Give me your ideas for a week-long vacation!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by BertBert, May 14, 2004.

1. BertBert

Nov 9, 2002
    My wife and I had scheduled to take a week-long vacation in mid-July to the Canadian Rockies, but for financial reasons we had to back out of it. We had booked a vacation package that cost around $3000 and for one reason or another that was just too much. We still want to do a vacation, and we have the time off from work. But now we're looking for something relatively low-budget and perhaps within driving distance of where we live, which is Indianapolis. Although with gas prices being what they are, flying somewhere might in some instances be cheaper... and we have a local airline (ATA) which can fly to some major cities fairly inexpensively. So flying is not totally out of the question.

So, any ideas? Here are some that we've had and which we've ruled out:
    - East Tennessee/Smoky Mountains. It's beautiful there, but we've vacationed there several times already and we're looking for something different.
    - Washington, D.C. We're both history/politics buffs and would love to spend some time in the nation's capital, but it's just going to be too hot in D.C. in July. We don't like heat.
    - So I guess on that note we've ruled out places that get really hot or humid, like the Gulf Coast or Florida.

We took our honeymoon in the U.P. of Michigan and we had a great time, so that's one place we've considered. We've also thought about Colorado, because I've been there a couple of times on business and my wife has never been there, plus we have friends in Denver; but that seems kind of far away if we're going to drive. And we had similar thoughts about upstate New York or possibly New Hampshire.

So... let's hear it from you.
  2. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Turner Falls, Ok. Nice place, nothing around, it's hot, but got plenty of places to cool down.
  3. atldeadhead

Jun 17, 2002
    Well it's kind of a long haul from Indiana but I know my wife and I enjoy a week long trip to Destin, FL. We usually rent a condo for the week so we can prepare our own meals and save even more money. Nothing beats a week on the beach, reading a good book and just relaxing in the sunshine. Makes me wish I was there right now.
  4. TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    go to Jackson Hole and go hiking/biking/fishing and enjoy the unbelievable beauty. awesome place. :)
  5. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR

I second the Jackson Hole idea... it is simply beautiful.
  6. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

All the above suggestions are excellent. I really like all the places mentioned...East Tennessee , Jackson Hole, Yellowstone, Destin/Pensacola. I'll add The Florida Keys.

But I say for a six or seven day vacation you can't beat a cruise. Everything is included. If you go on one of Royal Caribbean's newest ships such as Mariner of the Seas, there are so many fun things to do on board. They have a rock climbing wall, basketball court, in-line skate ring, ice skating rink, putt-putt golf, jogging track, fully equiped gym, swimming, of course, fabulous shows at night, unlimited food, and wonderful scenery at each port, even if you don't ever get off the ship! Oh, I forgot to mention the many bands that play at various venues on the ship day and night.

The new crusie ships are so big, have so many amenities, and are so comfortable that they are hard to beat. I used to think cruising was just for the rich. Well the rich folks get the fancy suites with balconies, etc. But I have now seen why so many people of moderate means cruise and families with small children cruise. It really works out on a day-to-day average to be quite economical.

It is just a thought to consider...if not this year, another year. Whatever you decide, have a great time.
  7. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Driving distance from Indy? Galena, IL and up through SW Wisconsin. Gentle beauty...
  8. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    My wife and I are going to Colorado for a little over a week. First Colorado Springs and then Estes Park. We're driving and I believe it's about a 16 hour drive. It's probably not too much further than that from Indy. Just spread the drive out over two days!

Another thing you might want to do is look at US vacation packages at Just look at states that are around you and see what they have available. Some of the packages are good deals. I used them for the Colorado Springs portion of our vacation and we got 4 nights at this cool looking inn plus 2 massages each, champagne and strawberries etc... for less than what it would have cost us to just call them up and book a room for 4 nights. The package price even included tax. It's auction style.

brad cook
  9. Fo' Shizzle

Fo' Shizzle

Aug 28, 2003
    I'll throw in a vote for Eastern Tennessee. I lived in Chattanooga for 6 yrs. Most beautiful place I ever lived. C-town sits in a valley surrounded by 2 mountains and two ridgelines. the mighty Tennessee River runs through the center of town. Several gillion $'s of development has transformed downtown into a really cool scene.
    Great food, IMAX theater, The Aquarium(don't miss...), minor league baseball(in a new ballpark on the river), etc...
    The area is also rich in Civil War history. All railroads heading south came thru there. I remember on my first visit being amazed at these huge antebellum mansions with monuments in the front yard. The Chickamauga Battlefield is just south of town.
    'Good times,

ps Don't miss an Irish pub just north of the river called Durty Nellie's. Trust me
  10. from Indy head up US-31 to Michigan. stay in Saugatuck on the wast coast then follow the coast up to Travers Bay then to Mackinaw Isand. Get some fudge then head into Canada to Toronto for a few days then down to Niagra Falls..(the Canadian side). then back home through the Allegheny Mountains . I did this did this exact trip about 10 years ago. took 10 days. I thought it was fun.
  11. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Bloomington, Indiana, home of Indiana University?

A beautiful drive just South of there will take you through hills and forests to French Lick, IN, a quaint town with a huge historic hotel. Very picturesque.
  12. Mount toilet !!

Just go to a spa. Massage... always good for the mind and body.
  13. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    I'll second the cruise idea. I know you said no where hot, but they have different places. :) My aunt took a cruise in alaska [royal caribbean cruise lines i think] and really enjoyed it. My freshman year of high school-our showchoir went on a Royal Caribbean Cruise was on the Majesty of the Seas [i think] wasn't all that expensive especially for the school trip. I've priced out going again on my own or with a parent or some friends. Really cost effective for all the enjoyment. I'm in Lafayette, i'd say come here, but-the main place that i can think of that is good to stay [or so i've heard] is the Loeb House Bed & Breakfast that is just down the road from my house. However, i don't really think there's much to do here. That's all
  14. kanti

kanti Guest

Feb 22, 2004
    Eugene, Oregon
    IMO, Alaska would be very fun to visit. Polar bear poaching is very fun (except when you have to drag them back to civilization, any way.) It's good money as well.
  15. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR

I would also like to throw in Yosemite. I have been to most National Parks on the West Coast (including Yellowstone), and Yosemite wins, hands down.

Also, you can either throw down tons of money at a ncie hotel, or go dirt cheap for a week in a tent for less than 100 bucks.
  16. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Go to Cancun! The wife & I just got back from there & its friggen awesome... If you like to snorkel or dive, its amazing! The ONLY place in the WORLD that's better, is Austrailia's great barrier reef.
  17. McHAck did you know that in Cancun and all of Mexico the sewer from the hotels and whatnot go's directly into the water about 50 feet out max. I was flying over the Bay of Acapulco on my way down to Pueto Escondido and I could see a brown ring of caca encasing the shore line. :p I try not to swim or surf near highly populated areas in Mexico. I love Mexico but don't trust the water.