"Girl Bass Player Club" here!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Tricia, May 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SunnBass

SunnBass All these blankets saved my life.

Aug 31, 2010
    Columbia, Mo
    All is good, not offended. Apology unnecessary.

2. P7Michelle4st

P7Michelle4st

Jul 19, 2013

It totally does! I put a fresh set of Ernie balls on and it's a funk machine !

3. P7Michelle4st

P7Michelle4st

Jul 19, 2013

For me it's fine 8 1/2 lbs

4. P7Michelle4st

P7Michelle4st

Jul 19, 2013

Agreed !
    The fact that SunBass could feel obligated or comfortable enough to write that is the very proof of his
    "Not getting it".

5. P7Michelle4st

P7Michelle4st

Jul 19, 2013

Here's a thought ....
    Instead of writing to us to tell us what you think. Why not instead point your words to the men who say those things
    that upset you (and us)?
    Why not give them a piece of your mind? You could say things like " hey man, that's not cool" "Don't say [email protected] like that"
    You could be such a great example to your fellow men in how to be respectful of women's spaces and their bodies .

Please, Stop telling us how to deal with it. That's being paternalistic.

Instead , tell your fellow men to stop doing it. That's being an ally !

That kind of man is always welcome!

6. Casting Thunder

Casting Thunder

Oct 7, 2012
    Well lump me in with him, because I don't get how what he said was offensive. I get comfort from getting support from fellow bassists, regardless of what their gender happens to be.

7. SunnBass

SunnBass All these blankets saved my life.

Aug 31, 2010
    Columbia, Mo
    Funny you should say that:
    (You could say things like " hey man, that's not cool" "Don't say [email protected] like that"
    You could be such a great example to your fellow men in how to be respectful of women's spaces and their bodies.)
    I do, frequently, and loudly at that.
    For example I've been known to yell things like "f**k that June Cleaver bulls**t" when some of my wife's fellow derby girl's husbands are un-supportive or get upset that they're gone at derby functions all the time. They're grown men, they can wash dishes, cook food for themselves etc...instead, they've bought into the whole gender role game. Meanwhile they have poker night, or bowling leagues, or band practice. It's total garbage.

I may have been misunderstood.
    Or perhaps my choice of words was vague or confusing.
    I get it.
    And I'll fight alongside, not for.
    I am not your enemy.

This thread is not about me, I have no desire to be a topic of conversation.
    I'll be going now, this is your place.
    It should be man free, the rest of TB is male dominated.

Respect.

8. P7Michelle4st

P7Michelle4st

Jul 19, 2013
    Okay Ladies, new day, new topic. Lets have a little fun and get back to talking about playing bass.

And on that note, to kick off the discussion, I'd like to suggest a poll, Or a survey if you will....

1. How much time do you spend in a day practicing?

2. What do you practice ? (ie, scales, arpeggios, learning new music, etc..)

3. Do you play in a band?
    3a. What style of music do they play ?
    3b. What (if any) other styles of music do you like to play ?

4. Did you play any instrument before starting to learn the bass?

5. Did you, do you, or will you play professionally ?

6. What bass do you play now and what would you play if you had unlimited $$ ?
    6a.What amp do you play now and what would you play if you had unlimited $$ ?
    6b. What's on your pedal board ?

7. What is the hardest part about playing the bass for you, what do you find the most challenging ?

8. What strings do you use ?

9. How long have you been playing ?

10. How long can you play before your shoulder and or fingers start to hurt ? (lol!!)

Thanks!

9. Casting Thunder

Casting Thunder

Oct 7, 2012
    1. How much time do you spend in a day practicing? With school I get in 10-15 minutes a day. My last final was a few days ago, and I've been getting about a half hour each day, besides today/yesterday (It's midnight and I haven't gone to bed yet) which I totally forgot about.

2. What do you practice? (ie, scales, arpeggios, learning new music, etc..) Scales confuse me so I'm spending too much time on learning the fret board (I really should move on) also playing with my metronome, and learning sheet music.

3. Do you play in a band? No.

4. Did you play any instrument before starting to learn the bass? There were always instruments around the house that I dabbled with, but bass is my first serious one.

5. Did you, do you, or will you play professionally? Hahahah no, I dream of being prog rock song writer and maybe winning an obscure Grammy but that's not going to happen in my bedroom. :bag:

6. What bass do you play now and what would you play if you had unlimited $$ ? My main bass is an Ibby GSR 200l, I'd just like to hold a p bass and try out some MM basses, those Bongos look awesome.
    6a.What amp do you play now and what would you play if you had unlimited $$? Fender Bronco 40, I have no clue tbh. I rarely play plugged in.
    6b. What's on your pedal board? n/a

7. What is the hardest part about playing the bass for you, what do you find the most challenging? I'm a righty who plays southpaw, who is dyslexic. Me and chord charts do not get along.

8. What strings do you use? I have Pressure wounds on my main bass, and flats on my shorty.

9. How long have you been playing? It will be 2 years in 12 days.

10. How long can you play before your shoulder and or fingers start to hurt? I haven't had an issue with shoulder pain, but if I play right handed I can only go for 20 minutes. I haven't hit my limit playing lefty, but I have set down for a 15 minutes break from studying, and totally missed an hour and half of my life.

10. Manichga

Manichga

Aug 13, 2013
    Australia
    Hey there! I play bass too. Never thought of myself as a girl bass player, just as a bass player. I'm 43 and I've been playing for 27 years. Phew, that's a long time I'm proud to say.
    Here's a picture of my boys. Love them madly. Play at least one most days. When you get a bit older you can afford some cool gear. Playing in a swing band and an 80's cover band for laughs. ImageUploadedByTalkBass1387692249.714641.jpg ImageUploadedByTalkBass1387692282.445683.jpg

11. 1. How much time do you spend in a day practicing? Two to three hours.

2. What do you practice ? (ie, scales, arpeggios, learning new music, etc..) Songs.

3. Do you play in a band? Yes
    3a. What style of music do they play ? Hard rock/metal/modern rock. Artists on our set list: Dio, G 'N' R, Queensryche, Three Days Grace, Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden....
    3b. What (if any) other styles of music do you like to play ? That's pretty much it.

4. Did you play any instrument before starting to learn the bass? Clarinet and french horn in the school band.

5. Did you, do you, or will you play professionally ? It would be nice!

6. What bass do you play now and what would you play if you had unlimited $$ ? Number one is a Dean Hillsboro Eric Bass in satin black. Number two is a Schecter Diamond P in metallic blue. I like the basses I play now. I'm not one that feels like I should have an expensive bass just for the sake of having one. My "cheapies" sound, feel and play just fine to me!
    6a.What amp do you play now and what would you play if you had unlimited $$ ? Depending on gig size: Peavey Firebass II into one or two Peavey 810TVX cabs or Behringer BXL3000 for smaller places. Dream rig is what Eric Bass of Shinedown uses. Which is Hartke.
    6b. What's on your pedal board ? Digitech BP90 and a Fire Bass Pusher distortion pedal.

7. What is the hardest part about playing the bass for you, what do you find the most challenging ? The inability to understand and play pop and slap bass.

8. What strings do you use ? Ernie Ball Slinkys. The .105 set. But have just purchased a set of DR DDTs to try on the Dean. Would love to try the DR Black Beauties as well.

9. How long have you been playing ? 30 years this month. Gah! :bawl:

10. How long can you play before your shoulder and or fingers start to hurt ? (lol!!) Eh, does not apply to me.

12. Trayster2

Trayster2

Aug 13, 2012
    Palm Coast, FL
    LOVE this response! :)

13. Trayster2

Trayster2

Aug 13, 2012
    Palm Coast, FL
    1. How much time do you spend in a day practicing? Approx. 50-60 minutes a day.

2. What do you practice ? (ie, scales, arpeggios, learning new music, etc..) Hal Leonard for learning notes, Roy Vogt's TMBG for scales & songs, You Tube (finbarbass) for learning songs.

3. Do you play in a band? No, but my goal is to join/form a local band preferably with an older group of hobbiests (no egos).

3a. What style of music do they play ? Classic rock mostly.

3b. What (if any) other styles of music do you like to play ? Blues, reggae.

