1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Give me your Warwick Corvette $$ thoughts

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sublab, Nov 6, 2010.

1. I've yet to play this bass and there's a lot of competition in its price range, but it's construction (especially the dubble humbuckers) appeals to me more than say a Sandberg California series. I see a lot of Warwick disliking on TB and I wonder why. I play a cheap Warwick Rockbass Corvette right now, being on a bass playing hiatus for nearly three years after selling a 1979 Ibanez Roadster and an old Trace Elliot amp. The Warwick Rockbass is 'ok' for getting back on track but it lacks every bit of character and feel to it (it's quite good for its price range though!). So I was wondering how any of the Corvette $$ players out there feel about this particular bass. I'm playing pretty much any kind of style these days and a bass guitar has never been just a rythm instrument to me, and I'm not into any kind of signature sound whatsoever - all that matters to me as a bass player is that my main bass should be as ful in highs as in lows and growl if I want it to, or be detailed and pure if the moment calls for it. I play the bass and do most of the singing in a rockband that jams on mostly experimental stuff, with inspirations drawn from anything between The Doors, Pink Floyd, Tool, and what have you.... Any or all thoughts are absolutely welcome!

2. 5string5fingers

5string5fingers Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2008
    Tifton,Georgia
    Most people don't like wicks because of their weight and notoriously thick necks. Apart from that,many people can doubt their construction and quality. They're great basses.

3. Doctor J

Doctor J

Dec 23, 2005
    Had a 5 string. Didn't like the 16.5mm string spacing or the log of a neck. Did like tone that would blow away any Stingray.

4. nato101010

nato101010

Dec 12, 2009
    Ontario
    My Warwick Corvette $$ is very light, only 8 pounds.
    The neck is also not very thick, quite thinner then my Grabber.

Beautiful tone, awesome looks, amazing construction.
    And, the used resale value is crap...which is really good if you want to buy used, but bad if you want to sell it.

5. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2009
    I had one and couldnt adjust, so i sold it.
    Then I thought I should give it another try and bought another one and now i GET IT.
    Slightly thicker neck in a round way that is odd at first but gets to be REALLY comfortable. The tone is not what youd expect at first, having a pronounced mid hump of sorts, but once you spend time with it you will find LOTS of ways to take advantage of that.. I own a Stingray 4H, a Stingray 4HH, a Fender Jazz, and the $$.. these are the four basses i would ever need. very versatile once your familiar with it...

6. Really? I noticed neither characteristic with my Corvette $$ 5, although the neck shape and feel are different:
    WarwickDoubleBuck006.
    I like playing this with one pickup set for single coil and the other set for parallel or series.

7. 5string5fingers

5string5fingers Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2008
    Tifton,Georgia
    Right. I was only making a comment about wicks in general,referring to the op's comment about hate towards warwicks around here, Basses like the thumb and some standard corvettes with bubinga bodys are heavy,and when I played a standard corvette 5 a few years ago the neck was really thick.

8. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I actually find Warwick necks quite thin. They are very nice.
    Also my Streamer is the lightest bass I've ever had.
    And the new RockBass 5's have 19mm spacing.

I just proved all the Warwick myths wrong :)
    Although I don't know of another Warwick 5 (RB OR German) that has 19mm spacing. I'd love to see one. I need one.

9. NoHomework81

NoHomework81

Jul 27, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    I did not have a good experience with my $$ (Not Rockbass). The flexibility of the 2 giant humbuckers was pretty cool, but in the end I sold it 8 months later for 1/2 what I paid for it.

My experience
    -One tuner broke within a week (Warwick CS is great; they sent another tuner right away)
    -Black hardware tended to bubble up/flake off/rust very quickly
    -I remember wanting to change out the electronics
    -Brass frets sounded like a cool idea, but just didn't play nice with stainless or nickle strings IMO
    -Bit on the heavy side (relative to similarly sized basses)
    -Finally something happened to the truss rod and the neck refused to adjust

I'm sure I got a lemon, but I probably won't buy Warwick anytime soon

10. nato101010

nato101010

Dec 12, 2009
    Ontario
    The bubbling hardware surprises me.

11. NoHomework81

NoHomework81

Jul 27, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Surprised me too. Can't say for sure what happened: bad run of hardware, exposure to humidity before I bought it, who knows? Either way, the bridge really started to lose the finish and got this flaky oxidation all over it.

12. Shroom

Shroom

Dec 12, 2006
    th_vette3.

I absolutely love my $$. It is very well-put-together, and the tone is fantastic. It wasn't set up well from the factory, but after a $20 professional set-up it plays and sounds like a dream. The one thing you need to watch out for is, if you get a five string, the bridge saddle for the low-B will need to be adjusted to allow you to put normal strings on it. Otherwise, you will be stuck with the very few string varieties that have a tapered B.

This was definitely a dud. You just got unlucky :/

13. I've had my Corvette $$ 5 string for about a year and a half and just love it. Just like the photo above...Nirvana black beauty.

I have played it with flats all that time. First, I used Sadowsky stainless flats (really nice tones) and now I'm using DD Chromes which took a little getting used to but which stiffens up the B string vs the Sad's. I like the tighter feel of the chromes, but miss the Sadowsky sound.

The phasing switches on the pickups are great and give you all kinds of sounds. I also love the fact that you can play active or passive...both sound great.

The word I always use to describe this Warwick's tone is BOMP.

I find the spacing comfortable but am not a slapper, so that could be a consideration.

