky was like spray butter :bassist:

6. KSDbass

KSDbass

Mar 25, 2005
    atlanta
    nope, i have the tapping pinky, where theres a "dead spot" in its range of motion, so it moves through it really fast.. its pretty awesome.

7. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    Mine's weak, but I practice on the pinky all the time, and solely practice making it stronger at least 2-3 hours a day.

8. fr0me0

fr0me0

Dec 7, 2004
    Winnipeg Canada
    my pinky is the weakest obviously but its doin not to bad. work it a fair amount

9. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

I use my left hand pinky more than my ring finger. I have pretty big hands, but I won't use my ring finger unless my pinky is already occupied.

10. Nope. Not really.

I pluck with R/H pinky and stop the notes with my L/H pinky.

'Not saying that I'm extra good an' all, but I do play that way.

John

11. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    I use both my ring finger and pinky pretty well, and I'd go so far to say that the latter is more versatile than the former. Try practicing scales, or at least playing minor third intervals from string to string to help get your pinky used to fretting quickly.

12. My pinky is pretty strong, I have smaller hands.. So I must use it :smug:

13. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

My left pinky is VERY strong. I'd like my right was like that. It's extremely weak! I like to do a lot of tapping solo pieces from Stu Hamm and I can't get my right pinky to work at certain points. That's the reason I gave up with "Moonlight Sonata". Sometimes I can use my ring finger instead, but it's very awkward in this piece.

14. my guitarist smashed his pinky under a 10 lpound wieght falling around 6 ftso his left pinky is about 1/4 in shorter than his right, its really creapy

15. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    My pinky is stronger than my index finger...

16. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    Mines weak and never been used for bass strings, i might start practicing with it.. seeing as its possible with most bassists on this thread.. what excersizes do you use to strengthen it up, scales?

17. Lewi_wilko

Lewi_wilko

Mar 24, 2004
    my pinky used to be realy weak but its good now. The only finger giving me trouble at the moment is my ring finger, its not thats its weak, it just doesnt want to move fast.