Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

girls who play bass or jazz?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by AZNBassist, Aug 21, 2005.

1. AZNBassist

AZNBassist

Jan 14, 2004
    Denton
    Well, while I was looking through my collection of CD's (mainly jazz, but occasionally some rock CD's), I realized something big, almost everyone on all of my CD's were male, except for the vocalist.

I know there are quite a lot of female musicians out there, but it seems to me that the only ones who know their instrument inside out are the ones that play keyboard/a horn/guitar/or classical music. In fact (well at least from what I've seen) almost all the girls who play jazz just do it for the sake of getting a grade. Same for bass, almost all the girls I see who play bass are almost always playing it just for the sake of being in a rock band and never for the sake of the love/dedication to the instrument. Plus, I've also almost never seen a female bassist who was capable of playing a walking bassline, or just laying down a fat groove with awesome feeling.

Let me get this straight, I am not being sexist here. Thats not the case at all, I'm just saying that I haven't really seen a female virtuoso bass players and I'm just wondering if its just me and where I live, or if that really is the case and that a female dedicated to playing bass is actually a rare thing.

And girls, what's your opinion/thoughts about this? Why do you think there are so few good female bassists or even girls who play jazz for the sake of it?

2. there's plenty of girls who play bass excellently, mostly jazz, latin and world music. So.....

3. Futurebass

Futurebass

Jun 22, 2005
    The best female jazz bassist I've seen is Kim Clarke. I saw her playing some kick ass electric bass with Joseph Bowie, but I think she also plays upright.

4. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    Mechell N'degeochello has a new jazz album out and its awesome. Features Matt Garrison also.

Lets see, female bass virtuosos':

Rhonda Smith-dude, you should REALLY get her solo stuff and she's an awesome upright player.

Divinity-she's from Victor Wootens camp, check out her website or listen to Victors live album.

Joyce "Fenderella" Irby-Old school band called Klymaxx, they still have a lot of material around.

Debra Killings-Has an album out AND a live video,Lots of studio work and she's a bonified six string player with some MEAN chops.

just a few ;) for now

5. AZNBassist

AZNBassist

Jan 14, 2004
    Denton
    whoa, any of those bassists have websites where I can hear their playing?

6. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    Actually, They ALL do. Rhonda can be found under her name as well as ll the others. :)

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Carol Kaye (great 60's session bassist)
    Amy from Clatter

8. MeShell used to play standards in her father's jazz group. I saw her live and she took some violent slap solos!
    I love the stuff Kim Clarke did with Defunkt.

9. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    howdedoody

10. Yep, another girl signing in here!

The only things SOME girls might struggle with, is the size of the bass. I've had a few comments from people saying "for a little thing like you, you play that bass really well". I'm never quite sure how to take that one, I mean, did they think that just cos I'm short (5'2") and I'm a woman did they think I wouldn't be able to play it well? Hopefully they mean well by that comment!

I must admit to having problems trying to tune the G string when I'm wearing my bass, it's a real stretch! Then the small fingers pose a bit of a problem - I can't span a whole 4 frets, it's just physically not possible. So, yes, there are girls out here who love bass, and are really passionate about playing it. Although it really is a mystery why more girls aren't playing bass. I mean, what's not to like about it? It's simply the most interesting, wonderful, amazing, cool etc etc instrument around! :smug: :bassist:

11. I love that Kim Clarke was mentioned not once but twice!! she's awesome!

another of my favorites is Alex Goodell, but I think the only recording floating around of her is a Bach or Mozart duet with Michael Manring from his Windham Hills days. she was such an original voice on the instrument. I've still got her demo from, like, '89 and it's killin'!

from the lows,

Stew

12. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!

13. Make that a 3 by 2 or similar - I play a 5 string! Anyway can't afford a new bass right now. Can you imagine explaining that to my husband "er, I NEED a new bass, cos I can't reach the headstock properly to tune mine :D " He's a bit sick of hearing my GAS list, so methinks I'd better just shut up and put up!

14. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    Good to see tha ladies chime in. MORE!!!!! :D

15. NikkiG

NikkiG Guest

Jun 16, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    ...bass & jazz?

:hyper: :bassist:

16. Audiophage

Audiophage

Jan 9, 2005
    That one Miles Davis concert DVD had a female percussionist, she was pretty good. I should watch that DVD again so I can remember what it was called.

There are some female rock bass players that are good as well, Melissa Auf Der Maur and Paz Lenchantin for example.

17. Yeah I definately see what you mean about women in music. I'll try my best not to sound sexist here, but no one get pissed at me...I'm a nice guy! Ok. I have an idea about this. Traditionally, when parents try to find some activities for children, boys tend to get pushed into sports while girls tend to get pushed more towards the arts. Now, these girls will play and play throughout their childhood, and when it comes time to grow up, it's not uncommon to see them push music aside as something they did when they were kids. For example, probably 95% of the girls I know have played an instrument at some point in their life, but probably 30% play something now, and probably 10% of those are any good/serious. Now boys tend to get pushed more towards sports, and usually acquire a passion for music on their own. I know there are a ton of exceptions here, but following this theory, if you chose to do something yourself, rather than having your parents chose for you, you are much more likely to be more dedicated and interested in what you are pursuing. It's a long shot, but maybe it has something to do with it.

Then again, there are a lot of people in the music industry who aren't musicians, eh?

18. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

I still don't think your a bassist. I just think you pose with bassists, show off pictures of yourself, and have a british accent just to control a horde of 14 year old male bassists. Not a very useful horde, but a horde none the less.

19. Jorge

Jorge

Jul 6, 2005
    jennifer york is a great female bassist

20. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

If we're talking about female Jazz bass players - two of the bass tutors at the Jazz Summerschool I attend are women :

Alison Rayner plays with Deirdre Catrwright who runs an all-female Jazz quartet - go here and click on a few of the icons at the bottom to get more info :

http://www.blowthefuse.com/site/main.asp

The other one is Paula Gardiner who writes some very nice tunes as well as playing and teaching Jazz in Cardiff/Wales, I have one of her albums - click here :

http://www.paulagardiner.co.uk/