"Girl Bass Player Club" here!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Tricia, May 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KrisH

KrisH

Nov 6, 2007
    New Jersey
    While in 9th grade (1970), I'd been in school band for 4 years and doodling on guitar for about a year. Some classmates had a rock band that played at a pep rally, and I was taken aback by the bass -- how it moved through the song, its deep sound, how it rumbled in my belly. They played Grand Funk covers, so I got the Live album and fell in love with Mel. I ended up buying a used bass for $25 and plugged it into my parents' console stereo. :eek: Anyhow, I soon moved past that, got a lot better at playing, got better equipment, enjoyed a lot of music and had lots of adventures over the next few decades. Still, I sometimes like to stand in front of my stack, turn it up and let the notes flow through me. Or sometimes I'll just sit on top of my amp while playing -- I don't think I'm the only one . . . :hyper:

2. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    Great intro to bass origin story!
    :bassist:

I got hooked by Mel too... but that was in 1973 :eek:

I love female bass players.... :hyper:

3. Tricia

Tricia

May 13, 2010
    NH-USA
    I would put everything in a ponytail except the section you want for bangs. then you won't wreck the sides and top hair. good luck.:)

4. Tricia

Tricia

May 13, 2010
    NH-USA
  5. Alucard817

Alucard817

May 18, 2010
    Tampa,Fla
  6. Tricia

Tricia

May 13, 2010
    NH-USA
    HA! Thanks.:p

7. Euphony

Euphony

May 13, 2010
    PA
    That's really cool! I love when people write original songs because that's what I want to do. I can't sing at all though :(

I also saw a video with your band. I would love to be in an all-girl band. Or a band that is 50/50.

8. Tricia

Tricia

May 13, 2010
    NH-USA
    Well, if you need any songwriting help.. I'm totally into that!:cool:

9. Euphony

Euphony

May 13, 2010
    PA
    I like to write poetry, so I think I could handle my own lyrics. As long as someone else sings.

At this point, I'm such a basic beginner that I don't even want to think about writing songs. I can't even play any covers right now.

10. jwoiton

jwoiton Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2005
    Dallas area
    Favorite female bass players:

Tina Weymouth of the Talking Heads
    [​IMG]

or Sara Lee from Gang Of Four, B-52s, Indigo Girls and more
    1440670218_1ed8c3e795.png

11. Tricia

Tricia

May 13, 2010
    NH-USA
    LOL! I can't play covers at all! :p

12. Tricia

Tricia

May 13, 2010
    NH-USA
  13. rosanne

rosanne

Sep 30, 2004
    SF Bay Area
    I'm very disappointed that my computer (it's old) won't let me see your video! Can you put it on Youtube?

In my band there are three of us that write songs. Our rule is that if you write it you have to sing it.....so all of us have learned to play and sing at the same time. Actually our drummer writes too but he has his own band for his songs. We do a mix of covers and originals, but are moving towards all originals.

14. SamanthaCay

SamanthaCay Like bass guitar OMG!

Nov 16, 2008
    Denver, CO.
    I played for three years before I started trying to sing and play and even then it was tough. The best advice I think is to start simple and have your bass line down so you can play it with out having to think about it. Oh and record yourself. I can remember when I first started I was working on a song that I thought was going really swell, then I recorded it and found that I was actually singing a half step off. So with a little practice I was able to correct it, just go’s to show what a little play back can do. Also you all know you can right instrumental songs too :D For the last couple of years I have been living in an apartment with paper thin walls and since my voice is so loud I have been doing a lot of instrumental stuff here’s a video.

15. lady_bassist

lady_bassist

Apr 8, 2007
    Poland
    Aaaand here's mine (though it's not the only one I play in) www.nailquartet.com

Nice stories girls!

I started playing bass because I thought it was the best sounding instrument ever! :)

Eli_Kyiv likes this.
  16. Tricia

Tricia

May 13, 2010
    NH-USA
    I love seeing the videos! :D

You guys are talented!!!
    My father played the vibes in a jazz band when I was a baby. :)

I don't think my little practice videos are good enough for youtube, but I will try to record a new one soon. My little webcam isn't the best quality either. :meh:

17. guitarchaser

guitarchaser

Mar 6, 2010
    Scotland
    As other are posting clips of themselves here's one of me...probably the best out of the lot I have up...

It's only a cover and had only been playing about half a year when I filmed it so there are many things I have since gone back over just not re-recorded it. Done both by ear and using the official band score.

18. Tricia

Tricia

May 13, 2010
    NH-USA
    That's awesome! :cool:

19. tjmdetroit

tjmdetroit

Jan 27, 2008
    Detroit, MI
    You ladies with them pretty little hands....soft hands with nicely manicured fingernail....maybe some nice rings.....ummm.....wut? Oh yea...that gibson is a short scale bass I think.... it's a 30" bass refefered to as short scale vs say a stock jbass which is a 34" or most sixers are 35". Easier to play....I think, but not sure Jack Bruce played a short scale with Cream. Keep up the goood work Tricia...
    tjm

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 2, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.