"Girl Bass Player Club" here!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Tricia, May 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tricia.... does your drummer play standing up?

2. vjaz

vjaz

Apr 17, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    I'm a bonafide girl too and I'd like to join. I'm new at this bass playing thang(about 6 months) but I'm lovin every minute of it.

3. Tricia

Tricia

May 13, 2010
    NH-USA
    :D NO! that was a funky kit at our first open mic! She felt weird, but they wouldn't lower. She did ok though!

4. Tricia

Tricia

May 13, 2010
    NH-USA
    Cool! Welcome vjaz! I started 5 months ago! So cool to meet you!

5. jerryjg

jerryjg

Aug 20, 2006
    :bag:

Tal Whats her name is a woman, and she got a gig with Jeff Beck.

6. Tricia

Tricia

May 13, 2010
    NH-USA
    I think I saw that on youtube, She's got skills for sure!

7. Tricia

Tricia

May 13, 2010
    NH-USA
    well I'm looking forward to hear what we girls have in common. I bet we share similar issues, like small hands, weak pinky fingers, etc.

Today I've got sore fingertips from playing hard at rehearsal.

8. f.clef

f.clef Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2007
    That is not a"girl" thing; it's what we would call a "beginner" thing.

Is "Tricia" for real? I hope so: I know of several great women bassists, and also of the crap they've endured because of the qualifier.

Let's make this thread last, and make it real.

9. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    Cheers for the gals! Start your list with Carol Kaye---honorary member. Don't think we guys have anyone to match her total recording output!

10. Tricia

Tricia

May 13, 2010
    NH-USA
    Yes, you're right about the beginner thing.
    :)

I am for real. I think it's easier for girls to vent (whine, complain, etc) to other women, sometimes.

I have male bassist friends on facebook, and they give me good advice. I love men, but sometimes it's easier to talk to girls without feeling stupid.

11. Tricia

Tricia

May 13, 2010
    NH-USA
    My bass feels pretty heavy, and I feel shoulder and back fatigue after jamming. So I weighed it today. It weighs 9.75 lbs.

I will need to get a comfort strap or something.

12. guitarchaser

guitarchaser

Mar 6, 2010
    Scotland
    Another girlie here *waves* :hyper:

Why I only pick up my 5 stringers if really needed, although it is few and far between when I do use them.

Just got a new bass a few days ago that I've read is 3.2kg or which is about 7lbs, softwoods between hardwoods...I just have no idea what wood though. Still sounds pretty good for a cheap-ish bass and I definitely notice the difference in weight. When I go to pick it up it catches me out :ninja:

I find that of the straps I do have there's a wider, more padded one that works best for me, is a bit bulky but doesn't dig into me and when I have been using it standing up nothing seems to hurt...but could be down to that shoulder having had years of experience carrying a backpack full of books o_O;;;

13. Tricia

Tricia

May 13, 2010
    NH-USA
    Hi Guitarchaser! here's my bass. feel free to post pictures of your stuff here too! :cool:

bass.jpg

14. guitarchaser

guitarchaser

Mar 6, 2010
    Scotland
    That's a sweet bass you have there!

The newest addition I have
    2010_0519004.jpg

And I have just seen a Tokai that is calling my name.......which is not good! I don't need another bass (just now), I don't have the space either!

15. Tricia

Tricia

May 13, 2010
    NH-USA
    oooh! That's a pretty one too! You must have been playing a while. I only have one bass .....so far, lol.:smug:

16. Euphony

Euphony

May 13, 2010
    PA
    The line about only "girls who were born girls" is kind of anti-trans women if you ask me. But I'm not trans and I can't speak for them.

Anyway, I'm a 20 year old beginner female bass player. I'm going to start taking lessons next month. Right now I'm watching Youtube lessons and playing from books.

17. Tricia

Tricia

May 13, 2010
    NH-USA
    HI Euphony! I learn from youtube too! awesome.

Sorry if I sound anti-trans...

I know a trans, and he would have no problem playing bass! Still got the man-hands and shoulders, lol.

Don't ask don't tell? If their profile says female, let it be,....... not my business if they used to be a man.

I was responding to a thread I saw where a transsexual posted before and after pics with his bass. not necessary, imo.

rock on!:cool:

18. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

Typically you see 2 kinds of female bass players.
    The kind that wants to make sure everybody knows they're girls.
    The kind that just wants to play music and would rather not disclose their gender on music sites.
    Few stand in between.

19. Tricia

Tricia

May 13, 2010
    NH-USA
    yes, I wonder how many types of male bass players there are.

20. denton57

denton57

Nov 1, 2005
    Arkansas
    Great comeback, Tricia :).

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 5, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.