Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Girl need help on light weight amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Plasticpulse, Jan 31, 2002.

1. Hey!

First, my english is terribly bad, all my excuses to those who will read this.. ;)

Soon, I will begin playing gigs in small and medium venues and I am looking for something more appropriate than my poor little pratice amp..

The problem is: I can't lift more than 50 lbs.. :(
    So it's impossible for me to think of a 4x10 cab or even a combo.. (And I really wonder how you guys can transport big 8x10!!!)

I need a very portable, but loud enough stack..

Also, I live in Montreal (Canada) and lots of american products aren't available here.
    I can get stuff by Eden, SWR, Ampeg, GK, Trace Elliot, Hartke, Yorkville and Peavey.

Any suggestion?

2. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    well, if you don't mind carrying around several pieces of gear you can get as big and loud as you want and never carry anything over 50 pounds.
    my set up is:
    Ampeg B4r- 40 pounds
    2 Bag End S15d's- 44 pounds each
    1 Carvin RL210- 47 pounds
    Rack bag with power strip, tuner, wireless unit, Alesis Compessor, Boss Chorus-40 pounds total

Of course I have a hand truck so I can roll 2 or 3 of these items into the gig at a time so I'm not making a million trips.

3. captainpabst

captainpabst

Mar 18, 2001
    Tennessee
    i don't know what kind of money you're ready to spend, but a gallien krueger microbass combo would probably do you right. 24 pounds. you can get an even lighter weight matching extension cab for it, as well as a shoulder bag. and they sound great to me. the combo, extension, and bag(s) will run about 1000 dollars (american) though. check it out:

http://www.gallien.com/PRODUCTS/COMBOS/MB150E112/mb150e112.html

4. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Get a bass speaker cabinet that you can handle. Get one with casters so you can roll it around instead of carrying it.

Then put a preamp and an appropriate lightweight power amp in a portable rack case, and you'll be set. You can set the case atop the cabinet when you roll it so you don't have to carry it much, either.

5. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I'd go with cb56's recomendation of a Bag End 15. Those things are reputedly some very nice cabs with volume, punch, and apparently, rather light.

Quite a few people will attest to Bag End's quality.

6. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Does your band/ensemble have a good PA that you can plug into? If that is so, then you could just get something small like that small SWR acoustic amp, and use it like a monitor.

7. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    (Waves) I will, I will!

Also, I just built a mid-power rack that weighs less than forty pounds and still cranks out 1000W. Power and light weight are NOT mutually exclusive!

8. stevekim

stevekim

Feb 11, 2000
    los angeles, ca
    why racks? racks can get pretty heavy, espcially with a big power amp in it. there are plently of good, loud, light bass amps to choose from. the gk 1001rb is a very nice amp that's reasonably priced, puts out 540watts and only weighs 18 lbs.

steve

9. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    SWR Interstellar Overdrive
    Peavey DPC1400 or Stewart World 1.2

all that in a soft rack bag or one of those shallow SKB racks.

and then some kind of light cab, like a pair of 2x10s or a 4x10 with wheels.

but definitely get that rack up top there. when it comes to tone vs. weight i don't think there's ANYTHING that could touch it.

jason

10. JimM

JimM

Jan 13, 2000
    Northern California
    What captainpabst said.

Those GK MB150 combos are small and light,have a twelve inch driver,an all metal cabinet,150 watts,plenty of volume (unless you're going up against a marshall stack) and great tone.I plan on getting one just as soon as I get too old to carry my 4x10 and 1x15s,which ought to be in about a couple of weeks here;)

11. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    How much are you willing to spend on upgrading your amp?

the best sounding 2x10's imo are the eden xlt2x10. Theyre not all that heavy, and the to my ears sounded deeper, fuller, richer, and had a much more pronounced mid range than any 2x10 ive ever played. But they are somewhat expensive.

yes there are lots of other brands out there, but untill i know how much you want to spend im recomending what imo the best of the bunch.

are you looking for a new amp too or just a cab?

12. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
  13. A Walter Woods head would be perfect for you (and me). They are the absolute best sounding head I've played through regardless of the weight. BTW they are tiny.

14. <font face=courier>Lynn Kellar (I think that's her name) is in the same boat as you. I read an article about her in an old issue of BP, and she is a very small lady! Anyways, she uses 2 or 4 Euphonic Audio 1x10s. They weigh next to nothing!

15. true, but that would get very exspensive, however i was surprised how by how heavy they are for there size. Obviously it's because of their construction and how much they put out of a such a small package. Still it felt heavy to me and i'm huge, i mean huge :oops:

it's still got to be lighter than a 2x10 or 4x10.

The idea of going into the PA is both practical and efficent. If its powerful enough you can run through that, buy yourself a nice monitor, something with tiltback, or a pair for more 'feel'. This way once you've unloaded you bass/es you can help with the other gear, and the drummer will love you:)

play what you can, getting a good sound from small components may be exspensive, but worth it. I'm a big guy, but i want the smallest rig i can :p

stu

16. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    The GK puts out 100W into the internal speaker (8 Ohms) - to utilize the full 150W you need an extension cab. I would highly recommend this anyway if you want to achieve more than rather moderate volume. I would also recommend to use a ported cab and not the sealed 112 GK cab for more volume.

With my GK MB150 + ext. cab I was able to keep up with a R'n'B band including a 3 piece brass section.

Plasticpulse:
    If you are able to extend your range to 60lbs you could get almost any 210 cab, also some 115 and 212 cabs are within that range.
    I also believe that in the 300-500W range an amp head is both lighter and cheaper than a rack setup.

I use a 400W head with a 212 cab (64lbs) and I'm perfectly happy.

Matthias

BTW: From the brands you mentioned these cabs are under 50lbs:
    SWR Workingman's 115: 45lbs
    SWR Workingman's 110: 26lbs
    Gallien Krueger 210 RBH: 48lbs
    Gallien Krueger 210 BLX: 46lbs
    Hartke 210 XL: 47lbs
    Eden CXM-112: 35lbs
    Eden CXM-110: 26lbs
    Nemesis (by Eden) N112P: 38lbs
    But I personally would not chose any of them (except maybe the GK210RBH)

17. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    YORKVILLE!

Ok,im not saying to get one just because i have one,but i have the 50-watt,its lightweight(it feels light to me and im very small and weak)and it gives out ALOT of noise.It can get really good low end noise,or good treble.I suggest you try one,mine was only 150 used and usually 220 new.

18. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I have been using a Nemesis 210 combo amp for a while. I sold off a 410 and head because this sounds just as good and the whole rig is only about 45 pounds or so. Very tight, punchy sound with suitable EQ abilities. Plenty of features. AND LOUD!!! It doesn't sound exactly like Eden's top end stuff, but it does sound very good. It is also a little less expensive than some of the others mentioned. About $600 new American.
    I would at least recommend trying one as part of your search.

Chas

19. I'd say go for a GK 1001RB and two Bag End S15-D's.

20. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Yes, they can get heavy if you buy heavy ones and put heavy stuff in them. But for light weight, you just buy a light rack case and put lightweight stuff in it.

For example, my 4 RU SKB case contains my preamp, power amp (1000 W into 8 ohms), outlet strip, and DI, and weighs less than 40 lb. Without the rack case it would weigh maybe two pounds less but would be a lot harder to carry.

I haven't tried the Bag End cabs that others mentioned, but I know a couple guys who swear by them.