1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ging from Rounds to Flats, scale change as well

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by RBrownBass, Dec 5, 2011.

1. RBrownBass

RBrownBass Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    Going from D'Addario XL nickel rounds on a 34" Fender (probably 45-105, maybe 45-100- threw away the box some time ago) to flats on a hollow medium scale. I'm looking for similarly-tensioned flats for my new (to me) Dean Stylist Hollow. Scale length is 32". I've used only TI Flats before, have no experience with other brands. The TIs were on a previous Dean (same model) and also on an Ibanez Artcore 34" semihollow. Loved the tone of the TIs but wasn't really in love with the low, low tension, especially on the medium scale bass. This bass is fretted and will probably stay fretted.

Please recommend me some low-tension flats that sound like (or close to) TIs but have just a bit more tension. I'll add here that I don't want crazy stainless Roto round tension- just something in the D'Add nickel round med gauge park is perfect. And FWIW, the string length will probably need to be 34" scale, as the trapeze tailpiece adds another 2" or so behind the bridge. Thanks!

2. RBrownBass

RBrownBass Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    Mods, can you change the "Ging" in the title to "Going", please? Much obliged.

3. I haven't used flats in years. I had 'em on my Ric, when I got it. Loved the feel, but liked the sound of nickel rounds better.

Just a suggestion, though... Either buy a spare set or save the box, fold it flat, and keep it in your case. It doesn't take any space. That way, when you do find "the strings" you won't have any guess work.

4. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    GHS medium or light Precision Flats or LaBella 760FL or FX fits your description.