Girlie Men

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Luckydog, Aug 6, 2003.

1. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

Yup. The reason I fell in love with the SVT rig was the punch and the growl. Also, tremendous bite even without a tweeter.

Clearly, someone got "SVT" confused with "Acoustic 360/361". ;)

2. Rickenbackerman

Rickenbackerman

Apr 17, 2001
    Laurel MD
    Haha! Although, a buddy of mine has a 360 that blows my mind... I can't believe the sound he gets out of that thing!

With an SVT though, it's all in the eq. If you crank the bass knob, things are gonna get muddy.

3. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio!

Jul 3, 2001
    Chester, Connecticut
    Former Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Hah!! Anyone who plays bass and has never had a hernia just isn't manly enough to play the instrument! ;)

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    My amp weighs 75-80 pounds and it isnt THAT annoying to move, its just that it doesnt have any wheels and its awkward to carry so i always get someone to help me,

5. Only

Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    I go by the rule that all the gear I'm using at one time shouldn't outweigh me.

Since I only weigh 135 pounds, this keeps me from killing myself lugging around an 8x10.

Not to mention I've got messed up knees that prevent me from being able to "lift with the legs, not the back."

6. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    If its too heavy, put casters on it. I do that as first order of business with EVERY cabinet I buy. That, and I usually beg the assistance of another band member if there are stairs. I've yet to be turned down or grumbled to.

We'd all love to have speakers that only weigh 20 lbs, but until technology catches up to the dream, its to each his own. Lug an 8x10 or two 4x10's, or four 1x12's, its your choice . . . If your rack is too heavy, either get a "rolling rack" or break it down into two separate smaller racks. My guitarist has two 4 space racks, and nobody's ever given him flack about it.

And to the people getting their panties in a bunch about the "girlie-man" wording: lighten up. Its no big deal, and it wasn't a personal slam against anyone specifically. Its conversation . . . get over it.

7. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
  8. Exactly. Time to live in the now :D

I do use a 810e for shows btw.

9. I got my V-4 sckfor practice. My Bassman 135 & stack for home. My Mesa 400+ WITH p-1000 cab that's kept in the truck. All I have to carry are the basses. Yhe whole band shares in the load in/out. So I don't know if that's manly enough for this thread.:confused:

10. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

OK - so if I call somebody a "******" or some insult to do with their disability, that's just conversation and they should get over it - come on:rolleyes: !! An insult is an insult and name-calling and disrespect are banned by the forum rules!! :mad:

11. Yah damn right it is...

Ima lazy ass and proud damnit:cool:

12. Stephen S

Stephen S Member

Apr 10, 2002
    San Bernardino, CA
    The end of my sig was inspired by this thread, so this useless post has abosolutely no real thread serving purpose.:bassist:

13. thumbtrap

thumbtrap

Jun 26, 2003
    Bruce, just tell yourself it's American humor and realize it must be at least as funny as Dr Who is to you folks.

14. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

It's not funny in any way - it's just offensive!:mad:

15. thumbtrap

thumbtrap

Jun 26, 2003
    Replace Dr Who with Monty Python then.

16. jivetkr

jivetkr Supporting Member

May 15, 2002
    VT
    this thread is stupid.

For all you manly men out there, if you want to live in 1975 & carry a 165lbs cabinet to a show then by all means, go for it. I'll see you in physical therapy in a couple of years.

I would prefer to save my cash for an epifani ultralight or some other similar light cabinet.

17. jivetkr

jivetkr Supporting Member

May 15, 2002
    VT
    this thread is stupid.

For all you manly men out there, if you want to live in 1975 & carry a 165lbs cabinet to a show then by all means, go for it. I'll see you in physical therapy in a couple of years.

Call me girly if you want, but there is no way I am lugging a huge cabinet into NYC for a gig & then have to load it back into my 2nd floor apartment at 4AM.

I would prefer to save my cash for an epifani ultralight or some other similar light cabinet.

18. HAH! I was 12 only 4 years ago and I remember in our 3-floor grade school I was bouncing between doing stuff for the church's music dept.(hey, I'd play ANYWHERE) on the bottom level all the way up to the school's band room on the third floor to get bit***d at for nothing (music teacher was crazy). It wasn't a big deal, except for the 110lb Peavey combo I had to haul up the stairs by myself then go back down for the bass then cables and crap. The $100 for a hard bass case was the best $100 I ever spent! Before that, I had a Vox T-60 combo. It's only 40/50 lbs, but when you carry it home 1/2 mile from the bus stop every day for two weeks it gets kinda heavy! Point is, if you REALLY want to, you'll carry it and not whine, no matter how heavy. I had so much fun playing that it was worth the days of hauling stuff up and down flights of stairs by myself. I got a good workout then but all I can say now is thank God I'm in a one-floor high school now!

19. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    I went to a concert and everyone in the audience was wowwed by the fact that though the bassist had decent chops stayed in the pocket and had good tone he had personally carried his own gear from his home to the gig. During the concert they showed on a huge screen above the band actual footage of the bassist lugging his SVT cabinet down two flights of stairs and refusing help from people at the venue carried it up a flight and then up the stairs to the stage when the loading dock was stage left. This performance eclipsed the musical integrity of the group. The backup singers were incredible and very good looking. The horn section was tight. The band did not sell many CDs that night as the audience was more interested in a DVD of this feat of cartage.