Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

give me advice!!!!!!!(please)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by loismustdie, Jun 4, 2004.

1. loismustdie

loismustdie

Jun 4, 2004
    i'm going to be playing bass in my band, and need an amp with enough power to play shows, they will prolly be small shows, so i'm thinkin maybe 60-100 watts(maybe). my friend just bought a berhinger 12 inch 60 watt amp, how are these, he said taht he paid 150$ for it new with a warranty, was this a good deal? what are some other good companies for the money, around 150$ and under......

i've been looking on ebay, and found some cabinets, how is "eminence" i can get 2 10's that can handle 400 watts rms for 150$, is this a good deal, what would be a good amp head to go with this?

P.S. i don't want to spend alot of money, in fact i want to spend as little as possible, we're talkin slim pickins...

2. Just how slim are your pickens? :) How much have you got to spend?

3. loismustdie

loismustdie

Jun 4, 2004
    well, maybe around 150-200$, i probly won't be able to afford separate cabinate and an amp head for that price.

4. If you are going to play with a band live, I would recommend more power than 60-100 watts, especially if the bass is not going through a PA system and also if your drummer plays even moderately loud. 100 Watts is not a lot of power for bass--I would recommend more like 300+ watts. I have played a quiet jazz gig with a 50 watt combo amp and felt underpowered most of the time even though the drummer was using brushes and the piano and sax were not amplified at all.

Tell us more about the situation-- will there be a PA system?
    If there is a PA, what instruments will be in the PA mix?
    Will the bass be going through the PA?
    Is your drummer loud?
    Is your guitarist loud?
    What kind of music?

5. loismustdie

loismustdie

Jun 4, 2004
    there will be a PA system, we're going to mic our dummers double bass, and i'd assume the bass and lead guitar would also be "pa'd", our drummer is very very loud, and our guitarist is also very very loud, our music is alittle strange, not really a genre: we have a couple death metal songs, some hardcore punk and possibly some ska(which will involve alot of bass...

6. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    I would say for death metal you need at a minimum 700+ watts. I would even think closer to 1K. Your going to need to at least $700 to get a decent rig in order to hear yourself on stage. Regardless of a you running your bass through the PA, there is no way you are going to be able to hear yourself on stage next to an extra loud drummer and guitar player with a Behringer 100 watt combo. :rollno:

7. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Yep, what he said.

The only way you're going to be able to hear yourself with 100 watts is if you completely sacrifice your tone for volume. You'll have to cut your lows almost completely and crank that little amp 'til it begs for mercy. You also need to get it pointed at your ears and as close to you as possible. Either set it on some type of stand or tilt it back so it's not firing away at your ankles. It'll sound like hell to you and the band, but it should be OK out front if the soundman and PA are decent.

8. loismustdie

loismustdie

Jun 4, 2004
    i'm probly not going to be playing much on the death metal songs, i might have a solo or somethin here and there, but most of the death metal that i listen to, i can't hear a bass to save my life, unless its on a solo, which is rare.

one concert that i went to, the bassist had a hartke setup, and it couldn't have been more than 100-120 watts, and you could hear him fine, that music was somewhat softer than ours, but i couldn't imagine that 200 watts wouldn't be enough, maybe i just need to go to sam ash one of these days.

(probly crappy, but cheap)
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=23794&item=3728251660&rd=1

and then i could prolly find an amp head that puts out 200-300 watts at 8 ohms for under 200(hopefully). how about that?

9. Emprov

Emprov

Mar 19, 2003
    Definitley crappy. Particle board construction, gotta love that. Do yourself a favor and save up a little more cash. Trust me, you *do not* want to entrust your tone to that.
    You're on a pretty tight buget so it may be good to forget about the 8ohm thing and just go for a 4ohm cab. That'd provide you with maxium volume right now. Besides, you're gonna spend more than you have to get something that'll put out that much power at 8ohm.

10. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
  11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    This man speaks the truth.

12. Ok, I wouldn’t buy a combo of ebay, simply because I’ve had, and know others who have had, bad experiences. You can spend far too much time crawling around in speakers trying to fix things and this becomes a huge problem if it goes wrong on stage. If your only starting as a band why not ask other bands on the night if you can borrow there rig, it may seem cheeky but I’ve found most people are always willing to help. That way you can save and get something with a bit more grunt.
    As for power, I use an Ashdown MAG 300w combo and its plenty big enough especialy if you invest in a 1 x 15 cab to go ontop at a later date (you can get them at bargain prices now). I think it works out that you should have about 3 times what your guitarist has to be heard. However the biggest venue I ever played was a reasonable sized theatre and I used a 180 W Laney through a PA and it was fine.

13. Sidecar666

Sidecar666

Mar 27, 2004
    Just from experience...I have yet to come across a combo amp that could hold up in any live situation in anything but softly played music (jazz, lighter rock, R&B etc.). If you are playing metal/punk/ska with a decent drummer and a guitar halfstack, you need alot of wattage and a cab that can handle it. I've toured across the country many times and played many rooms (theaters to basements) and I wouldn't count on getting PA support all the time. In fact, most of the time, just the singer gets put in the PA in smaller clubs and in larger clubs your lucky if the sound guy puts you into the monitor mix (even if you ask him to). If you want to be able to hear yourself over the drums, get the loudest thing you can afford. I hate to tell you this, but it ain't gonna be cheap! If you get a smaller combo amp...you're more likely to turn it way up to hear it and then your in risk of blowing it up. Best of luck with the shopping!

14. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Maybe cheap crap, but those speakers sound pretty good for the price and if its between waiting for the perfect deal and getting out and playing, buy the crap and plan to upgrade. The audience don't care about the quality as long as they can jam. I used one last night along with a Acme Low B2. Raised the roof!

15. Bet you haven't tried a Peavey Databass then! They made 'em about 10 years ago, 450 watts into a 15" Black Widow. No problems being heard, against even a very loud hitting drummer.

Like all Peavey combos, though, heavy at 95 lbs. And since this is a relatively small cab, they sacrificed some low end response in exchange for more mid punch, which may or may not be to your liking.

And since I'm an old fart, I remember the "good old days" when a tuck and roll Kustom was the envy of many....gee, it puts out 130 watts or so into a 2x15 cab....so today it's hard to fathom statements like "700 watts is the minimum that one would need to be heard"....But again, I'm an old fart :D