Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

give me the order

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by punk_as_xxxx, Mar 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. punk_as_xxxx

punk_as_xxxx Member

Mar 2, 2002
    england manchester
    i was goin through the tabs 4 NoFX and i came across the tab 4 Kill Rock Stars and it seemed very easy 2 play and i was really happy cause...well i suck @ bass and easy songs r welcomed. but i had a problem. there was no order 2 the song. it didnt say that this rift is played x3 or anythin. so now im faced with and easy tab but have no idea wat order it goes in!!!!!!!!!!!! sum plz help. i need 2 learn this damn easy song!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Here's what you can do. With the tab in front of you, listen to the song dozens and dozens of times until you are absolutely sure of the structure of the song...make a "roadmap" of sorts. Intro, chorus, verse, solos, bridges, outros, typical riffs.etc. Maybe you can name the typical riffs, riff#!, riff#2.

Be able to sing the entire song without having the music on. Then you are confident you know the song.

Look at the tab and play on your bass what is shown. Try to identify the riffs you know in the song from what is in the tab. Mark the tab with a pen and see if you can put it in order. Maybe give each section a letter name. Verse 1=Letter A. Solo#1 =Letter C, etc. Organize the entire song that way.

You can even cut and paste the tab to put it in the order of the song once you have figured out what goes where. By the time you have done all that, you will probably already know how to play that "easy" song.

One thing you have already learned is that Internet tabs are pretty much useless and unreliable. Tabs found in magazines and sheet music are more thorough, more authentic, easier to understand and are accompanied by standard notation just above, so that you can understand the tempo, the chord progression, the song structure and the timing of the notes.

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

TaBz are EVIL, mmkay?;)

Also, I recommend you change your username. It's in violation of our posting guidelines.

4. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND

Yes, I would seriously recommend rethinking your name.

:rolleyes:

5. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    ...and attitude.

6. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    love the username, man :) don't listen to the crusties, you aren't violating anything, and your 'tude is fine - just young and musically immature, which isn't a crime. use your tab, grow, absorb, discard, emit pungent odours, move on to bigger and better things.

DROP LISA'S PANTIES laid out a very nice strategy for nailing the song in question, i thought. good stuff.

7. punk_as_xxxx

punk_as_xxxx Member

Mar 2, 2002
    england manchester
    damn u all part from that 1 that sed summit gud.

i just asked 4 ur help and i get called 4 just bout everythin u bunch of nerds cud come up with.

sorry but im damn :mad: now!!!!!

8. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Gee, are you sensitive. Other forums are much harder on their newbies.

Your nick is ok by me, but dropping that "l33t" writing style might be a good idea.

Boplicity gave good advice. Take it from there.

Another good idea is slowing the song down with e.g. Musician's CDPlayer and transcribing it yourself.
    Most tabs are wrong and it's a really good learning experience.

9. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

And we're all terribly, terribly frightened as a result. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

10. Its amazing how learned people are so quick to criticise those who are learning.

11. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    It's amazing how people think their opinion is the only one that matters...........

Chris A.:rolleyes:

12. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    And you can add me to the list of people that would like the thread starter to change his/her
    nickname...........

Chris A.:rolleyes:tabevil.

13. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    i'd expect much, much more from you, sir. pity.

14. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

:confused:

15. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    BE NICE TO THE PLEBIANS, DAMMIT :mad:

16. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

Thanks. I'll do that - when they don't act like disrespectful hosebags. :)

17. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico

INTERNET ENGLISH FOR DUMMIES

2 = To
    4 = For
    @ = At
    r = Are
    sum = Some
    plz = Please

Editorial: if the song is "damn easy" why don't you tab it yourself punk.

18. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    I dont know how he is violation. Whats wrong with being a punk? Fcuk isnt even a word, its an acronym. I see no problem...not that it matters.

19. punk_as_xxxx

punk_as_xxxx Member

Mar 2, 2002
    england manchester
    well it dont matter anymore cause my E string broke :( ohwell back 2 masterbation 4 a while

20. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Review the history before you open your mouth. Nobody here has ever had a probably with someone learning, what he have a problem with is arrogance and rudeness.

It's amazing how quick some people are to jump to unsubstantiated conclusions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.