Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Girlie Men

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Luckydog, Aug 6, 2003.

1. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Dec 25, 1999
    I can't believe how many posts on various boards I read about how freaking heavy SVT's are, how they are such back breakers, how the load-in/out is so tough with them, etc etc. What have we become, a world of Girlie Men? I can certainly understand someone not prefering the SVT tone, or not wanting to retube, or other such reasons. But weight? I am 51 years old, I am not in superhuman physical shape, I play out every weekend, normally twice a week, I load all my own gear from my truck to the gig, back home out of the truck, into the house, back into the truck, yadda yadda. On top of all this, I have a congenital back problem and broke my back in 1983. Since then if I do heavy lifting or heavy yardwork etc, I get back pain for a day or two. Any reasonably fit teenager could probably beat the cr*p out of me (heck maybe they will I dunno). I just can't understand the whining about carrying an SVT head around. Sure, the 8X10 cab is a beast, I use the 410hlf which is plenty to move by itself. But the head is not a tough carry. I carry mine up flights of icy steps at 3:00am. I don't understand how reasonably fit adults can complain about such a minor inconvenience especially if they like the tone. Oh well.

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    My rack is 50+ kg - I'm not complaining (much) :p

3. Rickenbackerman

Rickenbackerman

Apr 17, 2001
    Laurel MD
    I never understood it. If you have a back injury, fine. But I'm weak and I own three early 70's SVT heads and two cabs. My rig for big shows is one head (in a 30 pound roadcase, thats 120 total) and two 810's. Yeah, the stuff is heavy. It is not, however, *that* heavy.

I also think it's MUCH easier to move a 165 lb 810 around than a 100 lb 410. Tilt and slide rather than lift.

4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

1) I love old SVTs. But I also love my rack rig: and unlike an SVT, it stays in the "sweet spot" at any volume, quiet or loud.

2) I'm a girly man. :p

5. Rickenbackerman

Rickenbackerman

Apr 17, 2001
    Laurel MD
    1) True, an SVT needs to be LOUD, and that's not always feasible for everyone. Good point.

2) We are here to PUMP YOU UP. YAH. (hanz and franz)

6. Luckydog

Dec 25, 1999
    "an SVT needs to be LOUD, and that's not always feasible for everyone"

In those instances I pull out my trusty Sansamp tone box, and it provides enough "edge" to my tone, that when combined with the SVT at medium volume, I still get that sweetness.

7. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I think America is just to used to NO exercise, & surviving on a diet of doughnuts... It distrubs me greatly. This is probably the ONLY work out some of these guys will ever get! LOL

8. It wasn't all that long ago that in addition to the usual heavy cabs, heads and PA gear we had to haul a Hammond B-3, a Mellotron and a pair of Leslies (122s?) into the truck. You didn't want to be stuck at the end of the evening carrying those! I don't miss it at all and I'm glad to have downsized a bit.

9. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Heavy is heavy, whether your strong as an ox, or weak as a tulip stem.

I recommend a steady diet of squats and barbell shrugs.

10. I was using Peavey cabinets for a few months. They were approximately 100lbs. for a 410 and 85lbs for a 115. These were heavy enough for me. I can't imagine carrying anything heavier.

I stopped using the Peaveys because of the weight. I live in an upstairs apartment. The heavy cabinets were causing back problems. I don't live in the same town as my band members, and don't have help hauling my gear up/down the stairs. I eventually pulled a muscle and decided that was it. I now use 2 cabinets that weigh 45 and 60lbs.

I'd like to check out some higher end gear. My next cabinets will probably be Eden, Epifani, SWR (Goliath) or Aguilar. These seem to dish out plenty of low end and some are still reasonably light. I might even go with a stack of 4 cabinets. I'd rather make several trips with light gear then 1-2 trips with heavy gear. You have to love technology.

That's great if the SVT gear is working for you. But me, I don't want back problems. I carry my gear and don't feel any pain.

11. Wimps! In my day you had to carry your SVT and 810 to the gig on your back. 10 miles, uphill both ways, in 20 feet of snow............
    :D;)

SVTs are heavy but they're not unmanageable. With proper carrying techniques you won't pull muscles. You think bass gear is heavy? Try pushing a 1000lb sound console up a truck ramp, or a case full of 4-ought feeder cable....:D
    Ten years of doing that stuff has instilled good lifting habits in me... I never lift with my back. Not even 20lbs. Always use your legs.... I've seen so many people injured from lifting stuff wrong it'd make your head spin.

12. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    To use a car analogy, an SVT is a solid hunk of 60s detroit rolling iron. SOlid and heavy because that's how you built stuff back then. Times change. People started making lighter gear for a reason. I've nothing against SVTs other than I can't afford one, but I've lugged them. Heavy but by no means unbearable- I'm a mason, I know about heavy things. No reason to try to make a point of honor about carrying big heavy things, though, that's just silly.

As far as cabs, though, the 8x10 is so much easier to move as long as you don't have to go upstairs with it.

13. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    Back in the day everything was heavy. Double 15 bass bins, heavy ass power amps(Peavey cs800), B3 organ, Rhodes 88, And yes Ampeg SVT and 8x10 cabs. It's just what you do for rock and roll.
    Chicks dig it when you have big equipment!!

14. Luckydog

Dec 25, 1999
    I think some may have misinterpreted my post. I was not arrogantly describing the heavy load I carry, nor how I am not a girlie man (for you bimplizkit). However for all gigs I also have to carry the entire PA system, 2 Mackie SRM450's, a 1500 subwoofer, and often 2 1530's.

My point was the whining that I read from people who think carrying an SVT head is excessive. I choose to carry my SVT because I prefer the tone over others. The whining I have read is not from people who prefer other gear, more power to those folks and I totally respect their choices. But I don't understand the whining from people who want that SVT tone, but are unwilling to cart the head around.

15. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    And this isn't in Miscellaneous why?

Yeah, the whining is silly but what does it really have to do with AMPS? You should've posted this in the Oprah section of board.;)

Oh yeah, is the back problem and SVT just a funny coincidence?

16. Luckydog

Dec 25, 1999
    "And this isn't in Miscellaneous why?"

"Yeah, the whining is silly but what does it really have to do with AMPS?"

quit whining ihixulu. The post has to do with people's perception of the weight of SVT heads. No the back problem has nothing to do with carrying an SVT head. :)

17. We use 2 SR4719X's, two EP tops. Amps/board. In-ear montiors in a 28 space case. Lotta poop. And a 810E

18. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I'm not exactly girlie, but I like smaller cabs, a 2x10, some 4x10s, a 1x15 so I can pick and choose for the venue. Problem with the 8x10, unless I'm doing one gig, relatively simalar stages very often, it's just not worth it.

Besides, I have a VERY steep driveway and my cabs tend to roll back down :p

19. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer

That's a girlie excuse if I ever heard one.

This is the silliest thread I've ever read.

:bassist: :bassist: :bassist: