"Girl Bass Player Club" here!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Tricia, May 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi, all, how do I get a number?

2. Casting Thunder

Casting Thunder

Oct 7, 2012

I blame TB's expletive policy for keeping me from saying what I'd like to these guys. But remember this is probably as close as they get to females (which is such a good thing).

3. I'd like a number too!

My, ahem, credentials!

1383530_10151633357466712_2044725339_n1_zps2599735e.jpg

4. JennySuzuki

JennySuzuki

Dec 18, 2013
    Three. ;)

5. P7Michelle4st

P7Michelle4st

Jul 19, 2013

Agreed!

6. P7Michelle4st

P7Michelle4st

Jul 19, 2013
    The new bass ImageUploadedByTalkBass1387516363.155418.jpg

7. P7Michelle4st

P7Michelle4st

Jul 19, 2013
  8. Casting Thunder

Casting Thunder

Oct 7, 2012
    I have to ask, what's the green guitar behind you?

9. ^^^ An Ibanez. Don't know a model. The guitar player that is on that side with me has two Ibanez.

10. NWB

NWB

Apr 30, 2008
    Kirkland, WA
    :scowl:

Where's a facepalm GIF when you want one?

That is sooo rude and disrespectful!

11. almost human

almost human

Sep 30, 2010
    NYC
    Sweet color! Hope it sounds as good as it looks :)

12. P7Michelle4st

P7Michelle4st

Jul 19, 2013

Us, making fun of you is gonna have to do cause you're the only "tool" here !

ROTFLMAO !!

13. Trayster2

Trayster2

Aug 13, 2012
    Palm Coast, FL
    Chelle, LOVE your new baby!!!! How's the weight? Sweeeeeet color!

14. Nice comeback! :D:cool:

15. SunnBass

SunnBass All these blankets saved my life.

Aug 31, 2010
    Columbia, Mo
    Please don't lump us all together, sure there are a lot of guys who practice misogyny on a daily basis. But there are also many who do not. After reading thru almost this entire thread, I can see why you ladies would want to ban the majority of men from being able to post here. Problem is, no boys allowed/no girls allowed, its the same thing. The same incorrect behavior.
    That being said, I think this club is awesome.
    Music is not a man's world.
    And some of my favorite bassists are women:
    Eva Gardner, Kim Gordon, Tina Weymouth, Kira Roessler.
    Keep up the bad-assery ladies.

16. JennySuzuki

JennySuzuki

Dec 18, 2013
    Are you familiar with the Everyday Sexism project? If not, take a gander at this article. Frankly, even SunnBass' supportive comments are paternalism. Why do we, as Bassists who happen to be women, need encouragement from bassists who happen to be men?

I am reminded of Malcolm X:
    “I tell sincere (men), 'Work in conjunction with us- each of us working among our own kind.' Let sincere (male) individuals find all other (men) they can who feel as they do- and let them form their own all-(male) groups, to work trying to convert other (men) who are thinking and acting so (sexist). Let sincere (men) go and teach non-violence to (men)!

We will completely respect our (male) co-workers. They will deserve every credit. We will give them every credit. We will meanwhile be working among our own kind, in our own (female) communities- showing and teaching (women) in ways that only other (women) can- that the (woman) has got to help (her)self. Working separately, the sincere (men) and sincere (women) actually will be working together.

In our mutual sincerity we might be able to show a road to the salvation of America's very soul.”

Even the title of this thread shows the influence of paternalism. At my age, I'm certainly a woman, not a girl, and I suspect the rest of the players who happen to be female who've posted here are probably in the same category! Yet we've identified ourselves this way because society tells us to be quiet and cute and not a threat!

Well frak that. I'm a papasmufin' woman bass player!

17. SunnBass

Aug 31, 2010
    Columbia, Mo
    Very cool article, thanks.
    My support is by no means paternalism, or at least not meant to be.
    I'm standing with, not in front of.

For example, my wife plays Roller Derby.
    This is an all female sport/league.
    While I am involved, it's their world.
    I'm only there to help. They are in charge.

18. JennySuzuki

JennySuzuki

Dec 18, 2013
    I only mentioned you by name because you happened to have posted just before me, SunnBass. I do appreciate your support, but continue to point out that you felt obliged to offer it because, as a man, you've been socialized to believe that women are weaker, more fragile, and need the protection and encouragement of men.

To quote Aretha Franklin and Annie Lennox, the sisters are doin' it for themsleves!

19. SunnBass

Aug 31, 2010
    Columbia, Mo
    It's cool, I'm not offended or anything.
    To be honest, I threw those social constructs of "the weaker sex" away many years ago.
    There were just some statements made that were broad generalizations of men. While I agree with them, they are also unfair to those of us who do not fall into that category. I do not want to be stereotyped.
    Unfortunately TB is mostly male dominated (or so it seems), this club here is necessary to be able to escape that mentality.
    With that in mind and complete respect, I'll step away now.

20. Casting Thunder

Casting Thunder

Oct 7, 2012
    This is one of the reasons I was reluctant to join this club. I loved it when I first joined this site and everyone assumed I was a guy. For the first time in years my gender came in secondary, and I was viewed first and foremost as a bassist. I would give anything to be viewed this way in real life.

SunnBass, I did not mean for my statement to be applied to all men. I am so sorry that it did not come off that way.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.