1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

give me the skinny on the peavey T-40 bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by oldironsights, Mar 15, 2009.

1. oldironsights

oldironsights

Jun 13, 2008
    LAS VEGAS
    I was just browsing the internet like I love to do when bored and found a beautiful looking bass imo, the peavey t-40 can anyone give me the scoop on these basses?? ex. years of production, sound wise (compare to other basses), and anything else you might know. Really might pick one up due to how cool they look to me.

2. kingpin2512

kingpin2512

Aug 9, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Check out the club. Also look at elifs sheet. Sorry i know i spelt his user name wrong. Hes got awhole thread on the specs.

3. Grizzly700

Grizzly700

Mar 18, 2008
    Maryville, TN
    Made in America late-70's, early 80s. (mines an 83) Great tone, solid construction, pbassy neck. VERRYYYY HEAVY. Mine sounds like a Pbass when all the pups are turned up. I use flats on it, very thumpy.

4. Yes, notoriously heavy. Built like a tank. Lots of usable tones. More of a P bass neck. Mostly came in natural with maple necks. Colors not as common and rosewood necks less common still.

5. Grizzly700

Grizzly700

Mar 18, 2008
    Maryville, TN
    Oo guess I got a good one, black and rosewood? :D

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

Yep. I might do the same thing, not liking mine either.

Very heavy. Most versatile passive bass ever made. Can get neck humbucker and single coil tones, bridge humbucker and single coil tones, all combinations thereof, plus a phase switch that gives you several more two pickup sounds, and seems to make a slight difference in the sound of the bridge pickup when soloed. Very heavy. Solid, thick neck. Very well made. Great hardware. Very heavy. Can do a fair imitation of a Rick. Very heavy.

In spite of all of the tones that the bass is capable of, the weight, and general thumpiness to most of the settings make it my least favorite of all of my basses.

Oh, did I mention that they are very heavy?

7. StarscreamG1

StarscreamG1

Dec 17, 2007
    :crying::crying::crying:

I can't give you all the tech answers that others are giving, OP. But I can tell you they are tone monsters, necks are P like but comfortable IMO. They were made from 78-85 as far as I know. Natural/maple is the most common....sianna burst is one of the rarest colors...as are the solid ones and yes, one with a rosewood fretboard is rare too. T40FLs are pretty rare also (fretless) but they are out there.

They are big, solid, thick, in your face and can stop a charging Yak. I have read here where they have fallen down stairs uncased and been fine, someone said theirs fell out of their car not in its case and it was ok (granted the car was only going a couple MPH I think but still)...someone also implied something about theirs stopping a bullet in a barroom brawl... Get hit with one of these (providing the welder /can/ swing it around) and they will make you see god. . . shoot I dropped mine on my big bare toe one night and I saw god for that matter.....:bag:

8. Essthreetee

Essthreetee

Aug 19, 2007
    Visalia, CA
    OK...I keep hearing that these are HEAVY...but how heavy is heavy? Anyone have a weight on theirs??? Just curious...

9. lmfreeman9

lmfreeman9 Supporting Member

Sep 1, 2007
    Arizona
    Skinny-nothing skinny about them. I had one that must have been about 13-14 lbs., the Markbass amp I tested it thru (and ended up buying and keeping much longer than the bass) weighed less. Very versatile, plays good, sounds good-except the pickups weren't hot enough for me. Did I mention it's a little heavy? Oh yeah, Ross Vallory from Journey used to play one. (Until I think he developed back problems)

10. The heaviest one I weighed was 12.6 lbs. They are heavy but not in the 13- 14lb range :eyebrow:

11. I know they get worshipped here, but I bought 2 and hated both of them. If you doubt me, check my signature.

One was a converted fretless, and it was terrible from the get go. I don't judge too much based off of this one.

The second I won off the bay, and I had it set up, and tried to play it. It did a great job of imitating, but not recreating. The electronics sounded thin, and it didn't have any useable tones in my book. They were very touchy.

The neck is not P-bass, but much thicker. More baseball bat. I played it side by side with my American P I had at the time. Just didn't feel right. It was heavy, and you felt every pound of it. I bought large straps to help with the weight, and it still wasn't much help.

I highly suggest playing one, as opposed to buying sight unseen. I hated it, and wasted money, close to 200, figuring that out.

12. Grizzly700

Grizzly700

Mar 18, 2008
    Maryville, TN
    I just weighed mine on my inaccurate bathroom scales and it was upwards of 15 pounds.

13. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Here's mine:

WeightT-40.

14. :eyebrow: My point exactly...........I think :confused:

I use a very accurate digital fish scale to weigh my basses.

15. bigfatbass

bigfatbass Banned

Jun 30, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Endorsing Artist: Karl Hoyt Basses
    mine was 13.5 on a postal scale. back breaking, great sounding, amazingly versatile, standard P-esque neck, natural/maple, and never got played. They could be the only production bass ever made where the weight was actually the only issue, and it was a complete deal breaker. Don't even remember what I sold it for.

It takes a special player to handle one of those on their shoulder 150 nights a year!

I'd love to get one again, and saw it down to the size of a steinberger, and use it as a studio/demo work-horse.

I still have my t-60 guitar. Almost everything you can say about the bass version applies to the guitar model. Unbelievable pallet of available tones from a passive, and you need help to get it off your lap.

16. The one I weighed on a postal scale to ship to Canada weighed 13 pounds, two ounces. That was before packing, no strap and no strings.

17. duckbutter

duckbutter

Mar 30, 2005
    They sound great, but man are they heavy!!

18. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    give me the skinny on the peavey T-40 bass

That's easy...there is nothing "skinny" on a T40, glad I could help!

19. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Now that's irony. He wants the "skinny" on one of the heaviest basses around. :D