Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Give me some advice

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Holy_Grail, Sep 1, 2004.

1. Holy_Grail

Holy_Grail Guest

Aug 12, 2004
    As i said from my previous thread, i want to change my pickups for jazz bass. I am wondering the difference between 1/4 pounder jazz and SJB-2 Hot.

I want a really punchy, meaty, p-bass sound. Should i put the sjb-2 hot in the bridge and 1/4 pounder in the neck or otherwise?

What is the difference between a pickup placed in the bridge and one place in the neck?

I need lots of advice, please help!!!

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    if you go the basslines.com web site you'll find descriptions as well as tone charts showing the different levels of mid/bass/treble coming from the pickup.

A pickup placed in the bridge usually has more windings to bring it's output level in line with the neck pickup - the neck pickup has more string vibration over it.

3. Holy_Grail

Holy_Grail Guest

Aug 12, 2004
    yah, i've already visited the basslines.com but i am still unsure about which one to buy

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I think you'll get more what you're looking for with the QP's

5. Holy_Grail

Holy_Grail Guest

Aug 12, 2004
    Can i put two different type of pickups in the jazz bass? I am thinking of placing SPB2 hot in the bridge and SP3 1/4 pounder in the neck. Will this combination make my bass sound meaty, punchy (the p-bass sound) ?

Please advice !!!!!!!!! Thanks

6. Fill-In

Fill-In

Jul 24, 2004
    It's my opinion that you can put two different model pickups in the bass like you're wanting to do. My suggestion (if you're feeling experimental) is to buy a set of each, use the neck pickup of one with the bridge pickup of the other set. Then, switch them out: neck pickup of the other set with the bridge pickup of the one. Next, decide which was the sound you were looking for. Furthermore, do yourself a favor and try each set as itself to give yourself something to compare all the sounds. Finally, let us know what you came up with!