1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Girls rock camp

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Hanna Rose, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Hanna Rose

Hanna Rose

Mar 11, 2008
    Portland, OR
    Hello,
    My name is Hanna Rose and I am a double bass player. I want to start an upright bass program for girls with girls rock camp in portland OR. The only reason there isn't one is because there aren't a whole bunch of half size stand ups sitting around. Does anyone know anyone/ anywhere to get a few half size basses for real cheap? This may sound ridiculous but you can only hope...
    Thanks
    Hanna Rose
    jrrose@uwm.edu

check this out:
    http://www.girlsrockcamp.org

2. the intro animation on your site damn near gave me epilepsy, crashed my browser, and may have killed my dog :p

i do not, unfortunately, have an answer to your question.

3. Bighead Kid

Bighead Kid

Jun 2, 2007
    I've never done acid by my guess is that is what is feels like.

4. Eric Swanson

Eric Swanson

Oct 8, 2007
    Boston, MA
    Best I can offer is contact info with an old friend/fellow co-worker.

Now he is with the Paul Green School of Rock, of documentary fame (and upcoming singer/songwriter Maddy Diaz's and bassist Max Svalgard's Dad, too!).

He is Eric Svalgard:

svalgard@schoolofrock.com

Not a double bassist, but he's a Berklee-trained keyboardist, and a very cool cat, way into Zappa, with lots of knowledge/pals. May be able to help in some way with your venture's sourcing issue.

Dug the intro on your site!

5. Oh Jack Black what have you done??!!?

6. mothmonsterman

mothmonsterman

Feb 8, 2006
    No idea,
    Your site did however give my computer a kernel panic, congrats.
    ^not a joke^

7. Eric Swanson

Eric Swanson

Oct 8, 2007
    Boston, MA
    I mean the actual School of Rock in Philadelphia. Sort of a shame, IMHO, that Jack Black's Hollywood movie upstaged the documentary about the actual school. The documentary that came out at roughly the same time as Black's film.

If folks haven't seen it:

http://imdb.com/title/tt0436727/

http://www.netflix.com/Movie/Rock_School/70021125?lnkctr=srchrd-sr&strkid=236785181_0_0

IMHO, the real story is actually much better...the kids nail Zappa tunes! Pretty inspirational, in some ways.

Anyway, Eric Svalgard and his kids are the movie, too...

8. I know, you were clear about that. My post was stupid and unhelpful. Just saw that website and cringed... But to the OP, I think it's a great idea introducing DB in there, but I don't know how you could find a place for it if it's a strictly ROCK camp. At any rate, good luck. Hope you can get those basses.

9. Hanna Rose

Hanna Rose

Mar 11, 2008
    Portland, OR
    I think introducing DB's into a rock setting would be pretty cool. The Girl's rock camp isn't just a music program, it's a self esteem program to try and change what Brittany Spears has done to our culture. (As far as how girls view themselves and their capabilities) Thank you for your suggestions, and sorry if the website messed with your computers.

10. The double bass definitely has a place in rock, and not just pizzicato either. Just ask George Martin, the Beatles' arranger, whose string arrangements absolutely made songs like Strawberry Fields and I Am The Walrus.

But that was nearly half a century ago. The upright bass is finding a place in modern indie and psychedelic rock (and I don't mean "Phish" or any other jam bands when I say "psychedelic rock" - I mean true avant-garde rock groups like Grizzly Bear and Oneida.) Both make extensive use of the bowed bass. Joey Burns of Calexico plays upright both arco and pizz on the album "Fox Confessor Brings The Flood" by Neko Case, as does Tom Peloso on "Good News for People Who Love Bad News" from Modest Mouse. Nate Query of the Decemberists pulls out the upright all the time, usually with the bow.

11. Hanna Rose

Hanna Rose

Mar 11, 2008
    Portland, OR
    Exactly! Those are some of my favorite albums/bands!

12. envika

envika

Nov 27, 2007
    Bronx, NY
    The New Jersey school of rock kids opened for Bad Brains one time back in June...

they sure held their own too

13. robobass

robobass

Aug 1, 2005
    Cologne, Germany
    Private Inventor - Bass Capos
    So far, no one seems to be interested in helping Hanna with her search. I found what I saw on the website rather disturbing actually, but I can get behind the concept. There are lot's of student-sized instruments out there. I saw a half size Christopher at the Frankfurt Musik-Messe that seemed OK, but these are real student instruments, with very little sound. To get one amped up to where they can be heard properly with EGuitars and drums (or even mic'd acoustic guitar and voice through PA) is going to be a real challenge. Besides finding the instruments themselves, you're going to need to find an expert luthier who can set them up properly for the purpose, and install effective pickups. There should be someone in that area who is up to the task. Good luck!
    Robobass

14. Eric Swanson

Eric Swanson

Oct 8, 2007
    Boston, MA
    I was trying to help. Perhaps I need to be more explicit. One part of the deal if finding instruments and the setup issues you mention.

Other parts of the puzzle include funding and tax implications. Another larger piece is simply knowing folks connected/interested in this sort of venture in the non-profit music world.

My recommendation to contact Eric Svalgard is based on his significant experience with just this type of enterprise and the alternative, rock, educational network. My thinking is that by talking with someone who has been working this territory, Hannah's challenge will be lessened. I have also emailed Eric a link to this thread, notifying him of Hannah's search.

15. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    Why don't you contact some of the manufacturers (Christopher, Shen, Upton, etc.) and see if they would be interested in sponsoring you?