"Girl Bass Player Club" here!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Tricia, May 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. a wider strap only helps because it doesn't really dig into my shoulder as much.... I can play longer without needing a break than with a skinnier strap...

2. guitarchaser

guitarchaser

Mar 6, 2010
    Scotland
    Hmm...not sure if I have the small hands things or not, if I do I was never aware of it/never gave it a second thought if something was difficult to play :ninja: although I noticed a couple of months after starting bass if I fanned out my fingers on both hands I could fan out my left hand more than before I started bass so I guess I compensated? XD

Little background about me...first picked up a bass October/November 2008 having tried out electric. I think I switched to bass partly due to listening to a band whose bassist seemed to have some pretty complex and interesting basslines and after getting invited to see a band called The Research where they had a girl drummer, guy on keyboard/singing and a girl bassist. Made a big impression on me even through looking back the basslines weren't that complex but it was the first band I'd listened to/seen that had a girl bassist.

I have a few covers up on youtube, nothing great, starting from about 5/6 months after I picked up a bass.

I have four basses (two four string, two five string), two electric and one acoustic. Even though I only have the hands to play one at a time I know I'll end up with many more. (basses...not hands) :D

3. Howdy y'all! ...been playing upright since '88 or so, and bass guitar since about '93! Rock on!

~basschick22

4. alangoldstein

alangoldstein

Jul 23, 2007
    Charleston, SC
    Endorsments: Aguilar, Hartke, DR strings, Analysis Plus "Oval" Cables
    ive always wanted to date a female bassist. wonder if ill ever meet one who is single.

5. Euphony

Euphony

May 13, 2010
    PA
    Hmm... There are a lot of "post pics of attractive female bass player" threads.

Anyone think we should make one for attractive guy bassists? I can think of a few ;)

6. guitarchaser

guitarchaser

Mar 6, 2010
    Scotland
    I like that idea XD

7. Euphony

Euphony

May 13, 2010
    PA
    But which board should it be under, that is the question.

I think I might broaden the topic to include male musicians in general.

Then I can think of a lot. :D

8. guitarchaser

guitarchaser

Mar 6, 2010
    Scotland
    Hmm...probably here under Misc?

If it's male musicians in general it can't go under Bassists and if it is music related, not just talking about drooling over certain men, but about their music also, styles, if they are inspirations etc. then I'd say it was music related and not Off Topic?

If that made any sense o_O;;;

9. SamanthaCay

SamanthaCay Like bass guitar OMG!

Nov 16, 2008
    Denver, CO.
    Hey so here’s a sort of dumb question some of you ladies might be able to help me out with. I have been wanting to cut my own bangs for a wile now. I’ve never tried it and was wondering if any of you might have some good tips as to how to and how not to go about it.

10. Alucard817

Alucard817

May 18, 2010
    Tampa,Fla
    I have a question for the ladies, if none of you mind?

How did you get started playing bass?

11. Tricia

Tricia

May 13, 2010
    NH-USA
    I'm a hair stylist. What kind of bangs do you want? Long side bangs? short straight-across bangs?

The main thing is, cut them dry,and cut them longer than you want. they will spring up shorter.

also, don't grab hair beyond the width of the arch of the eyebrows...in other words, don't cut into side hair.

12. Rebecca

Rebecca

Sep 7, 2009
    Unusual request, but since I actually have what I consider a great method, I'll tell you: comb your bangs (or the hair you want to become your bangs) together so that you can pinch it all between the thumb and index finger of one hand. Twist this pinch around a few times and then snip off the bottom at whatever length you like. My hair is very springy, so I snip at the tip of my nose. This will give you bangs with approximately the same length, but a little randomness, and the sides will be just slightly longer than the middle. Try it slightly longer than you really want the first time, so if you hate the effect, you can fix it. I find that this method compensates for my lack of ability to cut a straight line and relative disinterest in spending time on my hair.

13. Tricia

Tricia

May 13, 2010
    NH-USA
    I was doing online collaborating with a guitarist from Canada. We couldn't find bassists to add to our songs, so he asked me if I had a bass. He said, " maybe bass is your instrument"....so I tried it, and did youtube lessons. I love it.

14. SamanthaCay

Nov 16, 2008
    Denver, CO.
    I got started when I was 15 because my dad had a p bass sitting in storage that he had once bought and never learned to play. As for why I piked it up is i guess just because I liked music and wanted to make my own.

15. TobyBass55

TobyBass55

Dec 7, 2009
    MI
    Good question, I'm curious too about how everyone got started playing the bass.
    A while back I decided I wanted to learn to play a whole list of instruments...........guitar, piano, bass, mandolin, etc. I played guitar initially. One day it occured to me that whenever I listened to my favorite song I was always just focusing in on the bass. Then I noticed for other songs..........same thing; even ones with really good intrumental parts for other instruments. It made me think that yeah, I really need to try the bass. When I did, I was immediately hooked. There was no doubt in my mind that bass was my instrument. I relate to it in a completely different way than playing the guitar or piano. Once I picked up a bass, I completely lost interest in any other instrument.

In retrospect, it explains why some of the songs I have really liked over the years were my favorites. It was the bass lines.

16. PunkSweeper

PunkSweeper

Jan 23, 2010
    No pics, no girl bassists...

17. DrSmaggs

DrSmaggs

Oct 15, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    Endorsing Artist:
    <3

18. Euphony

Euphony

May 13, 2010
    PA
    Here's the thread about attractive male musicians: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?p=9163082#post9163082

Post away, ladies!

I started playing bass because:

1.) My brother bought one and then didn't use it, so there was one available.

2.) I love the band Tool and really noticed the bass.

3.) It's a fun instrument and I actually enjoy practice. It doesn't intimidate me the way guitar does.

4.) I'm kind of shy and bass works for me because it's not usually in the spotlight.

5.) My dad plays bass.

19. SamanthaCay

Nov 16, 2008
    Denver, CO.
    Ok so that’s I guess pretty much what I had suspected although It hadn’t crossed my mind to cut them a little long. I think when I can work up the nerve I’ll do it then if I do mess it up I’ll just go pay to have it fixed. Oh and I’m going for short and straight across if that makes much of a difference but not to short I’ve got a huge forehead to hide. Here’s a pic if that helps.
    mememe.jpg

Thanks for the help.
    Samantha.

20. rosanne

rosanne

Sep 30, 2004
    SF Bay Area
    As a kid I played piano and organ. In high school and college I played the guitar. Then I put playing music aside for a long time. One day a friend of mine handed me a bass and said "Here, try this." I was hooked as soon as I played the first couple of notes. If I had been playing the bass from the beginning I never would have left playing.

I wish I had taken my Mom's advice (when I was 20) and become a studio musician like my cousin, but I didn't love the guitar the way I love the bass. I can't imagine life without the bass now. It means that much to me.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 1, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.