I also have a Lakland 55-01 fretless. Like having two kids....I love 'em both.

I would also like to kill the Warwick neck myth. Yes, it's a little thicker, but I find it very comfortable on long gigs.

The Lakland neck is quite different (19mm spacing), but I like it as well....thinner than the 'wick but wide and flat....much nicer than a Squier 5 string neck IMHO.:bassist:

14. skywalkersurfs

skywalkersurfs

Sep 11, 2008
    I sure like mine. I would describe it as an aggressive sounding instrument(in a great way), not a real polished hi-fi sound. I've received many compliments on it's big bright shiny pickups and it's tone, especially through my buddies Ampeg rig. I think it sounds best through an Ampeg type sounding amp versus a hi-fi one.

15. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

Oct 31, 2009
    I've had my Corvette $$ 4 for around 7 months, and it's amazing IMO.

It was set up perfectly when it arrived and I haven't had to make any adjustments besides setting the intonation when I changed strings - I will mention that I had a bit of trouble with that but only because I didn't understand the instructions properly and didn't unlock the bridge first. Doh.

The neck is thicker than any other bass I've ever owned, but I've found it to be the most comfortable.

Stays in tune very well (it arrived in the UK from the USA, took about 12 days, and was perfectly in tune straight out of the case!)

The tone is awesome, I can pretty much get any sound out of it that I need, and the active/passive push/pull thingy is pretty useful.

Weighs in at 8.6 lbs.

The woods and the finish are stunning. Hardware is excellent. Small issue with the strap button screws - after a couple of weeks use they were pulling out of the wood. But a tiny drop of glue in the holes before screwing them back in has fixed that right up.

Can't think of any more to say other than that I wouldn't be without mine!

16. Thanks for the input!

17. Zitch

Zitch

May 12, 2010
    Akron, Oh
    I went from a rockbass Fortress to The Corvette $$, big differences in my opinion, for the better. The only thing that would make it better imo is a 3 band eq instead of the 2 band, not a big deal since I can Eq on the amp, it would just be nice to have the option. The neck is thicker but it is so comfortable, and I have small hands, I do have the 4 string so im not sure how the 5 feels. I slap on mine fine, the only problem with slap though is when im popin my finger tips have wore a spot in the finish, im still trying to figure out out to remedy that.

18. KsPiNeSh

KsPiNeSh

Mar 28, 2008
    Kansas City
    I'm a Warwick fan and I tried relly hard to like them, but in the end there was really only one tone that was usable to my ears and it was a bit muddy. I played several in hopes of finding one that I got along with, but no dice. I think I'm just not a fan of ash bodies with their neck woods... too dark for my tastes. Lots of people like them and get them to sound great, so it's definitely worth trying one out for yourself :)

19. well here we all are again, the unofficial warwick $$ gang. and of course i never get tired of singing the praises of this great instrument. it's definitely one of the best choices in that price range, the main competition being the stingray HH. the warwick won me over because it has more frets, a compact body design, and better pickup placement. the two pickups sound more focused when used together, and the neck pickup is positioned so that it can get a more useable sound (sort of like a hot, hi-fi P-bass).

another reason i chose the corvette is that i didn't want a bass that would be considered "classic" in any way. i feel like sometimes the history behind certain models can be burdensome, and may even affect the way people play them. my goal was to buy a bass that would encourage me to push forward without concern for the past. so i wanted something reputable and respected, but not tied to any particular genre or time period.

although the complaints about warwicks being heavy are generally true, it's a non-issue with the corvette $$. they use lightweight swamp ash on most of them. neck thickness is a tricky one, but i can tell you that my $$ (a 2008 model) has a very reasonable neck. not too thick at all, unless you're into jazz basses and like playing a toothpick with strings. however, my friend also has a corvette $$ (his is a 2006 i think) and that neck is definitely very thick. so i guess it can vary between different years, meaning you'll have to try before you buy.

the one real concern i would mention is that this bass is an amp eater. it has a tendency to overload the inputs on amps, even nice ones. my TC RH450 had a difficult time handling it; the sound just lacked any sense of space or freedom, and certain frequencies suffered as a result. i now use a markbass little mark 800 (no tube), which has enough headroom to handle the $$. in fact, it's a near-perfect bass/amp pairing.

20. Thanks Ironlung!

I'm getting a Gallien Krueger 700RB-II amp in a lightyear or so - having never actually played this amp but heard lots about GK in general and read reviews on this particular one, they do seem impressive. Wonder if anyone out here has had the opportunity to test 'em. I've been going thru all the bass manufacturers I can come across, on TB mostly, and everytime I end up making a selection of basses that, even without live testing, will fit the bill. Here's some of my criteria: my band plays very different styles so my bass needs to cover styles accordingly, hence I select only basses that have wide range of tone. Surprisingly my Warwick Rockbass Corvette has exactly that, only without any character or punch; I like my basses on the heavy side - not because of some masochistic love of heavy instruments, but because the best basses I've played always had their weight; 24 frets are preferred (will go for less); and last: looks... there are many basses out there that would fit the bill but are butt ugly and I just can't get myself around this. Even the Warwick Corvette $$ is not my cup of tea lookwise (small body), but its dubble humbuckers look pretty good on a natural finish, IMO. The closest rival is a Sandberg California PM, or a Spector Rebop. How about those Rebops anyway; the Euro XL series sound great (on You Tube), so how about its cheaper brother?

Anyway, thanks for all the input!