Girl Bass Player Club, part 2

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by j-raj, Dec 23, 2013.

1. P7Michelle4st

P7Michelle4st

Jul 19, 2013
    oohh la la very nice

OtherLisa and Morrighan like this.
  2. P7Michelle4st

P7Michelle4st

Jul 19, 2013
    Okay, then, we'll just keep it here
    Me too , sort of. I've been looking into software that musicians use to play together in real time. Like Zoom. I have a focusrite Scarlet 2i2. Perfect interface for bass players.

3. LBS-bass

LBS-bass

Nov 22, 2017
    This thread keeps stalling out for some reason. I use the "new posts" option when I come to TB so when the thread (or any other, really) stops coming up in the newest results, I forget to look for it. I feel bad that I haven't contributed recently.

As far as software options, I've had some success with JamKazam. It didn't seem worth messing with in the beginning but they seem to have gotten it dialed in to some extent. The key seems to be having fast internet and a hard wired internet connection to the computer.

The group of people I do these remote jams with sets up a zoom session for the same time as our jam, which gives us better visibility to each other. It's been a fun way to do some "live" music with others during the past year.

I also have that same Scarlett interface; love it!

4. P7Michelle4st

P7Michelle4st

Jul 19, 2013
    F06D7509-4DB9-42D2-8E7C-6E473FABC1A6.jpeg F06D7509-4DB9-42D2-8E7C-6E473FABC1A6.jpeg

A bit of a work in progress, but I'm quite happy so far. But I feel a set of Delanos are in my future.

OtherLisa, TRNSGRL and Morrighan like this.
  5. P7Michelle4st

P7Michelle4st

Jul 19, 2013
    Yeah, with a good pair of powered monitors you have a nice bass amp.

OtherLisa, Morrighan and LBS-bass like this.
  6. P7Michelle4st

P7Michelle4st

Jul 19, 2013
    Well I'm going to say good night here. I have an early Monday.
    Very happy to find y'all.
    M.

7. amper

amper

Dec 4, 2002
    US
    I just posted a question in the group to see what’s up.

8. LBS-bass

LBS-bass

Nov 22, 2017
    That's a beautiful natural ash bass. Have a good night!

9. Morrighan

Morrighan La Contessa Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2015
    Isle of Everywhere
    Lockdown means to me a serious doubling down on music study in the total absence of work. Which is how it worked out that serious music study became my work. :wacky:

The backstory (and by means of introduction)

It's a traditional music education with all the trimmings. My instrument is the saxophone until I lose my embrasure following a tonsillectomy at 18. Take one music theory course at university. The class where all homework is done in pencil because :: smh :: because music theory as taught at that level is dry and uninteresting, and unnecessarily difficult. IMO. So I went down the hall to the English department, and

picked up the bass when I graduate in 79. Bought a brand new Stingray
    20210220_190613.jpg
    that's still with me (but at the luthier's for some serious work 42 years on). It's the bass I took with me to Musician's Institute in 81. Had a great band going with a good following when called upon to see to other life needs (as sometimes happens).

Opportunity in retirement means freedom to pursue bass again. Picked up a copy of Ari Cap's Music Theory for the Bass Player and joined the beta cohort. Returned for the 2020 cohort, and lockdown hit. With not a great deal else to do, nailed that course. And returned as a coach and three-time participant in January for the Music Theory for the Bass Player cohort.

All of which means I've learned to record videos for the course work. Started with a smrtphn on the music stand. Now I run from a DI to a DAW to Win10. Sweeten up the signal with a VT Bass.

Truly never believed I'd be recording videos, but there's yer lockdown.

Looks like things are opening up and there's work ahead. Few musical contacts here on the Isle of Everywhere. Headed to Chicago this summer to explore something very positive ... Chicago is one of those cities that has always been good to me. It's where my alleged career went into overdrive, and now I return ...

wearing a very cool tee with Skippy the Metronome from Ari's Indiegogo campaign for her new book :cool:

10. Inara

Inara Fierce Fun Fretless Female Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2017
    Seattle, WA USA
    My join request from a few days ago was approved today

SamanthaCay, OtherLisa and Morrighan like this.
  11. I've consistently heard good things about the Scarlet. I have a Behringer Uphoria which is...well, the first one was defective out of the box, and the return process was pretty convoluted. This one is...okay? I don't know that I'd recommend it, in other words.

Don't you have a lot of trouble with latency on Zoom?

I've been doing recording with a longtime and very good guitar player buddy of mine (I'm a singer/songwriter/bass player -- I cannot play guitar at all! This guy is amazing). We get together on Zoom to talk through songs and parts and then it's all done over email. I'm digging it. I'm enough of a perfectionist to enjoy putting it all together but not quite enough of one to learn (or bother with) the subtleties of mixing/mastering. It's actually been good for me to let go of everything having to be PERFECT and instead aiming for, "this gets my intentions across." And it's been a blast working with my guitarist buddy. We've always had a great creative relationship, and revisiting it has been one of the real bright spots of an objectively awful year (I mean, collectively. I've had some ups and downs and a couple major losses but overall I've done well).

Morrighan likes this.
  12. SamanthaCay

SamanthaCay Like bass guitar OMG!

Nov 16, 2008
    Denver, CO.
    Same! I'll be posting in there soon. I'm on vacation atm in the middle of nowhere NM, and may be a little preoccupied for awhile.

Walked around the sleepy little town of Raton today and found this long abandoned recording studio with the sign still intact.
    DSC_0275.jpg

JRA, OtherLisa, Morrighan and 3 others like this.
  13. SamanthaCay

SamanthaCay Like bass guitar OMG!

Nov 16, 2008
    Denver, CO.
    I have had a scarlet 2i2 for a few years now btw.
    I can't speak to how it would work for podcasting but I can just say I can't praise it enough for the many great recordings I've gotten with it.

On the headphone thing, I can't remember what brand it was exactly but I bought a cheap 4 channel headphone mixer a few years ago that seemed fine to do that job, be it I haven't used it but once or twice.

14. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Folks - when this thread was created as a continuation of the "Girl Bass Player Club" thread, the word "Club" was left out of the title.
    I put "Club" back in the title. Hopefully it will remind our forum members of the focus/purpose of this thread (for women bass players to post and support one another) and not go off topic into guys posting "my favorite female bassists".

15. Morrighan

Morrighan La Contessa Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2015
    Isle of Everywhere
    A very cool place to Be!

16. Even as an older newbie (based upon progress to date) I changed each bass I acquired to flats. Just don't like the whizzing, whistling sound of sliding fretting fingers along rounds. Since at my skill level (or lack thereof) I didn't seem to be able to avoid doing that, it made sense to me. All of this talk about tone and all is more or less lost on me, as I working on playing cleanly first! BTW, flats just fit on a Mikro...

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021