Girl Bass Player Club, part 2

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by j-raj, Dec 23, 2013.

1. Well, howdy, I only know about this thread because one of my pals from the Mediocre Bassist's Club pinged me and a couple of others to comment in that VERY long thread started by the young woman about her experiences.

I sorta explained my deal there. I started playing in the early 80s. Had an originals band for about (more than) a decade in LA. Finally just...stopped. I was doing way too many other things, not putting in the time to keep it fresh (I was the singer/songwriter/bassist) and decided I needed to focus on my other creative pursuit, writing.

Fast-forward to having sold that first novel, then 5 more and having such a horrible burnout with writing novels, and being under instead of over-employed, and an old high school pal of mine in San Diego who has always played guitar and played in bands said, "When are you going to play bass again?" and I said, "Now? I guess?"

Two years later we have a fun band here in SD, a power trio at this point, about four sets of material (originals and covers) and I'm having a blast. Even writing songs -- slowly -- again.

I didn't realize how much I missed the bass until I started playing it again. I downsized from that Fender Jazz in my avatar -- it is apparently VERY heavy (I never noticed when I was younger though it was often commented upon), to the point that when I went to pick it up at a guitar shop post setup, the owner said, "Oh, the heavy one? Hey Kate, can you go get that heavy bass?"

ANYway, I have small hands as it is so I got a Mustang PJ and picked up a VM Squier Jaguar SS and a Taylor Mini, and it's possible I have another little travel bass (Greg Benton Corsair Mini) and I can stop ANY time thank you. Well, I can actually, because $. Otherwise though...

I'm still trying to get a handle on sound and set up and strings and such. I used to play through a MusicMan HD 150 tube head and an EV...it's a weird size, bigger than 15" cabinet -- Mike Soldano the guitar amp maker actually sold it to me. It all sounds amazing but entirely too heavy to deal with on a regular basis so I have a Fender Rumble 200c that does the job.

I'm also trying to figure out pedals. Heh.

So that's me, more or less! Howdy everyone!

DrMole, SiliconElle, Inara and 5 others like this.
  2. Morrighan

Morrighan La Contessa Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2015
    Isle of Everywhere
    Wandered in and of that very long thread. The point I made (or believed I made) has to do with, well, this

IMG_20191130_065526.jpg
    which seemed to me how the thread evolved.

What's amazing to me this morning as I work this coffee and prepare for second coffee is how it took until now at TB to meet @OtherLisa It is in LA (San Fernando Valley, actually) where my band gigged about the same time. My day work at the time found me at a keyboard of the typewriter variety. Absolutely no time in grad school that followed to even think about my bass. That journey beyond the degree is as fiercely patriarchal as I ever wish to see.

We all know what it's like.

In these modern, now-a-go-go days, taking care of myself and my basses, and who knows what's next?

Bass went under the bed until retirement.

3. Inara

Inara Fierce Fun Fretless Female Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2017
    Seattle, WA USA
    I've missed this thread. :)

Nothing to say really, except good morning ladies! Stay strong and give zero effs!

loopee, rutrho, OtherLisa and 2 others like this.
  4. GretschWretch

GretschWretch Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2013
    East Central Alabama
    So which are your six novels? My library may have some of them (or not).

rutrho, OtherLisa and lowdownthump like this.
  5. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    Stingray Special was replaced with a Fender Elite Jazz V.

When I moved back to Florida from California I sold my Caprice. I really miss that bass. Might have to get another .
    2027C080-674F-4013-B803-0D9596C81B81.jpeg

6. Morrighan

Oct 22, 2015
    Isle of Everywhere
    deep respect for who you are

rutrho, OtherLisa and Inara like this.
  7. I've sorta been in the closet about that here, but here:

www.lisabrackmann.com/books

Of course the first one I published (ROCK PAPER TIGER) was the one that made the most money and it's been diminishing returns ever since. :D

(some old music stuffs there too: www.lisabrackmann.com/music )

I'd love to hear some of you all's stories!

DrMole, loopee, Humbled and 3 others like this.
  8. Morrighan

Oct 22, 2015
    Isle of Everywhere
    When I say upthread my work saw me deep inside the patriarchy, another way to put it was way up there in corporate. While not at the top, I could see it from there. And sharing absolutely nothing new about what was required on my part to earn the respect of my male colleagues.

Stories. Have I got stories. The headline for the executive summary of those travels (that might get skimmed) might read: Gone Fishin'

OtherLisa, rutrho and Inara like this.
  9. rutrho

rutrho

Mar 29, 2014
    San Jose, CA
    Uhh, I guess story time is in order, lol.
    I'm a mediocre bassist at best, Fairly new at playing out and I've been a bit more serious about my playing these past five years so I've been pushing myself to get out of my comfort zone and find folks to play heavy music with. I work in engineering so creative stuff and songwriting and so on is something I'm great at but its slowing getting better with forced practice.

