Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

give me some suggestions for a good amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by wolfmasq, Oct 14, 2003.

1. wolfmasq

wolfmasq

Oct 14, 2003
    i could use some help on buying an amp i need one for my band... under $500 please

2. hey u know if u want info on what type of amp u want u have to include music style and size of crown u wil be playin for

3. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    and if by 'amp' do you mean a power amp?, integrated amp 'head'?, or do you mean a combo with preaamp, amp and speakers all in one box?

4. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    I say go to Guitar Center and try everything out that you can man...

5. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Hey, you know that if you would like info on what would be best for you, you should include your type of band, and the size of the venues you will be playing.

There you go, the crazy way the rest of us type, is easier to read.

6. Geeze, guys, he just joined today or (night where ever you are) so lets give him a break.

Welcome to TB.

[​IMG]
    Treena

7. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    a little OT, but what is it with all these kids with out their punctuation??

Things Like...

hey u no wat would be best for me i think a gr8 bass is a ________ wat do you think.

I see people just ramble on, and it is just kinda wierd...

Sorry, i don't mean to be rude or anything, i was just wondering.

But if you are looking for a new amp, Look used! i've scored many a good deal with going used. I got a $900 ampeg head for 350, a $550 hartke cab for 200, and a Peavey cab in trade. I traded the hartke and the Peavey for an Ampeg SVT 1540HE. I kind of laugh to myself when i see these kids with their Fender Bassman 2x10 combos that cost $1000... I'm like... "Wow, i got way more amp than you and way better thump and tone for about half of what you paid."

8. notanaggie

notanaggie Guest

Sep 30, 2003
    it's like, literary to ramble on... if you do it well enough you will be famous but not rich......the real deal is to get your paragraphs to be about a half page long and contain several thoughts, sentences can go the distance too, but eventually you have to get out of jail one way or another and if you don't and are just buried there soaking the dirt of the yard with the accumulated debris of your existence then you got out that way and whats the difference anyway because the jail expands to encompass all that you can see even if you think you are outside how do you know which side of the wall u are on, the guards might be keeping you in or out and you have to see which way they are looking to see if you are really cracking out or in or maybe just up.

I agree you ought to be looking for a combo....small Ampeg, Peavey, Fender, etc, I don't think you are going to get far for $500 AND get something half-decent outside of a combo from a bigger brand.

Just go to the local store (Guitar center if you have to) and try some out.

Guitar center tends to be less helpful than other places. That can be cool if you know what's up and don't need to be stood over, not so cool if you have questions.......

9. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    :oops: I think there should be a rule on this board that if you post to mock/criticize someones lack of proper typing, spelling or word usage that you should also be required to answer or comment on something related to the thread itself. :rolleyes:

Anyhow I agree that you should go to Guitar Center and try out everything you can afford. With $500 youll probably get the most for your money with a combo amp but that may or may not suit your needs. If you buy from GC though know that you can ALWAYS get what you want for less than their tag says! Good luck... :bassist:

10. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    For $500 you may need to go used in order to get what you are looking for. I see the GKRBIII400 starting for just under that. That's not enough power. Goto GC try a bunch out see what you like then look into things like Ebay, pawn shops stuff like that. I like Eden, or most tube heads. Welcome to TB, keep asking you will find the answers here, I did!