Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Girlfriend won't let me sell my bass!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by tplyons, Mar 23, 2005.

1. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Well, it's not my only bass. It's a Brownsville ABG that I picked up at Sam Ash in NYC when I was with her our first trip into the city together. And frankly, the thing is cool, but I don't play it. I got a new amp for my room, so I can play electric, which replaces the whole purpose of the ABG.

However, she likes it. She wants it, but she wants to buy it off of me because I need the money. I feel really weird selling something to my girlfriend of over a year, and she wants to learn to play. I've offered to lend her my first bass until she got her own, but she doesn't want that. She wants my ABG saying she has an emotional attachment.

I could sell for $150, what should I do? I'm in debt, I don't play the thing, it's just sitting in a corner. Help?

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    LOL. If I didn't sell basses, I'd easilly be $15,000 in debt.

3. i don't get it...your last sentence gave you the answer,
    you are in debt, she wants to buy it, and you haven't played it for a while...whats the problem?

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    The problem is I don't feel right selling it to her for anything worth while.

5. Corbis

Corbis Guest

Feb 19, 2003
    Wamego KS
    You could marry her.....but instead of a ring give her the bass. Then when you get married use her money to get you out of debt!

It kills to birds with one stone!

Well weddings are expensive...go to Vegas

:D :D :D
    I'm just kidding.

6. A bad one won't let you BUY a bass.

7. Your girlfriend wants to learn to play the bass. That seems like a great compliment from her towards you. Her wanting to be a part of and share in something that you enjoy greatly.

I would give her the bass, $150.00 isn't an astronomical sum of money, plus you may score some points & it would make you feel good.

8. sell her it, maybe a little cheaper - then when it comes to an occasion, treat her right. :)

9. leanne

leanne

May 29, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    I'd sell it to her. Maybe someday you could buy it back when you have more $ and she wants a new one. Plus maybe she's trying to do you a bit of a favor, you know?

10. LeonD

LeonD Supporting Member

It depends on how serious you guys are.

If you're very serious, give it to her and think of it as a long term investments. ;)

If you're not serious, sell it to her for as much as you can get. :eek:

LeonD

11. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I wouldnt sell it. I recently went through a sell-happy fit and sold lots of my gear, including 2 basses , an amp , and a pedal. Im now left with my amp rig and my musicman sterling, and my godin sd as a backup bass. My girlfriend likes the Godin bc its 'pretty' and its also the first bass she ever played on. I dont think id ever sell it because shes attached to it as such.

12. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Look--be realistic about this.

If you need the $150, and aren't playing the thing, then you need to sell the bass.

Her wanting the bass doesn't negate that you need the money. Call it a loan if you need to, and buy her a nice present down the road when cash is more flush.

Or, when she realizes that she doesn't really want to play bass, then she can sell it for $150.

Either you need the money, or you don't. It really is that easy.

13. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    He nailed it.

14. ++1. :)

15. +1
    it looks VERY cheap and tacky to sell things to loved ones, if she was your wife would you sell it to her? its just not a good situation at all. give her the bass. if she knows you are broke right now maybe she would offer to lend you some coin or cover a date or two but dont sell it to her that is just cheap i have given my girlfriend many things i could have sold even though i am so broke, but you know i let her know about my fanicial status and am very open and she is amazing at picking up tabs and covering for me when i need it and when the roles were reversed i did the same for her. bottom line, DONT SELL HER THE BASS just give it to her at the end of the day 150 isnt that much anyway

16. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA

Looks cheap to whom? Faceless names on an internet forum? Anyone whose opinion actually matters won't care. And, besides--is the plan to sell it to her and then tell everyone they know about it? I certainly don't broadcast every purchase or trade with my friends and family.

And, to say "$150 isn't that much anyway" is just stupid. How do you know what $150 means to anyone else besides yourself? Ask a homeless guy if $150 is a lot of money.
    If your phone bill hasn't been paid in two months, $150 is a lot of money. He's already said he "needed money." $150 is "money." Don't think your worldview applies to anyone by yourself.

17. +1.

Well put.

IMHO, of course. :)

18. I learned long ago not to sell things to friends or lovers.

There are too many ways for it to blow up in your face. :eek:

19. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    If she were his wife, they'd probably have shared finances and rent. At the very least they'd have a different relationship than people who have been dating a year have.

I think it's cool that she's offering to pay and not exercising her "booty given rights" to the guitar. Take her up on her offer and save up for a nice Valentine's day gift next year. And don't ignore the fact that you're in debt.