1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Give me some good diet/exercise ideas.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Trevorus, Mar 27, 2006.

1. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Right now I don't really have money to go to the gym. But I need to find a way to reduce my caloric intake, and start burning some more calories as well. I also need some ways to keep working out from getting boring. That tends to happen, and I lose interest.

2. Diego

Diego

Dec 9, 2005
    San Francisco, CA
    I would seriuosly recommend a balanced diet (I can give you some tips if you want). This can also help you out by reducing the amount of time of workout. Also, I really think that hard cardio work plus balanced diet is better that regular diet and fat burning workout. Hope this helps!

3. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Yeah, definitely give me some tips and such. I need to find things to buy to make myself to eat. I also need to quit going to McD's.

4. catch the flu

5. duo8675309

duo8675309

Jun 5, 2005
    How old are you? You can always play soccer. If you play ACTUAL soccer instead of goof off with your friends and a ball you won't need to go on a diet. :smug:

6. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    YEah, that doesn't sound like that much fun. I really don't lost that much weight when I'm sick.

7. duo8675309

duo8675309

Jun 5, 2005
    You might need to go see a doctor. Your sarcasm radar is a little out of tune (man that was corny... :bag:)

8. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I hear you there. I'd be buying my doctor a new benz, too!

9. duo8675309

duo8675309

Jun 5, 2005
    A broken leg never hurt anyone. Pansy. ;)

10. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Actually, I did have a broken arm once, and it really didn't hurt all that much.

Anyways, anyone got any real ideas? I want to replace the fat in my body with muscle, not necessarily lose wieght.

11. lbpark

lbpark Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    AL
    Wow...your bday is one day after mine. Awesome.

Ok, back on topic. I've been dieting and exercising for about a month now. Diet-wise, a eat a small bowl of Total in the morning with a packet of splenda to make it tolerable, usually a can of tomato soup with some herbs (once again, to make it tolerable) for lunch, and usually a pan-seared or steamed chicken breast with 2 types of veggies for dinner. I try to stay away from carbs, but I'm not going into overkill. I'll usually have a piece of cornbread or something similar. I totally stay away from all forms of white processed sugar. I also stay away from grease and fat as much as possible. With that in mind, yeah, the McD's needs to stop. If you're serious about dieting, you need to make it a permanent part of your schedule/life.

Exercise...simple as running for me. I run 5 days a week and I've made some decent progress. I've never been in shape a day in my life, but I'm sticking with the running and it's starting to pay off. You need to run a minimum of 20 minutes in order to get any sort of cardio workout. As for avoiding boredom, I run with an ipod shuffle and change my location each time. At the moment, I'm not really concerned with how far I run, just as long as I run around 40 minutes.

With all that said, I've been doing this about a month and I feel much better. I haven't checked a scale but I'm going to at the end of the weekend. Good luck with it.

12. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    thanks for the advice lbpark. That is some good stuff. Anything more substantial for lunch type meals? I end up eating out a lot, due to my job, and I need some ideas for that. And, I am super addicted to soda.

BTW, I got a huge propane grill for christmas from my job, and I will be grilling a lot. It has a side burner, and I can cook some veggies and make my meat on the inside. Lean beef is good stuff! I also tend to eat tilapia, salmon, and chicken, too.

13. duo8675309

duo8675309

Jun 5, 2005
    Well ok, I'm not very good at this stuff, so I'll tell you what I've heard.

Hmmm eating... Like the guy said, a balanced diet. I guess the best way to know how to manage calories is to know how they work. Calories are energy. Period. Unused calories turn into fat. Your body needs a certain amount of calories each day, and if you go over that limit, you'll gain weight. If you go under, you'll lose weight. However, if you go too far under, your body recognizes this and lowers the amount of energy it uses, which lowers the amount of calories you'll need, which will probably make you eat more calories than your body will now need, which will make you gain fat. In short, don't miss a meal. That's the worst way to lose weight.

And excersize. Well, target the parts of your body that you want to lose weight at (or in your case gain muscle). You want big arms? Do push-ups. Also, buy some weights and use them to do curls and lateral lifts (lifting away from your body to work on your triceps). I'm not good on what the excersize names are. Also, do sit-ups for your abs. And for your legs, just run and do squats. Hope that helps!

14. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Also, I guess I need to get more gigs. It'll help with muscle building, because my bass cabs are HEAVY!

15. duo8675309

duo8675309

Jun 5, 2005
    Can you lick your elbow? Cause thats way cooler than muscles, and if your muscles are too big then you cant lick it. If you dont' know then make sure, cause if you can then don't get big arms!

16. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Push-ups, pull-ups, lunges, and sit-ups can all be performed without the cost of joining a gym.

-Mike

17. lbpark

lbpark Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    AL

Hm, lunch....well, the soup thing doesn't always happen. I often have food left over from dinner that I heat up and take with me for lunch if I can't go back home. You're not doing your body much good by eating fast food, so I found a good way to handle the lunch thing is to spend a night making food for the next few days and putting it in labeled compartments. This doesn't always work out because my schedule is all over the place, but it's usually pretty effective. If all else fails for lunch, I just skip it. I'd rather have nothing than eat at McD's.

Grilling is a great idea. As long as you don't drown your meat and veggies in some sort of fatty sauce before you eat, grilling is a good way to cook meat and veggies without using fatty cooking oils. I usually go to the foodtv website if I have any concerns on how long to grill certain veggies.

Now for my lecture....soda is a BIG no no. That has to stop immediately, moreso than the fast food. Soda is loaded with sugar and lord knows what else. People will tell you to drink water all the time, but that doesn't exactly help my sweet tooth. What does help is a drink that doesn't have any sugar but still tastes great. I have an empty arizona tea jug that I refill with a powder/water mix that tastes great and has 0 sugar. There are tons of brands of sugar-free drink brands out there, go check them out.

18. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    Balanced diet + excercise and protein. Don't completely cut carbs or protein from your diet like many of the "fad diets" reccommend. You muscles will atrophy if you stop eating protein, and your brain needs carbs to function correctly.

19. AspiringBassMan

AspiringBassMan

Dec 10, 2005
    UK
    best way to diet is:

-to drink lots of water (its true. reasons are here),

-to avoid carbonated drinks(these are THEE WORST for piling on the pounds)

-to eat lots of low calorie stuff. this has the effect of increasing your metabolism because your body thinks its eating a lot. people often make the silly mistake of lowering their food intake, but this has the effect of increasing weight gain because the metabolism slows down in accordance with the lower intake of food.

-a balanced diet

-to start worrying about everything.

20. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Whatever you do, don't try starving yourself to lose weight.

You should actually eat quite a bit...but it's what you eat that matters...that and excercise.

When you try to eat less, your body goes into "self-preservation" mode. The less you eat, the more your body attempts to produce more fat as a reserve to make up for what you aren't putting into it.

Cut out fat...especially hydrogenated fat. Also STOP eating anything with sugar (refined or otherwise...and that includes most fruit juices, etc.). Eliminate as much pre-packaged food as possible, because preservatives and artificial food coloring will wreak havoc with your metabolism.

Want to lose weight and eat healthy? Eat as much "fresh", raw food as possible. More raw fruits, veggies and LOTS of water...eight 8 oz. glasses a day. Then cut out as much pre-packaged food as possible. Better yet, eliminate pre-packaged foods altogether. Your body actually burns calories processing fresh foods. Pre-packaged foods laced with preservatives and artificial food coloring will almost guarantee most of what you eat will just go through you...your body won't absorb the nutrients...thus all you get are empty calories...which will just turn into fat.

Despite what the bogus food labels say, pre-packaged food is THE single biggest reason for our population being overweight and unhealthy.

That, and a lack of excercize. The more muscle mass you have, the more calories your body will burn...even at rest. You don't have to be a body builder. Even walking a mile every day will do wonders.