Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

girls and more girls

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by §rokstär§, Mar 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. §rokstär§

§rokstär§

Dec 4, 2001
    Wisconsin
    hey ive got a question for the experts-
    i wrote a song, and if i play it by hitting a drumstick on the strings (lightly) it sounds really cool. it sounds like a slap, but you can do it on any string, and it is louder than a tap. im wondering if its bad for my bass to do this. and i just wrote girls for the subject to attract more attention;)
    thanks everyone

2. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    To answer your question, yes I like girls.:D

3. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    1) This doesn't belong in amps.
    2)You'd get more replies without a stupid title.
    3)Do a search something similar has been asked before
    4)You CAN slap on all the strings.

Newbies....:rolleyes:

4. Yeah, that basically covers it all.:D

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I think that the Harman Kardon is a better buy than the Onkyo.

6. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Its fine for your bass. I believe Tonly Levin is famouse for this technique. Dont take the others replies to heart, just pay a little bit more attention to what your doing.

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

What's the question? :confused:

8. ganttbos

ganttbos The Professor Supporting Member

Dec 18, 2001
    New Orleans area
    Hello Rokstar,
    Regarding some of the earlier replies to your post:
    Probably "Technique" is a more fitting forum for your question. There is also a great search feature that allows you access to past threads that address your issue. And even though there's a lot of joking and tongue-in-cheek stuff on TalkBass, there are some guys who, perhaps unintentionally, make it a little clique-ish. New posters must "run the gauntlet" before they're accepted into the inner circle. It's part of the fun and no one means any harm. I just thought I'd take the opportunity to say this because I'm an old fart (age 54, playing 35 years) and this aspect of TalkBass is one of my only criticisms of the forum. I shudder to think of the questions I would have been asking when I was 20. Basically this forum is a great bunch of people who are very knowledgeable and passionate about music in general and bass in particular, and they'll do anything to help you.
    Gantt

9. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    Off to Technique...

10. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    I would imagine you will have to be pretty careful. Maybe you should try to work on your tapping so that you can get this percussive sound with risking damaging yoru fretboard.

11. jcadmus

jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    Yes, I like ham.

12. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    I showed Tony Levin that drum stick trick and he made a career out of it. Go figure:( And my bass eventually grew a skin and wouldn't make a sound unless I was sitting on a drum throne. I think it really messed with the bass's head and it began to have severe identity problems. I wouldn't recomend it unless you are using a high end bass that is pretty secure and doesn't have any self esteem issues. The bass I did this to was just a entry level Peavy. It has been in my closet for over four years now, poor thing:eek: :D ;) I don't think it will ever be the same:cool:

13. I dont know, I really think that Lions are native to south Africa

14. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    Oh be nice, you're all so cruel.

rokstar, in future be more careful where you post questions like this. It is a valid question and the title kinda trivialises it a bit. Also people go by the title as to whether they bother to look at a thread so someone who knows all about tapping with drum sticks but is gay would go right past your thread :D. I'm sorry the majority of the previous replies were somewhat unhelpful. As is this one in answering your question... Never mind.

Also, welcome to talkbass. Be nice to people, help others if you can and they'll help you. Kinda like Buddhism...

So... hi.:)

15. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    somewhere in here lies your answer.

thread closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.