I started playing when I was 17 but didn't really push to play out or really get better till recently when I started to need some other outlets that weren't related to drugs or alcohol or doing stupid stuff. SO, bass has been helping. I started playing fretless around a year and a half ago and that was pretty mind blowing as I could start getting the sounds and the music in my head, OUT. Having that avenue of expression opened up has been so cool. I have an Ibby 4 fretless and a GWB35 (which is my main bass <3), plus a stingray and an ancient squier P bass that I've had for almost 2 decades. Kind of keeping with the fretless trend, if work goes well I might place a deposit on a Zon 5 fretless...

Currently I just joined a sort of post punk/post metal/hardcore project and its been a blast with some super chill guys. One of my music things I'm trying to improve on is getting better with some of the vocals and doing some backup stuff for this project. Learning to sing and not sound like a dying cat has been a huge challenge but I discovered that I can play, sing and somehow keep my intonation half decent.

Anyways hope y'all are doing good and keep doing awesome stuff!

10. GretschWretch

Dec 27, 2013
    East Central Alabama
    I would be willing to settle for the caption for that illustration you posted upthread.

OtherLisa likes this.
  11. Inara

Jun 12, 2017
    Seattle, WA USA
    As for stories, well, I've been playing bass for most of my life, though I also played flute, trumpet, and guitar. I got obsessed with bass after seeing the local high school jazz band perform when I was a kid. The bassist played a white fretless Jazz, and I thought it was the most beautiful instrument I had ever seen. My first bass was fretted, but I got a fretless after 6 months, and have concentrated on that almost completely, except for my decade in Nashville playing in country and blues bands, where a vintage Precision was the best tool for the jobs. Now I'm back in Seattle and full time fretless once more, and playing originals again, all of which makes me very happy.

Once upon a time I made a living in the classical music world, but it was a very meager living. Very very meager lol. I got into computer programming, self taught, and that's been paying the bills for a long time.

I'm playing now more than I have in years, in a band that I consider family, and we're doing pretty well, so that's cool.

Speaking of writing, I do some amateur horror fiction writing in my spare time, collaborating with a small group of writers and artists. Nothing published yet, but we're close to completion of a graphic novel adapted from one of my stories, and a book of short stories and flash fiction. The longest thing I've written is only around 10,000 words, and I'm in awe of anyone who can craft a novel!

12. Writing a novel is a lot like eating an elephant — one bite at a time!

Congratulations on your writing progress and on all the great music stuffs!

Morrighan, rutrho and Inara like this.
  13. Inara

Jun 12, 2017
    Seattle, WA USA
    Thanks!

Morrighan, OtherLisa and rutrho like this.
  14. Morrighan

Oct 22, 2015
    Isle of Everywhere
    If ever a thread more deserving of bumps, this is it.

It may be reasonably stated that I have more than a passing acquaintance with newspapers. For it is in the early 80s in Los Angeles as a Musician's Institute graduate, paid the bills as a reporter for Hearst. One thing to another, city editor, wire editor, rim editor, and ... and then into the clear blue skies. In that work (from which I am happily retired), my essential agreement is if the paper doesn't publish when you are on watch, you walk come morning. And our team takes all steps to ensure nothing stops the presses. It's not normally a problem, but when it is, it is a very big problem, e.g. 911. My office for that client is across from the WTC, you see .... They published, hey.

I've my coffee, my basses, a standard poodle named Odin, time, and everything's jake. This is a view of where I go to work here in 2020.

20190702_180348.jpg

15. GretschWretch

Dec 27, 2013
    East Central Alabama
    This banner just oozes Child ballad; and I still am pondering whether your screen name is your real name, or if you are delving into Celtic folklore.

Morrighan likes this.
  16. IMG_6572.JPG Love that banner, @Morrighan !

If I could find the photo, I'd share my one and only tattoo -- three intertwined Celtic cats.

HAH! Found it. I had it re-inked a couple years ago. Really want a new one but indecision and lack of funds has delayed that.

View attachment 3671691

Inara, Morrighan and SiliconElle like this.
  17. Morrighan

Oct 22, 2015
    Isle of Everywhere
    It's only folklore until you meet me. Then it's real because Morrighan is my middle name. I tend not to use it when in the states because everybody contracts it to "Morgan". :banghead:

Akami, OtherLisa and Inara like this.
  18. Morrighan

Oct 22, 2015
    Isle of Everywhere
    That's great.

OtherLisa and Inara like this.
  19. So! A sort of pedal board! The first two ancient-looking pedals are my old ones from back in the day. Tbh, the only one I ever used consistently was the compression/sustainer and I even stopped using that as time went by (I really liked the way my old amp setup sounded all by its lonesome). The distortion pedal is new and I really don't quite understand it but oh well.

Not precisely elegant but it all works. I expect I will mostly continue to use just the compressor or nothing, but there are a couple songs we do where the others might fit.

And yes, thanks Rock and Roll Maker People, for the name of that new one...You think maybe they make one that's called "Big D***"?

IMG_9194.JPG

Morrighan and Inara like this.
  20. P7Michelle4st

P7Michelle4st

Jul 19, 2013
    This forum ends here? Bummer. I was looking for a place to get away from the mansplaining and "I really dig chick bass players"
    Any recommendations?

OtherLisa, amper and Morrighan like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021