1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Give me some advice

Discussion in 'G&L Bass Forum' started by tramp, Mar 15, 2009.

1. tramp

tramp

Mar 5, 2004
    South Louisiana
    I have an '87 SB 1. About 18 years ago, I took the origional pickups off and put some active emgs on it. I am thinking about putting the origional pickups back on. I like the punchyness of the emgs and I don't remember what the origional pickups sounded like. Any suggestions would be appreciated.:meh:

2. ljazz

ljazz

Dec 10, 2002
    Cookeville, TN
    My '87 SB1 is quite versatile.... vol and tone cranked, it's very grindy/punchy. As you roll back the vol and tone, you start to get a more traditional pbass tone. I used to contemplate putting an EMG in mine (about 21 years ago), but then I discovered how much the tone changed as you rolled off a bit of volume...... I haven't been able to put it down since. Another thing I've noticed is that it's mellowed as the years have gone by...... very sweet indeed.

Ljazz

3. lmfreeman9

lmfreeman9 Supporting Member

Sep 1, 2007
    Arizona
    I recently traded my '86 SB-1, partly due to the fact that the original MFD pickups had been replaced. (Not with EMG's) I have split coil pickups in a Peavey P bass and I have G&L MFD's on a Fender P. They are both good, but I like the MFDs better.