Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Give me some ideas for my ideal bass...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by junglebike, Nov 26, 2004.

1. junglebike

junglebike Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    Here's what I like:

-$600-$800 used
    -5 string
    -fairly narrow string spacing
    -fairly slim neck
    -vintage j-bass tone
    -active punch
    -from Funk to Latin to blues to rock

So far the closest I've found was a Pedulla J2 rapture. I love Pedullas, but they're just a touch out of my price range, and a bit *too* modern sounding. I love old jazz basses, but I find I can get around much faster on narrower string spacing. I never slap (unless provoked)

What do *you* think I should be looking for?

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Maybe put some flatwounds on the pedulla? You dont slap, so thatd be fine, and they can really vintage-a-size a tone.

3. BassikLee

BassikLee Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Owner: Brevard Sound Systems
    I have a '92 Fender Jazz Plus 5, with the Lace pickups and the Fender/Kubiki pre. While the lace pickups don't get into uber-vintage, they also don't suck. You can turn the pre off and run passive, or active, or active with a mid boost. Fairly narrow spacing, much moreso than the current Fender 5s. These tend to sell in the $500 and under range. Mine isn't for sale, just an example.

Harmony Central reviews, fwiw:

http://www.harmony-central.com/Bass/Data4/Fender/Jazz-Bass-Plus-V-01.html

4. junglebike

junglebike Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    Interesting ideas... Also been looking a bit at the upper end Peavey stuff, or even a used Carvin LB75 (maybe with a set of Barts). Any others?

5. alder body + bolt on maple neck + single coil PUPs are the basic ingredients for good jazz tone. You want passive pups, even if you have an active pre.

It's too bad the Marcus Miller 5 hasn't been out long enough to grab used. I have heard the 4 and it is a very powerful bass indeed- and that before even hitting the active circuit. I am trying to order that chrome cover for my bass.

http://www.fender.com/products/show.php?partno=0197802

I would also look into some G&L L-2500s, the swiss army knife of basses.

6. Try an American Deluxe Precision, I'm pretty sure it would fit your needs. Great bass.