Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Give me advice for modifying my bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Nilmar, Mar 16, 2004.

1. Nilmar

Nilmar

Mar 16, 2004
    Hi guys, I have a Fender Squier Affinity P- Bass Guitar. The sound it produce sucks and I would like to change its pickups to Seymour Duncan® Basslines SPB-3 Quarter Pound Split-Coil Precision Bass Pickup. Is this pickup good?

Also, i am using the Super 7250ML strings and i would like to change it to Super Bass 8250M NPS ( mark hoppus use this ). Is it possible for me to change as my bass bridge is Standard 4-Saddle while Mark Hoppus is "Standard Series Parts on American Series Bridge Plate (String-thru-body Configuration) "?

Is different strings use for different types of Bridge.

Guys out there please advice me... I need help... Thanks alot :bassist:

2. jim primate

jim primate bass guitarist.

yeah, that's a good pickup. it's the one hoppus uses in his basses, as well as steve harris if i'm not mistaken.

the string change won't do nothing. i think you're moving up to a heavier guage, so you may need a trussrod tweak.

and no, strings are pretty much universal except in scale length.

and if you got money leftover i highly reccommend a leo quan badass II bass bridge. it's about $50, you can probably find one here, or on ebay for less.

3. jim primate

jim primate bass guitarist.

oh, you may also wanna change the pots in your bass too.

4. Nilmar

Nilmar

Mar 16, 2004
    Why do i need a trussrod tweak? whats is that anyway? and u also say that i need to change the pots in my bass? what's tat and why do i need to change? i am a real beginner and i need you advice.

thanks a lot

5. Nilmar

Nilmar

Mar 16, 2004
    Is the truss rod a must? what will happen to my bass if i change the new strings but no truss rod? please advice
    thanks a lot

6. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    The truss rod is there, inbedded in the neck. You will find a nut at the tuner head or by the neck end in the body.

When you change strings, you change the amount of pull force the strings put on the neck. That change leads to a change of the bow of the neck. Lighter strings=less pull= less bow=release truss rod. Heavier strings=more pull=more bow=tighten truss rod.

This way, you can control the bow of the neck, we call it relief. Which is a major factor on playability, feel, and intonation on the lower notes.

Change strings: change truss rod.
    Change in weather: change truss rod (more humid=less bow)
    But do it carefully! And search "Setup" forum for instructions.

BTW, I think you need to change all your signal chain to benefit from new pickups. Volume and tone controls, incl capasitor, and jack. All these are quite...bad, on non-japanese Squiers.

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Given how much all these things (mentioned above) are going to cost - wouldn't it be much easier and possibly cheaper, just to buy a new bass!!?? ;)

8. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    The quarter pounders are excellent pickups. I used them to beef up my cheap Yamaha. I would leave the bridge alone, you will not notice a difference. I would also stay with the current strings for now and try a different set when they wear out.

9. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Those QP Ps are super hot. Watch your speaker cone! You'll most definitely have to make some adjustments to your eq on your amp.

10. Nilmar

Nilmar

Mar 16, 2004
    If i change my pickups to Seymour Duncan quarter pounder ( the one mark hoppus of blink 182 use ), will i sound like mark hoppus. I am asking this because his bass hass jazz bass body, while my is a p-bass body?

Will the body of bass influence their sound??? please advice

thank you

11. Nilmar

Nilmar

Mar 16, 2004
    Must i definitely install the truss rod? IF i do not install it, will there be any damage to my bass? or there will be difference in tone and sound? Can people explain to me what truss rod is for in a newbie way.... cos sorri i really dun understand. please advice

thank you

12. The trus rod is already installed inside the neck of your bass. When you turn it one way, it makes the neck kind of bow. When you turn it the other way, it makes the neck straighter. Depending on how low you want your action (distance of strings from frets) and what gauge of strings you are using, you adjust it accordingly. Do a search in this forum, http://www.talkbass.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18 for a run-down on how to do a setup and what it is all about. You should also be able to find good links to other sites in some of the threads.

And honestly, as far as the upgrade, I'm with Bruce on it. This will be a bit costly and it is a pretty low-end bass, so why not just upgrade to a better one? If you don't have that much money maybe a better low-end bass (like SX for example). Just a thought ;)

Peace,
    Tyler

13. dabshire

dabshire

Dec 15, 2002
    McKinney, TX
    He said what I was going to say.....

:)

I've found that unless you start with a decent bass, mods usually don't help a whole lot....

14. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    The set of strings you mentioned is intended for a string through body bridge. The squire you have is a string through bridge. The 7250s are exactly like the 8250's, except the 8250s have the taperwinding intended for a different kind of bridge. I would stick with what you have for strings, as it is not worth the trouble to drill for a string through body bridge.
    As for the sound, the body shape makes no difference in the sound. If you really want to get his sound, disconnect the tone pot on your instrument. Mark does not have a tone knob on his instrument, only a volume.
    If you change the pickup to a quarter pounder and disconnect the tone knob, you should be about as close to his tone as you can get without buying the mark Hoppus bass (which would have slightly improved components all around and a string through body bridge). Beyond the pickup and tone pot the rest is simply up to how well you can imitate his technique(picking style, fretting, etc.) to get his "sound".

15. Subculture13

Subculture13 Jamming Econo

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    The best advice I can offer to improve that bass involves a tablesaw.

16. Nilmar

Nilmar

Mar 16, 2004
    Can u tell me how to remove the tone knob?

17. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    You guys deserve a major plus for patience.

18. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Oh, the tone knobs. Some have a small set screw in them that have to be loosened up (sometimes allen, usually standard screwdriver). Your's probably doesn't - but make sure. Otherwise they basically have to be pulled off. Slightly wiggling them back and forth with a moderate pull will usually work. Sometimes it's necessary to do so while prying underneath with something like a thin blade standard screwdriver (put an envelope or something between the bass and the screwdrive). Sometimes they have to be pried off. Occassionally the pot shaft comes with the knob. That happened on my first bass. When I take the press on knobs off (which practically all but vintage have), they stay off till I go to sell the bass. I have a drawer of them. EMG makes the only knobs I actually like. To me they not only feel great, they also have allen set screws. Somebody at EMG had a brain.

19. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    The answers to all your questions can be found by following the proceeding instructions:

click me.

20. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Does anyone else forsee a Tim Allen-esque accident with electricity and a visit to the hospital filled with a tough-but-caring nurse, all neatly packaged and filled with comic relief from three wise-cracking boys?