give me a reason for ibanez

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Notthatdalyguy, Apr 4, 2002.

1. i dont get it why do people keep buying ibanez basses. i could get a better sounding better fender for half the price that some of these guys are paying for there " oo special ibanez sound gear" i hate em. i guess thats just my opinion but really if you could give me some reasons why ibanez basses are good please let me know.
  2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Different strokes for different folks.
  3. BillyBishop

Feb 7, 2001

I don't like em because they are so small they feel like toys. But some people dig that.
  4. i just dont see the point in getting such a blah not good sounding bass for such a price but what ever man
  5. I got a used one cheap. It's light, which is easier on my back, and the thin neck is easy on my hands. It's a good beater bass for practice until I can scrape together enough money to buy something better. I'm looking at either a Sterling or MIA Jazz right now, but that could change, also depending on if/when my back starts feeling better.
  6. boobinga

Feb 9, 2001
    Pacific NW
    Well, uh, plastic is cool?
  7. just a suggestion at something to look at. Basses made out of Swamp Ash, Swamp Ash is so rediculously light, i think it'll be perfect for your situation. Spector uses them in his Bolt-on Americans or you could just have Dave Pushic make you a bass out of Swamp Ash for a low price as well. I'm sure there's other companies who use it too, those are just the first ones that i could come up with.
  8. Lighter, thinner necks, easier to handle than some basses.
    Why do people make entire threads to stubbornly bash Ibanez? :rolleyes:
  9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Because it's so easy?
  10. Im not a big fan of Ibanez's,,, they just don't fit me, but some people might really like them, it all depends on what you want, for you and me, they might not fit us, for others they may do well.

Im not a fan, although I know many people on the board are.

like big wheel said..

"different strokes for different folks"
  11. dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    kuz din u'd b kool

Just kidding. I have an Ibanez but I'm starting to dislike it (it was my first bass... I didn't really know what to look for). I guess they're good for some people, but I'd rather get a more solid, better sounding instrument.

12. xax712

Dec 25, 2001
    Northwest Arkansas
    When you don't like the wide necks for those of us who don't slap a lot and can't afford anything that's flat out amazing because we have to spend our money elsewhere... Ibanez's are great. The thing is that I think my Ibanez sounds and plays better than my Fender ever thought about. But you know maybe that's because it's features suite me better. Basicly that's why anybody likes anything. Because it fits them. I think that people saying they sound bad is rediculus, I gaurantee any bass can sound good, but only certain ones can sound great. They are all made different and for different styles and people, so sitting here and insulting Ibanez is really just closed minded and probably turning some new bassists off to the idea of even looking at them which could be a mistake. I think my Ibanez sounds great and it's perfect for me right now. If I run into a couple thousand dollars someday I might consider getting a new one but probably not, I'm sure I've got enough bills right now to keep my money tied up for a while.
  13. berserk

Aug 24, 2000
    Parma, Ohio
    I like them for their five string necks. I have short fingers and have a hard time with wider five string necks. Though I agree Ibanez quality just doesnt really exist. Now that I know better I am looking to get a Cort Artisan A5. Same specs on the neck and body size to an ibanez but comes with neck through construction and bartolini pickups. So basically my opinion on Ibanez: comfortable to play, sounds like crud.
  14. I have a 1973 Ibanez 2388 Rick Bass with real rick pick ups in it (done by one of the previous owners ) and this thing really plays great! I have compared it to a real Rick 4001 and my conclusions were that they look 99,9% the same and that the sound of my Ibanez is almost identical to the real Rick sound, so in my opinion Ibanez isn't that bad, they have made some great basses like the older Roadstar models or the Musician serie. I will probably never buy a new Ibanez/Soundgear unless the sound of those things start to improve, but I'd say yes to most of the old Ibanez basses anyday (well, almost anyday).
  15. embellisher

My Soundgear 6 is easily the worst sounding bass that I own.
  16. I have to agree with thebug
    I own a 1983 Ibanez Musician MC940 (fretless)
    and it is one of the finest basses I've ever owned. I personally think there is a big difference between early era Ibanez basses which featured good hardwoods, good electronics, neck thru, etc...
    and the mass produced over advertised "instruments" they currently produce. These newer "basses" seem very much like starter models, with the less experienced player in mind. While a more serious musician will opt for something more suited for their tastes. All of that with the exception of Gary Willis.

Best Wishes,
    DR Burkowitz
  17. embellisher

Actually, the BTBs are pretty good, and so are the ATKs.

The Soundgears do not even deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence with the Musician, except perhaps the 1200, 1400, 2000 and 3000 series. And of course the Gary Willis model.
  18. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Ibanez gets a frequent bashing because its most popular line (the Soundgears) are paradoxically the worst of their basses.

The ATK and BTBs aren't bad. But I thought Ibanez's old Roadstar and S-basses were terrific. Apparently Ibanez thought otherwise, and discontinued them.
  19. Thanks, I appreciate the info. Always good to get a direction to look in before spending a big chunk of money.

Anyway, back to your regularly scheduled thread...