4. Did you play any instrument before starting to learn the bass? French horn in the school band.

5. Did you, do you, or will you play professionally ? I do it to de-stress from work, so no.

6. What bass do you play now and what would you play if you had unlimited $$ ? Number one is a $159 Ibanez sr400 natural finish with DiMarzio pickups. I also have an Ibanez sr200, & an Ibanez Mikro shorty.

6a.What amp do you play now and what would you play if you had unlimited $ I practice on a Fender Bronco 40, but would love anything very light & compact 400w +

6b. What's on your pedal board ? No pedals. I LOVE the sound of my basses without them.

7. What is the hardest part about playing the bass for you, what do you find the most challenging ? The inability to understand and play pop and slap bass.

8. What strings do you use ? D'Addario chromes on the 400, & D'Addario nickels on the other 2.

9. How long have you been playing ? A year & 4 mos. I've still got a long way to go, but I'm plugging along!

10. How long can you play before your shoulder and or fingers start to hurt ? (lol!!) Eh, does not apply to me.

14. almost human

almost human

Sep 30, 2010
    NYC
    Those are some beautiful basses!

15. lowtom

lowtom

Jul 12, 2005
    Especially the status bass ;)

16. Akami

Akami Four on the floor Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2005
    日本/Alyeska
    I took a look at this thread to see what kind of information there might be for a girl I'm interested in who is playing bass and found it littered with tons of non-Girl Bass Club posts.

Since you're the boss of the club, maybe you could get Paul to give you Moderator status over this thread and you could delete 100% of the derail postings, including this one.

You've been nice, which is a great thing, well. actually maybe too nice! Lots of PC, trolling, patronizing and extemporaneous junk posts that make this thread twice as long as it should be.

Please look into requesting Mod status and getting the thread onto the track you'd originally envisioned, and as such, I think the only valid guy postings should be focused solely on asking questions for someone they know, or offering advice that they've seen to be helpful.

17. I second this motion! All in favor??

18. Snakeman1066

Snakeman1066 Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2007
    Central Valley
    Hello all

some of my absolute favorite players (that just happen to be Female)

l.jpg

Wanda Ortiz

3371065674_8401f42122.jpg

Grog

Doris-Yeh-chothonic.jpg

Doris

19. Trayster2

Trayster2

Aug 13, 2012
    Palm Coast, FL
    Akami, you are so sweet. If our original boss has fallen off the map, I will volunteer....

20. c_maj

c_maj

Jun 24, 2011
    Las Vegas, NV
    1. How much time do you spend in a day practicing? Truth be told, I rarely get a chance to practice, although I play almost everyday.

2. What do you practice ? (ie, scales, arpeggios, learning new music, etc..) When I DO find time to practice, the aforementioned, as well as trying to get a handle on slapping/popping.

3. Do you play in a band? Yes. My church band, as well an independent band that consists of most of the guys I play with @ church and gifted singers from our congregation.
    3a. What style of music do they play ? Christian - which encompasses several genres such as contemporary, gospel, latino, reggae, rock, country and classical.
    3b. What (if any) other styles of music do you like to play ? see above

4. Did you play any instrument before starting to learn the bass? Piano (classical) and cello.

5. Did you, do you, or will you play professionally ? I guess I'm classified as "semi-professional"? I don't have a regularly paying gig (church band is volunteer), but I get hired to play at weddings and special occasions.

6. What bass do you play now and what would you play if you had unlimited $$ ? I'm currently trying to master my first 5-string - Warwick $$ Corvette. With unlimited money I'd like to get something custom - like a Ken Smith.
    6a.What amp do you play now and what would you play if you had unlimited $$ ? I have a teeny weeny Peavey practice amp that I rarely use, but I'm looking to soon upgrade to something from Hartke or Mark Bass. But with unlimited $$ I'd probably purchase an obnoxiously loud custom build.
    6b. What's on your pedal board ? Boss ME-50B Multi-effects board

7. What is the hardest part about playing the bass for you, what do you find the most challenging ? 1.) Finding time to practice! 2.) Slapping/popping on my 5-string.

8. What strings do you use ? I have stock strings on my Warwick, but I currently have Ernie Ball Slinkies on my Ibanez and Dean.

9. How long have you been playing ? About 6 years.

10. How long can you play before your shoulder and or fingers start to hurt ? It depends on how I'm playing (whether normal or aggressive), but up to 2.5 hours.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.