Give me some ideas for my ideal bass...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by junglebike, Nov 26, 2004.

1. junglebike

junglebike Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    Here's what I like:

-$600-$800 used
    -5 string
    -fairly narrow string spacing
    -fairly slim neck
    -vintage j-bass tone
    -active punch
    -from Funk to Latin to blues to rock

So far the closest I've found was a Pedulla J2 rapture. I love Pedullas, but they're just a touch out of my price range, and a bit *too* modern sounding. I love old jazz basses, but I find I can get around much faster on narrower string spacing. I never slap (unless provoked)

What do *you* think I should be looking for?
  2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Maybe put some flatwounds on the pedulla? You dont slap, so thatd be fine, and they can really vintage-a-size a tone.
  3. BassikLee

BassikLee Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Owner: Brevard Sound Systems
    I have a '92 Fender Jazz Plus 5, with the Lace pickups and the Fender/Kubiki pre. While the lace pickups don't get into uber-vintage, they also don't suck. You can turn the pre off and run passive, or active, or active with a mid boost. Fairly narrow spacing, much moreso than the current Fender 5s. These tend to sell in the $500 and under range. Mine isn't for sale, just an example.

Harmony Central reviews, fwiw:
  4. junglebike

junglebike Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    Interesting ideas... Also been looking a bit at the upper end Peavey stuff, or even a used Carvin LB75 (maybe with a set of Barts). Any others?
  5. alder body + bolt on maple neck + single coil PUPs are the basic ingredients for good jazz tone. You want passive pups, even if you have an active pre.

It's too bad the Marcus Miller 5 hasn't been out long enough to grab used. I have heard the 4 and it is a very powerful bass indeed- and that before even hitting the active circuit. I am trying to order that chrome cover for my bass.

I would also look into some G&L L-2500s, the swiss army knife of basses.
  6. Try an American Deluxe Precision, I'm pretty sure it would fit your needs. Great bass.