Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Give it away-R.H.C.P.

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by kato_kaylin, Jan 28, 2003.

1. kato_kaylin

kato_kaylin

Jan 14, 2003
    Can anyone help me on how to play this? I am having trouble playing it correctly.

2. Janas

Janas

Nov 25, 2002
    England
    Start off with two upward slides on A string from about 5th to 17th string (can't quite remember), then for most of the song you just [play an upwards slide on A string towards 12th fret but just before you reach it "pop" the G-string:p and then back down to play; -0-3-0-3-0,(on A string)] try that out for most of song, then on first couple of choruses play on the E string -35--35- with the rythm.
    Finally there's a funny bit where you do similar thing to the bit i've put in square brackets but move the slide and the "0-3-0-3-0" down to the E string

Sorry if it's a bit confusing you've just gotta listen to the song to really understand what i'm on about
    Janas

3. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Are you looking for Tablature of this or just General Instruction? Janas has given you the outline of how to play it - do you need more?

Wulf

4. kato_kaylin

kato_kaylin

Jan 14, 2003
    i need a little of both because the tab that i looked up didnt make any sense.

5. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Was that the tab from the Talkbass tab archive? If so, I can see why you're confused. I'll have to see if I can do better when I get my hands on a bass...

Wulf

6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I'm going to advise you... along with anyone who wants help learning almost any song some advice... GET GUITAR PRO! THEN... go to My Song Book and get the "tabs" for guitar pro. It plays the tabs for you to help with timing and if it sounds wrong... don't learn it. I'd recommend looking into it.

7. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    From a bass playing point of view, it's a fairly simple song, based round one main riff. There are a couple of other sections and a couple of fills, but I'll just give you the main riff for starters:

G|------------12---------|
    D|------12-14------------|
    A|-0-rx----------rx3-r03-|
    E|-----------------------|

e ss s  s  e  sse sse
       1 &  2     &  3 & 4 & 

You'll see that I've put note lengths (e = eighth, s = sixteenth) at the bottom, as well as the count, so it should be easy to see the rhythms of the piece. On the stave I've used r to mean rest and x to mean 'ghost note' (indeterminate pitch, played with the string muted).

I haven't shown the articulation. You need to slide between the D and E (12 and 14 on the D string) and then slide down from the G (12 on the G string) while getting your hand in position for the last bit of the riff.

I would probably play it by hitting the D with my little finger, sliding up to E and then hitting the G with my first finger and sliding down. The note at the end (C) would be played with my first finger.

The ghost notes are very important - they make the bassline percussive and punchy; don't miss them out!

The riff actually lasts over two bars. The second bar starts the same as the first but you hold the high G a bit longer before sliding down, therefore missing the 'rx3' on the third beat but still coming in with 'r03' on the fourth beat.

Once you get that sorted out, see if you can figure out what changes when the line is played under the guitat solo. Your clues are that it starts with the open E string rather than the open A string and it's NOT exactly the same thing moved across one string.

Wulf